Opel Monza Anyone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice car, and looks in good nick! Never been a great fan of the hatchbacks personally (Monza or Manta) ... the saloon/coupe versions look much nicer to me :)

I had a Cavalier Coupe (pretty rare):

View attachment 89698
My Dad had one of those, same colour too!

I had a 1974 Fiat 126 (600cc :)) and that had something similar except it didn't twist. You pulled it out to a certain position and it just stayed there till you pushed it back in ... very odd device!

These devices were common on Italian cars in the 1960s and 70s. It's a hand throttle for warming the engine up on a fast idle. It's definitely not intended for cruise control! (Although can be entertaining/frightening when used as such). :D

Thats a nice example may well have been garaged for many years,somebody will buy it.

I had a 1974 Fiat 126 (600cc :)) and that had something similar except it didn't twist. You pulled it out to a certain position and it just stayed there till you pushed it back in ... very odd device!

I drove that back down the A3 on one cylinder after the top of a plug broke off. Also drove it a short way home with one exhaust manifold hanging loose (the bolts had stripped), with flames licking around the flexible fuel hose :D

Happy days.
My friend had a Mirafiori sport in orange.

It had an interesting feature that allowed the passenger to press the carpet firmly with their foot which would wedge the throttle wide open.

My friend didn't drink so was frequently driving me home from nightclubs in the 80s, most often at full pelt.

These devices were common on Italian cars in the 1960s and 70s. It's a hand throttle for warming the engine up on a fast idle. It's definitely not intended for cruise control! (Although can be entertaining/frightening when used as such). :D
I did try and use it as cruise control on my 1979 Alfetta, and it worked. Well not exactly as cruise control, more as a hand accelerator instead of foot accelerator when driving on Motorways. The only issue was that the travel was very short (about one inch from memory) so using and varying the right amount of throttle was fun and games. In my defence, I was young and foolish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom