One traffic law for us and a different traffic law for Gordon Brown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't think Mr. Brown was driving...

The Queen doesn't have a driving license - feel free to report her.

I am not aware of that, I believe she does and I have seen her driven a land rover.

She is the only exception and above the law but not Gordon Brown, I heard in the local BBC report on this.

Anyone got a problem with this?:p

Intrestingly, perhaps, Mr "Loophole" speaking on the local news advised that if Mr. Brown had given explicite instruction to the driver to exceed the speed limit he would, along with the driver, be liable to prosecution should action be brought.

Intrestingly, perhaps, Mr "Loophole" speaking on the local news advised that if Mr. Brown had given explicite instruction to the driver to exceed the speed limit he would, along with the driver, be liable to prosecution should action be brought.
Told you so even though he was not driving.:doh:

His driver is MI5/6.

Unless the driver was to rely on S87 of the Road traffic Act 1984 (which we can be pretty sure he would).

Interestingly, the legislation will require that only drivers (recently) trained in high speed driving will be able to use this defence in future.

:thumb:

I do get why the OP is angry, but gordy cloon being driven 10mph above the speed limit, its hardly crime of the century and if I were done for doing 60mph in a 50mph zone I'd feel a bit hard done by/can the police not do something better with their time.

There are many, much more valid, reasons to be angry and resent the cloon than this.

Afterall, if it was one of us here posting I got done for 60mph in a 50 I'd be saying how bad I think this is, etc.

It a total waste of public money, the unnecessary current roadwork at A14 , to boost up the economy with accelerated approved budget because the local MP Chris Mole so happened to be the current junior transport minister.:wallbash:

Unless the driver was to rely on S87 of the Road traffic Act 1984 (which we can be pretty sure he would).

Interestingly, the legislation will require that only drivers (recently) trained in high speed driving will be able to use this defence in future.

:thumb:

You clearly know your traffic law :thumb: I have no idea what S87 is :eek:

Mr. "Loophole" cited a recent case where a driver was convicted (7yrs) of causing death by dangerous driving and his passenger (and vehicle owner) likewise convicted (4yrs) as he had told the driver to drive as he did.

Surely the point is that the 50 limit is there "for the safety of the workforce". It could be argued that no matter what the qualifications of the driver, it jeopardises the safety of the workforce to exceed this limit. After all elf'n'safety rules supreme nowadays (witness the pancake race run at a walk yesterday after a risk "assmessment"!) and even Gordo's driver should take note. Going a bit faster in a contraflow isn't going to get you there more than a few seconds earlier anyway

Going a bit faster in a contraflow isn't going to get you there more than a few seconds earlier anyway

A small 10 mph increase in speed only means he would be travelling 0.16 miles per min quicker. that means that instead of doing 0.83r miles a min he would be doing 0.99r miles a min. Not much on an increase is it?

I believe this just smacks motorists in the face. Not the comment but the situation. We're charged through the nose for ownership and nothing ever changes. We're also pestered everyday with speeding kills. Well no matter how well trained you are or how less likely you are to hit someone, when you hit someone they've still been hit, regardless of skill.

For quite some time now I've been annoyed at speed limits remaining the same as what they were when they were introduced many years ago. Cars are getting safer with driver aids and better protection for drivers, passengers and pedestrians. So, why no increase? It's because unlike our European friends ours roads aren't as safe or as well lit as theirs. Nor are ours as well maintained. Not only that, we also have the easiest driving licence to take among the developed Europe nations. There is a reason for the saying "If you want to win, hire a Fin".

The ONLY exception to speed limits should be the emergency services. If Mr Brown wants to get to his location on time he should allow time for traffic.

However, I'm still a firm believer that 31 mph isn't wrong because it’s not allowed, nor is 29 right because it is.

She does. It's been documented that her favourite car to drive was a Rover P5 that she personally owned.

Last edited:
If he was in a rush to go and get all our gold back shouting 'just a minute I believe I have made a terrible mistake' then it would be quite justified.

She does , however , own the road : 'The Queen's Highway' and , as head of state , is exempt from many requirements incumbent on the rest of us .

She is the only person in the UK who can drive a car without numberplates , for example . I saw her up at Balmoral last year , at which time she was being driven in a very nice RR Phantom with no plates and her own mascot atop the radiator instead of the Spirit of Ecstacy . She is also the only Royal , as far as I am aware , never to have been given a speeding ticket !

The Queen most certainly did drive on the highways in the past , but I'm not sure if there is any legal requirement for her to have a licence .

She does , however , own the road : 'The Queen's Highway' and , as head of state , is exempt from many requirements incumbent on the rest of us .

She is the only person in the UK who can drive a car without numberplates , for example . I saw her up at Balmoral last year , at which time she was being driven in a very nice RR Phantom with no plates and her own mascot atop the radiator instead of the Spirit of Ecstacy . She is also the only Royal , as far as I am aware , never to have been given a speeding ticket !

The Queen most certainly did drive on the highways in the past , but I'm not sure if there is any legal requirement for her to have a licence .

What about insurance? Does she need that?

No one needs insurance if you can provide a letter of "something-or other" (from Loyds?) that shows you can personally cover any claims.

Last edited:

No. In the most basic terms... It's her land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom