One for Howard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
[YOUTUBE]ZZ4dlAIW8so[/YOUTUBE]

I've been there...pitched up in the camp site on the bank where this is being filmed from.

Weirdly enough , i handled this incident while manning the Duty Desk that weekend. :)

There's a bit of a story , which i wont go into here as there are a few insurance details to be sorted out at the moment.

A bit foolish to be out on that level of water and flow. I've seen a narrow boat trapped across a similar bridge and another backwards down a wier.

The first one had to be cut up, the second was dragged off, and refloated using large pumps and plenty of plugging of water access points.

Saw a narrowboat that had rolled over an open weir on the Avon ... was a right mess.

You'll like this one that is currently underwater at Godstow bridge then ......

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
5. Now , Godstow bridge isn't strong enough to support a crane , so getting it out once the river has calmed down is going to prove tricky !

Those photos were all taken less than a minute apart !

The amount of sunken boats / boats on weirs we have got after the last enhanced flows is unreal.

Last edited:
Oops, just seen your later photo's.

It looks like it was in use at the time, not a good idea in flood conditions as well as the fast water you get a lot of debris floating.

The one that went down the weir got something on the prop that stopped the engine dead.

I've seen another one rolled after punting the bow into the bank to wind and the river not being wide enough.
The daft thing is there is a junction only 100 metres further downstream.

Last edited:
It looks like an old Springer, in which case it's probably better sunk...

Narrowboats and fast water don't mix well. The only one I know that was powerful enough in a good stream was my Brothers...but that did have a 3.7 litre engine. :D

That one pulled its mooring spikes as the river level rose I believe ....

Last edited:
This one went through the weir ( in bits ) on Monday ..... :crazy:

Shame , looks like it was a nice Birchwood 25

Last edited:
This one pulled its mooring spikes as the river level rose I believe ....

Same as the one I saw across a bridge. I've seen a barge down after getting the bow on the bank in flood then the water level going down.

We get proper floods, it was 4' deep at a Friends house recently.

We went down to the river on New Years Day to see it in full flow and a very impressive sight it was.

Howard, do you have any record of how fast the current was flowing? It looked very fast indeed.

Sunbury%201-1-13.jpg

Don't have speeds , but have volume.

At peak flow during this event , we had just shy of 400 cumecs ( cubic metres per second ) coming through teddington weir.

That's 400,000 litres per second.

Cheers. It was quite amusing to watch the Canada geese try (and fail) to swim against the current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom