Opaque windows.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

saff

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Audi A8 D4 4.2 TDI W246 B180 CDI Sport
Now that the cold weather is once again with us we see the usual group of numptys who come out of the house to shock, horror, a frosted-up car! Having paid little or no attention to the previous evening's weather forecast and not bothered to open a blind to check they find themselves with little or no time to spend defrosting the car and drive away partially blind.
Walking the dog around our residential neighbourhood this morning I saw quite a number of folk driving erratically and then stopping completely as the sunlight hit their screen. One or two had the 'letterbox' approach which must be akin to driving a tank but must hinder peripheral awareness. One guy in his new ML, a neighbour of mine and a really nice bloke drove past me half-blind and one handed as his other hand was holding a steaming mug of whatever.
All a bit tongue in cheek on my part but the consequences could be severe.

I remember my first car, Mk1 Fiesta, screen used to ice up inside as well as outside. Then again, it could be covered in a foot of snow and still start first turn of the key.

Or use an anti-ice spray the night before .... it works.

Or a cover full or top half. :)

I remember... Back in the days of toughened glass windscreens, my next door neighbour used to just sling a bucketful of hot water at his screen. I suggested to him that that wasn't a good idea because of the thermal stress, but no, he'd never had any problem so it was fine.

One very cold morning, he defrosted as usual - and the water, and the screen. mostly ended up inside the car...

Reactions: 219
Kettle of only just warm water does nicely, done it for over 40 years never had a problem, wouldn't go near my window's with a scraper or de-icer for that matter. :)

i just start the car , set it to demist , lock it with the spare key and come back in to have a coffee whilst it clears ; usually her ladyship's is in front of it and blocking it in as I'm usually first away and first back ; I can see enough out of hers by opening the door to move hers out of the way when I'm ready to go .

i just start the car , set it to demist , lock it with the spare key and come back in to have a coffee whilst it clears ; usually her ladyship's is in front of it and blocking it in as I'm usually first away and first back ; I can see enough out of hers by opening the door to move hers out of the way when I'm ready to go .
Illegal practice i'm afraid.

If the land you're parking on can't be accessed by the public, then traffic laws do not apply. So as long as your drive or land are gated or accessed via a barrier, you can do what you like....

If the land you're parking on can't be accessed by the public, then traffic laws do not apply. So as long as your drive or land are gated or accessed via a barrier, you can do what you like....
So if the public can walk onto your drive coz it's not got a gate or barrier, then it's illegal to have your car running on your own drive, even if in theory they are trespassing.
Seems a bit odd.

So if the public can walk onto your drive coz it's not got a gate or barrier, then it's illegal to have your car running on your own drive, even if in theory they are trespassing.
Seems a bit odd.
That's the reason why traffic laws apply in the Tesco car park.

The car park itself is private land, but because it's not closed to the public, drivers still have to abide by traffic laws.

Put a barrier to prevent the public from accessing your private land, and you can do whatever you want (or rather, the term public road does not apply).

Seems a bit odd.
My drive has gates , but they are almost never shut .

That's the reason why traffic laws apply in the Tesco car park.

The car park itself is private land, but because it's not closed to the public, drivers still have to abide by traffic laws.

Put a barrier to prevent the public from accessing your private land, and you can do whatever you want (or rather, the term public road does not apply).
The public road that runs past my house ( and now being bypassed is closed to through traffic ) has white lines which mark the edge of the carriageway , and the paved area in front of the house is shown on the title deeds as mine out to the line of the water main ( easily identified by the position of the water valves and the fire hydrant ) .

Since there is a clearly marked boundary to the edge of the public road , by definition anything beyond that is not 'public' ; the driveway to a private house for use only by the householder and invitees , is quite different to a supermarket car park , where the public are given unfettered access .

In any case , I simply don't care - in the unlikely event of anyone presuming to come onto my property and trying to tell me what they think I can and cannot do , they will be shown the exit and told to use it forthwith .

Oh , and while using my car for emergency services purposes , I CAN lawfully leave the engine running with blue lights operating on a public road , if I feel it necessary .

Without adding to the "Legality Argument" I think it depends on where you live! If I lived next door to someone that did this in the early morning and I didn't need to getting up, I wouldn't be too pleased at having a car start up and sit idling while the owner had his breakfast!:rolleyes:

And Greta wouldnt be too pleased either! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom