Ongoing Gear Change Woe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
I have been using the SL for a few weeks now and not being particulary gentle with it (as advised I have been opening up the throttle) and I am loving it (yes I should have got the 500 :rolleyes: )

I have it booked in on tuesday for the diagnostic hook up as the gearchange under duress is still not right - I want to be a little for armed though as I am sure its not the box but dont want to pay for hours of diagnostic labour

Pootling around its perfect, no slip, no lurch - smooth as a babys
I would say under 2500 rpm

If I give it half throttle away from the lights the 1/2 lurches, no rev rise / no slippage then 2/3 is much less but still there and 3/4 just noticeable

If I totally boot it then its not happy it doesnt want to change gear and I have to back off to persuade it (it may change but I have mech sympathy)

If I boot it and drop off the throttle its a smooth change

Its had new fluid and is at the right level

There are so many things it could be, so Im hoping by being as detailed as possible one of the more knowledgable members may have an inkling

I`m minded to take it to MBTech in Warrington if Star doesnt suss it as I dont want to pay Inchcape diagnostic rates (MB Frenz never seem to answer the phone)

I should add it idles perfectly - no hunt - and the engine seems fine - quite torquey as I dont want to rev it due to the changes

Last edited:
Have you checked the vac lines to the box?
Is the kick down cable set correctly?

Confirmed as MAF - new one going on thursday with its fixed or its free gtee which I am prepared to pay the extra cost dealer v indie on the basis it will be 100% once done. Also its possible the maf may go again (under gtee) and I wouldnt want to hassle an indie as margins are tight these days.

It took an "old school" mech about 300 yards to diagnose it - there aint no substitute for experience

Once running ok its wheels, lowering springs, paint, audio and trim refix (rattle elimination)

Car is 100% fixed for the first time since I have owned it

:bannana: It was a MAF BUT not a straight failure hence the gearchange issue - new MAF fitted - full reset of all that can be reset and its sweet as a nut.

Thanks to all for input along the way - pics in gallery by the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom