One for the bucket list.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ted

MB Enthusiast
Car
Lexus RC300h F-Sport, Yamaha XVS 1100, Toyota C-HR GR sport
I'd love to! I'm coming to Scotland in April but I won't have the time to do the Big route, but one day :)

In July this year, Mrs(Mr)Kenny and I will be heading from Cheshire, to Loch Tay / Killin / Aberfeldy for a few days.
From there, in spirit if nothing else, following part of this route to Ullapool to catch the ferry to the Isle of Lewis for the HebCeltFest, and then back via the Bealach Na Ba and into Applecross. Home from there a few days later …

Not in an MB on this occasion (camping and other gear to carry) but in a Mitsi Warrior, so 4 wheels and 4 wheel drive to play with when applicable … And Ted - your comments are so appropriate about the views and scenery …

Wow that looks fantastic Definitely on my bucket list now
just wondering the logistics
1 Day to get there ,from Birmingham , 250 mls each day perhaps? 125 a.m 125 Pm adjusted to scenic stop offs 1 Day return back so perhaps a 4 day long weekend ?

That would be optimistic. Once you get near the Kyle of Lochalsh you turn off onto the A890 and it's pretty much all single track from there.
And if you do it you HAVE to do the Bealach.

Well said Ted. Anyone going anywhere near the West Coast would do better to leave their wristwatch at home. While on Lewis, I was told that there is no Gaelic word for tomorrow.
''Nothing so urgent'' is what I was told...

tjamesbo said:
Wow that looks fantastic Definitely on my bucket list now just wondering the logistics 1 Day to get there ,from Birmingham , 250 mls each day perhaps? 125 a.m 125 Pm adjusted to scenic stop offs 1 Day return back so perhaps a 4 day long weekend ?

You could just manage 250 miles a day up here but you would be trying to go so fast that you would miss everything you need to see.

It would be best to take a week or maybe more to see what you'd need to.

You really won't want to go fast.
Coming back from Lochcarron last year, 5.30 am, just outside the village and there was a stag and about five hinds crossing the road. Stag stood across the road looking at us while his girls crossed the road at their own pace then off he trotted.
Magnificent sight that I won't forget in a hurry

You could just manage 250 miles a day up here but you would be trying to go so fast that you would miss everything you need to see.

It would be best to take a week or maybe more to see what you'd need to.

Any time I have been in those parts my progress has been impeded by the need to stop and get out the camera.

I've never managed to do as much as I actualy intended on any given day.

We did a similar trip some years ago. Flew to Inverness and took hire car across to west coast then all the way round and back. Took a week with stops and was a fantastic trip. Also did the sleeper from Euston to F William then hire car across Skye and ferry to N Uist. Drove all over the islands. Fantastic places and such beautiful scenery too.

Harris next to pick up some Tweed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom