One for W211 E55 owners...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vick N

Car
Audi RS4, 560SEC, 560SEL and E55K AMG
Hi all!

I’m a long time lurker and now a proud owner of an amazing E55K AMG as of last weekend! One of my bucket list cars and I’m in love with it.

I will put up an official thread with more pics and proper introduction but, for now, can you AMG wizards please advise me on a confusion I have using airmatic settings.

I have seen videos on YouTube and it shows the suspension mode/raise button being pressed and the setting being displayed on the instrument cluster. Now, mine doesn’t do that!?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My car raises perfect on lift mode, stiffens up according to setting I or II (as far as I can tell, and it’s noticeable), but it doesn’t show anything on the display. The previous owner had the clocks replaced by Mercedes Benz recently but he confirmed it never did it on the previous clocks too,
so it ruled that out. Is this a facelift or pre facelift thing. My car is a 2004 model with 200MPH instrument binnacle now. It has Lowering links fitted too. (If that matters). Could it be a coding issue that was changed at some point before the binnacle replacement?

8D2FF519-760A-4756-ACBA-BDF001A6FB71.jpeg

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Vick

Hi all!

I’m a long time lurker and now a proud owner of an amazing E55K AMG as of last weekend! One of my bucket list cars and I’m in love with it.

I will put up an official thread with more pics and proper introduction but, for now, can you AMG wizards please advise me on a confusion I have using airmatic settings.

I have seen videos on YouTube and it shows the suspension mode/raise button being pressed and the setting being displayed on the instrument cluster. Now, mine doesn’t do that!?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My car raises perfect on lift mode, stiffens up according to setting I or II (as far as I can tell, and it’s noticeable), but it doesn’t show anything on the display. The previous owner had the clocks replaced by Mercedes Benz recently but he confirmed it never did it on the previous clocks too,
so it ruled that out. Is this a facelift or pre facelift thing. My car is a 2004 model with 200MPH instrument binnacle now. It has Lowering links fitted too. (If that matters). Could it be a coding issue that was changed at some point before the binnacle replacement?

View attachment 78877

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Vick

Welcome Vick, nice choice lots off E55k owners on here. Quite a rare interior you have there. Look forward to the updates.
Michael

Welcome Vick, nice choice lots off E55k owners on here. Quite a rare interior you have there. Look forward to the updates.
Michael

Hi Michael! Thank you!

I wanted a non sunroof model in black so it took a while. The interior wasn’t to my liking in photographs but in person, I adore it. It has rear heated seats too which I haven’t seen before.

Sounds superb Vick, get those pics up please!

Hi Michael! Thank you!

I wanted a non sunroof model in black so it took a while. The interior wasn’t to my liking in photographs but in person, I adore it. It has rear heated seats too which I haven’t seen before.

Hi Vick. Glad you are enjoying the E55:thumb:
I too have an 04 model with the 200mph clock and can confirm my cluster doesn't show the airmatic changes when you press the button either.

If you look at your datacard, the pre facelift is an 804 bulid and post facelift is an 805. Actually, facelift isn't the correct term as the real facelift came in 06 with a few interior and exterior feature changes.

Hi Michael! Thank you!

Same here, I wanted black with no sunroof as well.

Welcome.

I have the 160 mph cluster which shows the suspension settings. Not sure if they got rid of it in the 200 mph clusters.

Anyone with a 805 build that can confirm?

I think it’s accessible through Star developer mode if it’s not showing up.

CLS55 05 (which is practically the same) shows Sports 1, Sports 2, or Comfort when the suspension button is pressed and whilst its changing. It only says car rising if the rough terrain/ speed bump button to the left is pressed. If the sport, manual , comfort button is pressed it only shows S,C,M to the right of the small mileage panel

Hi Vick. Glad you are enjoying the E55:thumb:
I too have an 04 model with the 200mph clock and can confirm my cluster doesn't show the airmatic changes when you press the button either.

If you look at your datacard, the pre facelift is an 804 bulid and post facelift is an 805. Actually, facelift isn't the correct term as the real facelift came in 06 with a few interior and exterior feature changes.

I’m absolutely loving it! It’s a steady family car one minute and an absolutely brute the next. Unlike my RS4 which was amazing, but one car. This is two in one!

My build is 804 according to the data card. ( no idea what the main difference is, maybe spec).

Probably a side affect of the later build 200mph clocks, lovely Interior, very unique
Thank you Lewis,

I know of an earlier car that did show the changes but, it had the 160 clocks.

Welcome.

I have the 160 mph cluster which shows the suspension settings. Not sure if they got rid of it in the 200 mph clusters.

Thank you,

Again, possibly as above.

Then I would say the 200 mph cluster was not coded in Vick.
Thank you.
I know a about VAGCOM that most VW audi cars use but how can I look into this on a Mercedes? Will STAR work?

I think it’s accessible through Star developer mode if it’s not showing up.

Brilliant, thank you. Any idea of anyone in Leeds who can do this?

My previous E55K 805 with 200 clocks did display Airmatic changes as you cycled through the modes.

Thank you John, that’s thrown a spanner in my theory

Maybe it can be coded in...

CLS55 05 (which is practically the same) shows Sports 1, Sports 2, or Comfort when the suspension button is pressed and whilst its changing. It only says car rising if the rough terrain/ speed bump button to the left is pressed. If the sport, manual , comfort button is pressed it only shows S,C,M to the right of the small mileage panel

Thank you, my car shows th dear gearbox modes, which I yet to work out how they work and hat they do (bar manual mode).

Quite a rare interior you have there.

I've only ever seen the blood red seats a couple of times. One owner with them is TDE1 although not seen him on here for a while (hope you are well mate!).

I’m absolutely loving it! It’s a steady family car one minute and an absolutely brute the next. Unlike my RS4 which was amazing, but one car. This is two in one!

That was one of many positives of the car for me. Amazing ability.

My build is 804 according to the data card. ( no idea what the main difference is, maybe spec).

Not many.

Clocks as you know.

There is a grille above the centre air vents. On 805s if it is a fine mesh instead.

The wiring loom was installed by humans again instead of by robots (more reliably results although not many 804s seems to have any more electrical gremlins than 805s on here - the main issue with these cars is there must be a strong source of power so a good alternator and batteries are required to avoid gremlins!).

Not sure if much else.

how can I look into this on a Mercedes? Will STAR work?

Star is the diagnostics for Mercs - you can do everything possible with them I understand although not cheap and normally some indes have them (not all).

Certainly MSLP in Birmingham have them and are a good outfit - not a million miles from Leeds and they come highly recommend by many including myself and know what they are doing!

my car shows th dear gearbox modes, which I yet to work out how they work and hat they do (bar manual mode).

Comfort just changes up quicker i.e. less revs. It starts in 2nd for less extreme starts (although if you hit the throttle hard enough, it will drop to first anyway).

Sport is the opposite.

I used Comfort most of the time and changed to sport when required (traffic light grand prix etc.).

Welcome.

Have aJan'04 with 200 mph clocks and airmatic shows on my display. Never bothered to look if it is 804 or 805 build but has the same centre slatted grill as Op's

My 55 is an April 04 build 160 mph clocks. 804 build with the visible raise function on the cluster. Peculiar how some have 200 clocks which are earlier builds than other 04 builds. Maybe the clocks were changed on some cars via owner mod. :dk:

All of mine av been the earlier 804 builds, never had any issues with wiring in any of them tbh. Radiators would be my main concern with the early cars.

Have aJan'04 with 200 mph clocks and airmatic shows on my display. Never bothered to look if it is 804 or 805 build but has the same centre slatted grill as Op's

It will be an 804 but with coded clocks.

All of mine av been the earlier 804 builds, never had any issues with wiring in any of them tbh. Radiators would be my main concern with the early cars.

No, I've not read any posts that I can recall with obscure issues caused by wiring.

I think MB had a large number of problems with early cars with problems which were cured by re-fitting the wiring loom (which of course is very expensive in terms of labour).

So they changed to human-installed.

But my previous 805 had a few electrical quirks even with good batteries and alternator albeit worse in colder weather / cooler weather.

Have read the later 805 build has a slightly higher or greater super charger. I think I have the correct information stated :confused:.

I’d hadn’t thought that would be more down to a software upgrade , I have heard similar things to though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom