Only getting heat on the windscreen w203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John_Doe

Car
C32
Not sure if this is the right place to post but couldn't find a heating section

I'm only getting heat coming out of the windscreen vents. If I put the heater on the hottest setting and put it to clear just the windscreen it comes out nice and hot from the very top vents and the little side window ones.

But if I switch it to any of the lower vents, like the face / feet ones I only get very slightly warm air. What the hell could this be.

Have you tried a heater flap reset?

W203

To reset heater flaps and actuators

Switch on ignition.

Press recirculated air and defrost buttons on control panel together for longer than 5 seconds.

The LED's in the defrost and recirculated air buttons flash alternately.

Wait until the LED's stop flashing (approx 30 sec) system set to defrost LED on.

Switch off ignition.

After 40 sec re start engine.

Actually, no. I forgot about this. Will try it tonight.

It just seems strange. I could understand if it was only blowing at half speed but it blows on full power, just won't get hot.

I tried the reset but the buttons just continuously flash. They never stop. I left it about five mins.

What does that mean?

Any ideas?

Where abouts are you as someone may have a diagnostic machine nearby.

Possibly the dreaded heater motor flap problem?
Do you hear the clicking noise from behind the dash board ?
A star check is the best way forward & if the clicking problem is there it'll identify the problem flap or flaps.

I'm Tunbridge wells.

No I don't get any clicking behind the dash. I don't really know how the stepper motors work but I would have thought they just move the flaps to redirect the air flow, I wouldn't have thought they had one to then control the heat separately to the flow. If that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom