Online Backup Redux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
Right, so my Mozy subscription expired and it turns out they don't do "unlimited" backup plans any more (after I spent years saying how good they were).

So I had a look around, and can't find anyone that still does while maintaining a degree of security.

LiveDrive are interesting, but the data is encrypted once it reaches their servers, which means they have the encrypt/decrypt key and as such can access my data; so they're not suitable.

Mozy(Pro) have the option to encrypt to my personal passphrase which they don't store - but they don't do unlimited space.

Spider Oak look like the best from a security perspective, but again, don't have an unlimited tariff.

Any idea on other providers?

M.

Right, so after some digging (and a very helpful Wiki article) I have a shortlist...

CrashPlan+ Unlimited: 448-bit encryption, 1 machine, $3-$5 per month
CrashPlan+ Family Unlimited: 448-bit encryption, 10 machines, $6-$12 per month
(doesn't say what algorythm they use, but at 448-bit I'm ready to bet it's blowfish)

BackBlaze : $4-$5 per month, encryption is optional but possible uses AES256, 1 machine

I'm sure there are more... but these were the only ones I could "easily" find information about encryption and have unlimited data plans.

M.

If anyone cares... ended up with crashplan after tring the free software for 2 very simple reasons cost and features.

Apart from being a bit cheaper (by doing 3 machines for a total of 6TB or so of data); it also has features that mean I can retire my SCP scripts! Essentially, it allows you to backup your files to another computer running crashplan (even over the 'net - like a friends machine at a remote location) or a remote folder (NAS). All encrypted of course.

Which means I now have a local backup on my NAS, and in 2 months or so, I'll have a "cloud" backup.... just need to make sure I store my private key safe :p

M.

If anyone cares...
M.

I care:D

I need to get into an on line back-up but somehow never seem to find the time to fully research what I need against what is available

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom