Ongoing C Class Suspension Issues ( General )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnorton

Hi

I just wondered if other Merc owners are aware of know issues etc.. with suspension on W203 versions.

I've posted before regarding a knocking on my suspension, of which the local indepandent merc dealer replaced the antiroll bar drop links and link bushes ( I think thats correct ) but now a month or so on another problem has reard it head.

If I'm braking as normal ( And when I say braking ' I don't mean standing on the pedal' just maybe slowing at a junction ) but the surface of the road is quite rough, where the suspension may travel up and down quite quickly, the front suspension sounds like it's about to drop off.

If I were to drive over the same bumps without braking it seems OK and while braking on a smooth surface it's OK BUT under braking on a rough/bumpy road it sounds terrible. It's quite a hard one to explain. I took the car back to the local independant ( who have been very good ) and he had not heard it before, but he sure did when we had a test drive.

Is there any common C-Class problems on the W203 chassis with suspension etc.. I heard the anit-roll bar links were quite common from other forums.

It's such a shame, I drive my mother's P reg 60,000 ish C-Class the other day and it rode better than mine !! ??

Thanks again for any advice.

jnorton said:
It's such a shame, I drive my mother's P reg 60,000 ish C-Class the other day and it rode better than mine !! ??

Thanks again for any advice.

I had an ongoing issue with the noise of my suspension. Then after the fourth attempt I was told that a new grease was invented for the bushes which didnt wash out so easily. He showed me the gloves he used to grase the axles ..... so to speak. Apparently a lot of the noise in the suspension was due to the wrong lubricant being applied.

In my case a bump, cornering , braking would cause a cascade of variable pitch squeeks. And then nothing. On and off like that for a year.

I hear you knocking...

I've also got a knocking sound from the suspension on my W203 C32 AMG estate. :mad:

I've only had it a month so it's booked back with the (non MB) dealer on Saturday to have a look. I'll let you know the results...

rushscored4 said:
I've also got a knocking sound from the suspension on my W203 C32 AMG estate. :mad:

I've only had it a month so it's booked back with the (non MB) dealer on Saturday to have a look. I'll let you know the results...

That knocking sound has been in some cases pipes or air-con related. Let me know what it is .... since they keep denying it here.

Well, so far I have had the anti roll bar drop links replaced, roll bar bushes and now they fitted new thurst arms. Now that has cured a huge problem when I was braking while travelling over bumps etc. The really bad noise has gone but now I feel like theres a slight knock now and again through the steering column ( thre is no play in the wheel ) when I travel over some rough road surfaces and if I brake quite heavy over a rough surface I still think there's a knocking noise, some play somewhere which is causing movement in the suspension.
Looks like I will have to go back for a 3rd time to see what else it could be. The shockers and springs are all checked out OK!.. Should there be this feedback in the steering, for instance is this good feedback.. the movement through the steering wheel does not always occur. I have had friends drive it to see what they think and guess what, they think it drives great !!! they cannot feel anything wrong.. as it is not that easy to keep replicating... although it is different when your driving the same car every day yourself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom