Online pc masters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

area51

Car
A160 Avantgarde
Anyone had phone calls from these people? They claim that there are multiple faults on my computer (there aren't), and that they can help to fix them.

I have had no previous dealings with them and this sort of cold calling worries me.

What to do? They have called twice now. Keep telling them to go away?

It is a scam. (well known)

They usually go after silver surfers , proclaim to be able to fix things and then demand money.

Just tell them your uncle William does all the computer stuff for you.

William Gates...

Tell them you haven't got a computer!

THE SCAM WORKS THUS:devil:

They claim your computer is riddled with faults [ how do they know this you may ask ??:doh:] They then get you to go online and connect to their web site this allows them access to your computer with your permission of course. :doh: Having granted them access they then download lots of malware on to your computer which they kindly tell you about.:mad: Then the KILLER for a sum of money paid directly by credit card to them they will remove all the malware they "found" :crazy: If you don't you are left with lots of garbage on your computer you didn't have before. :crazy: NICE PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH.
The best reply is to say you haven't got a computer LIE TO THEM THEY ARE LYING TO YOU.;)

If you fancy a laugh just play along with them. When you get fed up of getting them to explain every step four or five times ask them if a Sinclair Spectrum can get a virus.

I usually say "Can you hang on a moment, I will just go and get my credit card, I may be a moment or two as I will need to find my wallet" and then go off and do something else. The are never still there when I check back (much) later.

Alternatively, you could register to opt-out of the telemarketer's phonebook. I had until recently been receiving regular daily telemarketing calls till I registered with:
TPS

Since registering I've had none.

You can do MPS while your at it if you get enough junk mail to re-pulp and sell to a major newspaper.

Known scam. Google it for more info, or search YouTube for clips of people who took the scammers for a ride keeping them on the phone for a very long time while pretending to try and follow their instruction... the scammer wastes time and money and obviously can't all anyone else while they are on the phone with the 'bait'. Having said that... I would not advice that you play 'bait' yourself, if they have your number they know who you are, and they are not all calling from East Europe or from Africa...

Alternatively, you could register to opt-out of the telemarketer's phonebook. I had until recently been receiving regular daily telemarketing calls till I registered with:
TPS

Since registering I've had none.

I'm registered and still get them - these PC calls come from abroad and can't be regulated.

I'm registered and still get them - these PC calls come from abroad and can't be regulated.
Its time for OFCOM to step in and force the Telecoms companies principally BT to police these calls from call centres abroad. It would only take brief monitoring of these calls to block them until "proved innocent"
Or could it be they make too much money by allowing these criminals access to our phone lines.:wallbash: I bet German phone owners don't have to put up with this sh*t!

How do I get on their list? I would love to get one of their calls... I have a sandbox or two they can try to infect...

Goddam annoying-called to say they were microsoft partners and my CPU had flagged up alerts-told them to go "away".
Just make sure you have decent anti virus software-even the free microsoft security essentials is ok along with free malwarebytes software:thumb:

Or could it be they make too much money by allowing these criminals access to our phone lines.

You have to wonder if this is the reason for a lot of these sort of issues.

TPS cannot block marketing calls so I delight in pointing out to marketing callers that I am part of the TPS, they always retort "TPS does not apply to marketing companies", to which I retort "Yes, but see if you can guess why I signed up to the TPS, which is there to block unsolicited nuisance calls?".

Some just don't get it.

How do I get on their list? I would love to get one of their calls... I have a sandbox or two they can try to infect...

I thought about setting up an image of a very heavily fortified XP install and then allowing them to try and install stuff. Would be very entertaining to watch. Unfortunately, I cannot be bothered to waste my time doing it, more's the pity.

You have to wonder if this is the reason for a lot of these sort of issues.

TPS cannot block marketing calls so I delight in pointing out to marketing callers that I am part of the TPS, they always retort "TPS does not apply to marketing companies", to which I retort "Yes, but see if you can guess why I signed up to the TPS, which is there to block unsolicited nuisance calls?".

Some just don't get it.

I thought about setting up an image of a very heavily fortified XP install and then allowing them to try and install stuff. Would be very entertaining to watch. Unfortunately, I cannot be bothered to waste my time doing it, more's the pity.

Apparently they basically ask you to download and install their program, and also ask you to disable your antivirus if it gets in the way. So you are in fact doing the damage yourself, not them.

(once you have handed them remote-control of your computer, they will say the 'virus' has locked it up - and ask for credit card payment for virus-removal 'software license' - in order to release it back to you)

Last edited:
Is there a way of letting them connect to a sacrificial sandboxed machine, and use the link 'backwards' to their PC and fill it with nasty stuff :devil:

'Format c:' would do.

Apparently they basically ask you to download and install their program, and also ask you to disable your antivirus if it gets in the way. So you are in fact doing the damage yourself, not them.

(once you have handed them remote-control of your computer, they will say the 'virus' has locked it up - and ask for credit card payment for virus-removal 'software license' - in order to release it back to you)

You can use local security policy in XP to prevent installation of anything - after you've put their software on (just turn your router off to stall them).

They will be installing a remote support client which allows them to access your computer through the same port you usually go out to t'Internet on.

So you could disable antivirus and sit back to watch them not being able to do virtually anything - except play minesweeper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom