Ooops I've sprung a leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tlzeebub

Car
2003 S320CDi, Ducati916
I noticed a damp patch on the road outside my house the other day which would appear to be diesel so had a look under the car and sure enough it is, there would appear to be 2 rubber fuel hoses that go to the front of the cylinder head presumably onto some kind of pump and it would seem that that is where the leak is, I rang my local stealers to ask if apart from the hoses is there any other seals/gaskets/o'rings there that can be replaced and the guy didnt really know so he said he would fax me a diagram but surprise surprise it didnt appear, I dont really want to start the job and not have all the parts to remedy it as it looks like a bit of a mission to get to, so I thought I'd seek some help from the pro's any help or info would be much appreciated, tia Chris.

It depends which of the fuel lines is giving you trouble. I recently replaced my fuel line but as it was on a sunday, so getting the parts proved impossible. Went to local motorshop, got some bloody good fuel line, and re-ran it in a slightly different direction to make it easier to fit and also to avoid running it anywhere near the fan, in case i couldn't guarantee clearance from fan belt.

Hopefully the pictures show where the new line goes, it saves having to mess about detangling everything too.

Here's the link to my post describing the issue I had. At first I described it as as the line going from the bottom left fuel pump to the top fuel pump, until realising it was from the bottom left, nearest the fan belt to the top of the engine at the rear of the engine bay.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/114381-w210-e320-cdi-fuel-system-questions.html

I also had another fuel line to replace over the christmas period, and I've attached the link to that post/thread too, but I used a merc part, which sorta looks like a stethoscopy-twisty thing, with one end having a 'plunger-type' end, meeting a 't-junction' and splitting off to the top fuel pump and the other end running under the fuel pumps to the back of the lower pump. I would recommend getting the part from merc for this, it comes with all the seals etc, and plastic nodes, which are liable to break if old as they get brittle as hell. Here's the threads to the replacement of the 'stethoscopy-thing' which is a Low Fuel Pressure sensor.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/101418-name-part-important.html

and

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/101575-e320-turbo-diesel-fuel-supply-problems-2.html

Last of all, Good Luck getting it sorted, If I can fix it, anybody can. Also, expect to still see diesel for a few days after, Mine cleared up after 3 or 4 days after the job, I took it into my local dude who put it on the ramps and it was all ok, but diesel had been going everywhere for a while so it takes ages for it to dissipate, including the smell. All the best.

Attachments

• full view.jpg
    full view.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 47
  • fuel line top.jpg
    fuel line top.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 46
  • fuel line- pump end.jpg
    fuel line- pump end.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply englishdas your layout looks totally different to mine, I've bought all the fuel lines I think I will need so I'm going to attempt it after work tomorrow, I'll post some pics of my layout after I've broken sorry I mean fixed it, thanks for your help regards Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom