One Thank you, Your choice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thought for the day. Remember to never ask anyone who they'd like to thank:(

R2 - as you said to me once a while ago do not let the 'well poisoners get you dispirited - look on the bright side!:bannana:

It's not a 'misquote', intentional or otherwise.
You seem to have this opinion that people should know their place and that's not an attempt to turn this into a class war, you said 'traditional families' which to me would mean the millions of families that go about their business quietly and are what I would call the working class of today (working a normal forty hour job, worrying about paying their mortgage/rent etc etc)

Sweetpea, I did not mention 'traditional families' or 'traditional British families', hence the misquote. Look again. What I actually said was that it was traditional in British families (ie: as opposed to overseas ones) for second and third sons to enter the military and clergy respectively. This point was made to illustrate the fact that the sons of politicians and clergymen were often predisposed towards serving in the Forces, counter to your suggestion that they would only ever send other people's sons to war.

Don't forget that politicians are drawn from all walks of life, so the notion that their sons will never reach the frontline needs some kind of corroboration.

If *if* the day came where we were about to be 'invaded', I would sign up to fight, no bother. Which is a lot different to having a sense of duty.

By letting things get to the stage where we were about to be invaded, there'd probably be a far greater chance of loss of life. War is about protecting the nation as a whole, and that is best done before an invasion is imminent; however, I realise this is now getting way off-topic.

Strategically if you agree one life is worth more than another, then you are saying what I'd assumed.

No human life is worth more than any other, strategically speaking or not in my opinion.

Just to clear this one up, I have already said that I do not believe one human life is worth more than another. All human life is sacred.

However, there are strategic situations where there is a greater good to be served. Take, for instance, the 11th September attacks, where USAF pilots were being readied to take down a third plane if there had been a risk that it was also on course to hit a civilian target. On that day someone had to decide that it would have been right for the people on that plane to die, rather than risking the lives of hundreds or thousands of people (plus those on board) if no action were taken.

On other occasions we will act instinctively. You have already asked what father would not wish to protect his own children. If placed in a situation where one's own child's life was in danger, it's likely - perhaps certain - that you would want to save his or her life regardless of the consequences for others. The motivation for doing so may vary, but it would be an understandable reaction.

These are value judgements that none of us would wish to have to make, but nevertheless they sometimes have to be made. It's not about valuing one life more highly than another, but about seeking to do what you believe will produce the best outcome in the situation that presents itself.

I'd like to thank visual artist Gordon Young for coming up with the idea for the phenomenal Comedy Carpet. 160,000 letters individually carved from granite and concrete, in order to capture the witticism of the UK's rich heritage of comic talent.

For the first time, I find myself wanting to visit Blackpool...

5243757430_e2987f078c.jpg

Gordon-Youngs-Comedy-Carp-004.jpg

I'd like to thank visual artist Gordon Young for coming up with the idea for the phenomenal Comedy Carpet. 160,000 letters individually carved from granite and concrete, in order to capture the witticism of the UK's rich heritage of comic talent.

For the first time, I find myself wanting to visit Blackpool...

5243757430_e2987f078c.jpg

Gordon-Youngs-Comedy-Carp-004.jpg

Indeed a person worthy of thanks.:)

The Monty Python team. Nominated for 'The Life of Brian' and that famous song mentioned above.

I want to thank Mike Walker for starting this thread -- I haven't laughed so much for ages!!!!!!

:)Very much appreciated. Now where is that branch of Specsavers.....:rolleyes:

To my beautiful wife. ;)

For putting up with me, all these years, and gifting us with two gorgeous children.

She has made my life complete.:)

So you're thanking the Soviet troops who invaded Poland and Finland?

the ones that fought the nazis you mean.

don't get me wrong, i wouldn't thank stallin, but the man on the front line, definitely. they did more for the world than you or i.

Last edited:
the ones that fought the nazis you mean.

No.

I mean the ones who invaded Poland in 1939 after making an agreement with the Nazis (the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact). And then invaded Finland a few weeks later. Oh yes. And Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania.

And the same Soviets that provided the Germans with a naval base near Murmansk at the start of the war.

Those Soviets helped *start* WW2 by conniving with Hitler.

It kind of went wrong for them after the Nazis consolidated their gains in Europe so quickly.

Had Britain either succumbed or made peace then it would have gone even more wrong for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom