Only 416 SLKs left in this country!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Derek Smith

Car
CLK
Awaiting sale that is, and that was from this morning.

I went to Gatwick Mercedes-Benz today and test drove a 250CDI (soon to be renamed) to be told that if I want one, I'd have to move quite fast.

There were all sorts of offers on offer, so to speak.

Details on 'next year's', in reality later this year, SLK model changes and name changes here:

2016 SLK range

Not sure what was so sublime about 7-speed on the 250CDI. Unless 9-speed gearbox is slower than 7, which was slow.

No telephone pre-wiring is a shame, it was good free feature. I also like black ash wood trim. So all of them will be silver/aluminium now?

Not sure what was so sublime about 7-speed on the 250CDI. Unless 9-speed gearbox is slower than 7, which was slow.

I didn't mean to be specific as to the model, just the gearbox.

I've got a progressive back problem and needed to opt for an auto. The first car I tried - and I hope this doesn't get me banned from these forums - was a Boxster. I liked it but the auto box was sluggish. The sales bloke said that it 'needed a service' which would be completed if I bought it, but I left the car and went to another dealer where the gearbox in a newer, more powerful Boxster was identical in feel.

I had tried a 5-speed SLK and thought it OK, but then went for a 350 SLK 171 with the 7-speed and thought it incomparable. I've driven a few autos recently so have too much experience.

You can drive the 7sp SLK with spirit, so to speak, and still have seamless changes.

The only negative is that, like so many other autos, it can change up on a slack throttle in the middle of a corner, which I find disconcerting, but the buttons on the steering wheel can be used to stop that. I think the number of gears makes that worse, so presumably the 9-speed will have the same problem but a bit more, but a small price to pay, at least for the 7sp.

I went to Gatwick Mercedes-Benz today and test drove a 250CDI (soon to be renamed) to be told that if I want one, I'd have to move quite fast.

Is that not one of the oldest sales techniques in the book?

I liked my SLK 250CDI very much and judging by the numbers I saw on the road many other owners liked theirs too - I never thought supply was being restricted.

Last edited:
There's another thread somewhere stating that the 250 engine is being discontinued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom