One more written off...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A quick and short message as I'm quite tired and the codeine has started to kick in...

Tonight I had a little "encounter" while riding my motorbike... a car hit me (from the side, as I was driving into my driveway - he was coming from behind me and was going fast enough not to brake in time... ) while going at almost twice the speed limit, my foot (or rather, my boot) was one of the main points of impact.

I was extremely lucky, as the bike was knocked out clear from under me, landed on the cars bonnet, bumped my helmet on the bonnet then rolled onto the floor.

The helmet I can't recomend enough, I don't even have a stiff neck! My foot is in pain, and if tomorrow I still am in as much pain as I was in before the painkiller kicked in I may pass by the A&E... but I don't think anything's broken - a bruised knee and a bruised foot (and a wrecked bike) is the damage so far...

I do realise that adrenaline can mask the pain, but it's been almost 2 hours now; so I do think I'm ok. I can wiggle my toes and only have some very localised swelling on my foot...

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is: bikers... wear you gear, it really does save your life!

M.

A quick and short message as I'm quite tired and the codeine has started to kick in...

Tonight I had a little "encounter" while riding my motorbike... a car hit me (from the side, as I was driving into my driveway - he was coming from behind me and was going fast enough not to brake in time... ) while going at almost twice the speed limit, my foot (or rather, my boot) was one of the main points of impact.

I was extremely lucky, as the bike was knocked out clear from under me, landed on the cars bonnet, bumped my helmet on the bonnet then rolled onto the floor.

The helmet I can't recomend enough, I don't even have a stiff neck! My foot is in pain, and if tomorrow I still am in as much pain as I was in before the painkiller kicked in I may pass by the A&E... but I don't think anything's broken - a bruised knee and a bruised foot (and a wrecked bike) is the damage so far...

I do realise that adrenaline can mask the pain, but it's been almost 2 hours now; so I do think I'm ok. I can wiggle my toes and only have some very localised swelling on my foot...

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is: bikers... wear you gear, it really does save your life!

M.

Glad you are OK!

Sounds nasty. Did the police attend? The guy clearly needs talking to:mad:

Glad you seem to be OK. As you say, the benefits of good kit - and a healthy slice of good luck by the sound of it.

Get yourself checked out! Hope it's nothing that won't FULLY mend. Delaying could have an impact.

So the only Spinal inuries are your knee and your foot.

Hope you wrecked the guys bonnet.

I remember Bell helmets motto.
'If you've got a $10 head, put it in a $10 helmet'.

Glad to know you're ok.

Just woke up; my foot is a little swollen but doesn't look bad...

The guy does need a talking to, but as I know him since 9 years (i.e. since I've moved here) I felt that our friendship was more important than my bike so the police isn't involved... He was quite mortified last night, so I'll rub it in a little more today and over the next few days...

I'm really dreading opening the garage... I'm sure the dark hid a lot of the damage to the bike... I'mm take some pictures (my clearest memory is the scratch in the pavement that my bike - I'm assuming handlebar - did!)

M.

Very pleased to hear your still OK this morning.
I only dropped my bike once but was so glad of a good helmet, gloves and a jacket that cost more than my first bike.
All of which helped to keep my boyish good looks (who am I kidding!)

I am sure your mate knows the error of his ways, but it is a lesson to us all.

Visit hospital without delay to secure your well being and record the injuries in case you end up in litigation if things take a turn for the worse;)
Hope you mend soon

Good to hear you're OK - It's worth getting a doc to check you over though, even if you feel OK. You could have weaken something, which may cause issues later.

Hope the new job is going well, and this does not effect you, your family, or work.

M.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I was in a car accident on Wednesdsay night and it wan't until the early hours of Thursday morning that I started getting pains which gradually got worse over the day.

Get checked out mate, better to find any problems early.

Deker

Commiserations also - hope all goes well.
A timely reminder too - I'm off out on mine in a few minutes. I like to think I'm as careful as I can be, but things like these remind us we can NEVER be too careful.

As the others have said - get checked out and get it on the record!

hope you feel better soon! :thumb:

This is what insurance is for- blame doesn't come into it. As has been said GET IT ON THE RECORD asap and get your injuries checked out.

Glad it's not too serious - also a bit difficult when it's a good neighbour you know well to go down the litigitious route.

Will this affect your planned trip?

Hope your ok - you need to get your injuries checked out! You are 100% right about protective gear and not just a helmet - the number of scooter/bike riders I see with a t shirt and shorts on makes me wince as road burns are NOT nice! When I had a bike (years ago!!!) I had full face leather jacket and heavy levis or belstaffs minimum or in real crud weather full leathers (6 months of the year then!) One friend of mine had to have a graft on his thigh from his back or somewhere when he fell of his with shorts and trainers on. Urgh not nice and it took time to heal!!!!!!

I came off (CB550 and GT380 yes that long ago!!) a few time and due to this it was only my pride (and my bike) that got damaged not me!

Glad you are reasonably ok... the bike will hopefully be sorted under the insurance of the other party.

One thing though.... Did you forget to do a lifesaver before turning into your drive?

Sorry to hear this, glad you're okay. So you know the guy that ran you over?

Well main thing is you seem to be okay, don't worry about the bike, it's just metal as they say.

Thanks for all the wishes!

Just got back from the hospital, I ended up going to get an xray done just in case... nothing's broken :) I've been prescribed RICE and NSAIDs...

I had the T.P. over for lunch, we did some measurements... his skidmarks as he tried to stop are 3 times the length of his car (a tiny renault something or other). From the paint marks and scrapes on the floor, the bike was displaced 8meters before coming to a stop half on the pavement.

I did do a lifesaver - I just didn't realise the speed he was doing and was expecting him to stop instead of ramming into me :p He thought I was going to stop on the left side of the road (even though I was indicating right - as verified by his passenger) so thought he could overtake me... oh well, live and learn :)

I grabbed some pics of the bike... it seems fairly cosmetic other than the front headlamp fairing, rear seat area (looks "wrong") and the foot pegs which took the brunt.

His car has a hole in the licence plate from my footpeg, his bumper is almost falling off, his bonned is wrecked, and I detached one of the air-pipes inside the engine bay somehow :p

At the end of the day, we were extremely lucky. I'm fairly unhurt, and he (and his 4 passengers) are just a little shaken, but otherwise fine.

He's offered to pay for the damage, and I trust him - so I'm sure something will be worked out :)

I'll get some pics up asap (can't find my camera cable as usual!)

M.

EDIT: One word of advice - if you ever goto an A&E, just mentioning "motorbike and accident" in the same sentence seems to put you ahead of any queues :p I told them that I was purely non-urgent, and ended up being there for 4 hours... some interesting characters came and went though... (including a RAF guy in uniform with blood streaming down his hand - I thought they had their own medics?)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom