One for the doggy lovers out there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyw

Car
2005 W203 C200K SE Coupe, 05 BMW X3, Kawasaki 636 Ninja
We have just picked up a new addition to our family! :bannana:

Meet "Sam" :D

07B91CE0D1B811D9A08949B353686C0A.jpg

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
aaaw - he is adorable. Hope your're ready for a Black Lab pup, or rather your house and car are :devil: :D

Remember Sam as he is now............they grow :rolleyes: Nice dog though, hope you are all happy, I would be.

pammy said:
aaaw - he is adorable. Hope your're ready for a Black Lab pup, or rather your house and car are :devil: :D

he's actually quite calm (I think he is lulling us into a false sense of security)

first night on his own last night - nothing destroyed this morning :eek: bed in the same place, even the newspaper that we put down wasn't touched!

andyw said:
he's actually quite calm (I think he is lulling us into a false sense of security)

first night on his own last night - nothing destroyed this morning :eek: bed in the same place, even the newspaper that we put down wasn't touched!

oh just wait - next few days maybe two weeks will be OK - then all hell will break loose. If you haven't already got a copy, Gwen Bailey's The Perfect Puppy will be a life saver! Well worth the investment and helps you see what's coming up ahead and try and head it off at the pass ;)

I've got a copy if you wanted to borrow it.

Ian B Walker said:
Remember Sam as he is now............they grow :rolleyes: Nice dog though, hope you are all happy, I would be.

thanks Ian - seems like we've taken a million pictures of him already - he's only 10 weeks old but he's got Maaahooosive paws, so he's going to be a "big un"

Pam - I had a springer a few years ago - he's working for the drug squad now, so I'm fairly prepared for the more livelier moments of ownership :D

andyw said:
Pam - I had a springer a few years ago - he's working for the drug squad now, so I'm fairly prepared for the more livelier moments of ownership :D

Shouldn't come as much of a shock though although Lab's do tend to chew a tad more than most Springers ;) Both being gun dog's you'll know about their mental agility as well as physical.

Hope the breeder warned you about not overdoing the exercise for a few months ;)

Sorry - don't want to teach Granny to suck eggs and all that, but I am a doggy person just trying to help ;)

pammy said:
Shouldn't come as much of a shock though although Lab's do tend to chew a tad more than most Springers ;) Both being gun dog's you'll know about their mental agility as well as physical.

Hope the breeder warned you about not overdoing the exercise for a few months ;)

Sorry - don't want to teach Granny to suck eggs and all that, but I am a doggy person just trying to help ;)

no worries Pammy, he's a smartie thats for sure - just been pootling around the garden so far, gets tired and has a nap when he's had enough!

He's had better breeding than me ;) Daddy goes to Crufts!

andyw said:
Pam - I had a springer a few years ago - he's working for the drug squad now,

And I still have one, he is on the drugs :eek:

Buy a crate!

Buy a crate!

Buy a crate!

I know they look like doggy prisons to us but to a dog it rapidly becomes "his" space and they will naturally try very hard not to make a mess in it.

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp51/cc/dog-training/dog-crate.shtml

I had my doubts but we have done this for two Giant Schnauzer puppies now and it worked very well.

Last edited:
Satch said:
Buy a crate!

Buy a crate!

Buy a crate!

I know they look like doggy prisons to us but to a dog it rapidly becomes "his" space and they will naturally try very hard not to make a mess in it.

I never thought that I would agree with this but it is true, we have a Jack Russell who has started suffering from separation anxiety, mostly at night but during the day too, he started chewing and wrecking the furniture. The advice from the dog shrink was to get him a cage and it has done the trick, he loves it and goes in his 'den' voluntarily now.

yup - I'm a big fan of crates too :rock:

If you do need one - I have a couple I no longer need. Big too - so would suit a lab.

pammy said:
yup - I'm a big fan of crates too :rock:

If you do need one - I have a couple I no longer need. Big too - so would suit a lab.

Pammy, thanks for the offer!! I'll consult SWMBO and I'll let you know - we aren't too far away either!

Just goes to show what a great website this is!!

:bannana:

if you really realy want to know about boisterous dogs feel free to take a loan of my doberman for a few days (not that i ever want to get rid of him. he is my p & j) ---- i swear you'll be blessing black labs and oher dogs behaviours by the end of the day!

Dobermans are so loyal and loving but suffer from severe personality disorders. I remember the day i went to piuck him up...he was sitting there all cute (he is a rarer liver brown coloured dobs) and then as soon as i said 'that one' George (as he is now known) went mental.

Wasnt a problem when i lived in the larger family home but now i look after him in my house its a pleasure - pain thing going on!

oh - and if you are in any doubt its the breed, its not my first doberman...they are all like it from my experience. And i wont be my last one!

Many years ago when I lived in Africa my Dad came home with an "unwanted" female puppy. Friend of his was a breeeder and the litter was the result of an unintended union so he was letting them go friends.

Now the mother was an English Bull Terrier and the father a Dobermann. End result had the classic black and brown Dobermann colouring, shorter, a lot broader, hugely strong and whilst excellent with family & children it was a complete sod with strangers and other animals

Woe betide anyone or anything which came into our house or garden. Even as a puppy she would take on anything and by 12 months old had killed a spitting Cobra, a cat, taken a lump out of the full grown Alsatian next door and in general went around giving off the dog version of "You looking at me??"

But we were lucky to have got a bitch: the dogs were utterly bonkers.

Loveley pup mate!!

I have a black lab just turned 10yrs old last month.

You will be lucky if he does not destroy your house!! ours went on the rampage for his first 3yrs destroying everything in site :eek: took a liking to the tv/vcr remote (he had 3 of them) one day there was only half remaining then when i walked him he produced the play, record and pause buttons (in his poo!!), he chewed through the house alarm wires under the carpet causing the alarm to go off and was unable to stop it! and seemed to like one particular piece of wall (plasterboard) in the hallway when we went out and chewed a hole in it! (got so fed up re-filling it after the 4th time i left it until we moved)

Honestly though they make a great pet and he is great with kids. Mine just sleeps most of the day now but will still have 2-3 good walks a day and get the energy for a good playfight from somewhere! :)

blicky_1 said:
Loveley pup mate!!

I have a black lab just turned 10yrs old last month.

You will be lucky if he does not destroy your house!! ours went on the rampage for his first 3yrs destroying everything in site :eek: took a liking to the tv/vcr remote (he had 3 of them) one day there was only half remaining then when i walked him he produced the play, record and pause buttons (in his poo!!), he chewed through the house alarm wires under the carpet causing the alarm to go off and was unable to stop it! and seemed to like one particular piece of wall (plasterboard) in the hallway when we went out and chewed a hole in it! (got so fed up re-filling it after the 4th time i left it until we moved)

Honestly though they make a great pet and he is great with kids. Mine just sleeps most of the day now but will still have 2-3 good walks a day and get the energy for a good playfight from somewhere! :)

:eek:

What have we done!!!! ;) he's got about a million chewy toys now - I can't believe how well he has settled in! Slept through 2 nights now without crying.

We've got a kiddie gate to stop him going into the lounge from the kitchen, he didn't like the door being shut as he could hear us but not see us then cried! (and scratched bless him) - but he is fine now with the gate up, just goes to his bed

Our 8 yr old finally clears his toys away now, as he now understands what happens when he doesn't ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom