Opaque windows.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Plus, if some scrote comes along, smashes the window & drives off; your insurer won’t pay out

As said it's illegal, even on your drive, though in practical terms it is very unlikely that plod will take an interest:

494 drivers fined in 4 years for de-icing windows with idling engines

It is NOT illegal on your own private property - only on the public highway .

From the article " Those clearing their windscreens by leaving their engines running, if they are parked on a public road, could technically be breaking the law."

"Under Section 42 of the RTA, you can be fined an initial £20 if your vehicle is stationary on a public road with the engine running."

"Devon and Cornwall Police's response showed they had prosecuted three men between May 2015 and January 2018, all for leaving their vehicles on a public road unattended with the engine running"

It is also NOT an offence if you remain with the vehicle whilst the engine is running - * exemptions apply for emergency services .

Self appointed do-gooder statement " My commute involves a ten minute walk to the train station through a residential street, and at least half-a-dozen motors a morning are running, idly, on driveways. " This is NOT illegal .

Nowhere in the article , nor anywhere else , does it say that it is unlawful to leave an engine idling on a private driveway , or other private property - this is because IT IS NOT UNLAWFUL .

Last edited:
Plus, if some scrote comes along, smashes the window & drives off; your insurer won’t pay out
Difficult when there is another locked car parked in front of it .

Without adding to the "Legality Argument" I think it depends on where you live! If I lived next door to someone that did this in the early morning and I didn't need to getting up, I wouldn't be too pleased at having a car start up and sit idling while the owner had his breakfast!:rolleyes:

And Greta wouldnt be too pleased either! :eek:
I live in the country , with the public road past my house now closed to through traffic ( therefore only neighbours and callers passing ) , and me nearest neighbour is approx 100 YDS away , so not bothering anyone .

I do occasionally hear Bernard across the road revving up his TVR , but it's a nice noise .

I don't care what Greta thinks or says .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom