one side brake pad severely worn (almost down to metal) but rest are fine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

my wife's picasso's brake pads were changed about a year ago (by me). The discs were NOT changed.

Anyway, there has been a vibration thru the steering wheel and also a intermittent squeek from the wheel recently so i took the wheel off to discover ONE pad was almost completely worn down but the other one on the other side of the disc still was very good. This tyre is also badly worn. The other side of the car is not too bad either.

I suspect the tracking, what do you reckon? there doesnt seem to be any play in the wheel....

i'm going to get new tyres fitted, get the tracking done, and also fit new brake pads and discs to it.

thanks

Derek

Tracking won't affect the brake pads, sounds more like a sticking caliper to me?

Will

If the car has sliding type calipers then the caliper may have been jamming due to bent/corroded/dirty pin/s. If this is the case you need to service/replace the caliper. If its a fixed type caliper you need to check the piston/pins
Will beat me to it.:)

Sometimes get this on the trucks at work one pad very very low almost to the metal and other one has 8mm left!

Wind off caliper, check for sticking on the slides, new pads and away it goes again.

Worth pulling the piston gaiter up and having a look at the piston, only do this the end that touchs the pad and not the caliper end as on some the seal and the gaiter are one assy, or can only be fitted all at one time.

Remember its french so you will have to take old pad with you to part shop because there will be a million choices:D

Lynall

Sometimes get this on the trucks at work one pad very very low almost to the metal and other one has 8mm left!

Wind off caliper, check for sticking on the slides, new pads and away it goes again.

Worth pulling the piston gaiter up and having a look at the piston, only do this the end that touchs the pad and not the caliper end as on some the seal and the gaiter are one assy, or can only be fitted all at one time.

Remember its french so you will have to take old pad with you to part shop because there will be a million choices:D

Lynall

hi yeah when i got it last time there are two types; bosche and lucas. Can i remember what it was!? No! Wheel has to come off again tonight to check caliper brand :(

do you think this is also why the tyre is worn aswell or is that definatly the tracking?

apart from the obvious premature wear, if this is the problem is it dangerous? i'm not sure how long we are going to be keeping this car so dont want to go to expense for nothing. If the new pads last 1 year like the last ones did then that would be OK as they are only £15 a pair.

apart from the obvious premature wear, if this is the problem is it dangerous? i'm not sure how long we are going to be keeping this car so dont want to go to expense for nothing. If the new pads last 1 year like the last ones did then that would be OK as they are only £15 a pair.

It's a MoT failure, so I guess it is dangerous.
You can buy cheap caliper service kits to replace the seals, rather than replace the whole caliper.

It's a MoT failure, so I guess it is dangerous.
You can buy cheap caliper service kits to replace the seals, rather than replace the whole caliper.

just recently passed the MOT (about a month ago). Unless its something that has suddenly happened....

i'll check it out tonight

I used to get the genuine pads for my peugeot as they came with MEAS coated screws, new pins, rubber slider boots and sliders.

May be worth asking Citren what is included with the brake pads?

Dave!

turned out to be one of the rods on the caliper had siezed. Dismantled and a rub of copper grease later and all is fine again.

New discs and pads fitted.

new tyres and tracking getting done at the weekend.

Hi

did the other side of the car last night as i was having problems with undoing the caliper support to get the disc off. Basically my Torx-55 socket died on me trying to get the sized bolts off. Luckily it was a Halfords Pro one so i took it back and swapped it for a brand new one.

Anyway, got that off in the end. I had to use a clamp to clamp my socket to the bolt so it was nice and tight and then use all my force to undo the bolt. It kept on slipping out the torx bolt otherwise :(

anyway, so that came off in the end, only to reveal whoever did the disc last screwed up the torx bolt holding the disc on (rounded it) and the other bolt was actually snapped off!

Off to citroen for 2 new bolts. My main question is as the Wheel bolts go through the disc and screw into the hub, i guess these 2 small disc bolts are really only there to stop the disc from falling off/moving when the wheel is remoevd..... and you could actually just get away with one? i couldnt get one of the old bolts out.....

EDIT - Phone Citroen dealer - they only sell these in packs of 100 !! £32.50+vat. I think i'll try b&q or homebase for a similar bolt....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom