Open doors again 25.000 - come on on ..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.

optimusprime

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mercedes W124 260E M103
First ting on the news .Our government are to take in another 25.000 refuges .. Any one need a lodger ?

I'm surprised we haven't seen discussion regarding the Afghan situation.
But it will be emotive and looking largely at who should be to blame.

Regarding the refugee situation that will be a crisis soon enough imo.
All the usual pro / con arguments apply. It is emotive now as we are seeing much on the media and reading reports of excesses.
In the short term I feel helping those that supported the anti Taliban strategies is right.
For the long term, if we are actually able to intervene, then a more considered approach is applicable.

It just maybe that Taliban rule will offer stability to the population, but somehow I doubt it.

As mentioned already int press there are possibly great issues ahead for the West. Increased confidence by other extremist groups, the US withdrawal being a great recruitment campaign for such, revenge attacks (although promised not to happen).
Too early to know the answers,
or too late if you look at the previous 20 years of us lot, 14 years of Russian attempts, and well keep going back in time.

I'm surprised we haven't seen discussion regarding the Afghan situation.
But it will be emotive and looking largely at who should be to blame.

Regarding the refugee situation that will be a crisis soon enough imo.
All the usual pro / con arguments apply. It is emotive now as we are seeing much on the media and reading reports of excesses.
In the short term I feel helping those that supported the anti Taliban strategies is right.
For the long term, if we are actually able to intervene, then a more considered approach is applicable.

It just maybe that Taliban rule will offer stability to the population, but somehow I doubt it.

As mentioned already int press there are possibly great issues ahead for the West. Increased confidence by other extremist groups, the US withdrawal being a great recruitment campaign for such, revenge attacks (although promised not to happen).
Too early to know the answers,
or too late if you look at the previous 20 years of us lot, 14 years of Russian attempts, and well keep going back in time.

As the Song goes "When will we Ever Learn"

Occupation and rising of the Afghans — The British then sent an Army of Retribution to Kabul to avenge the destruction of their previous ...

Result: Afghan victory: British withdrawal; Dost Mohammad KhanDate: July 1839 – October 1842

1842 retreat from Kabul · ‎Battle of Ghazni

As the Song goes "When will we Ever Learn"

Occupation and rising of the Afghans — The British then sent an Army of Retribution to Kabul to avenge the destruction of their previous ...

Result: Afghan victory: British withdrawal; Dost Mohammad KhanDate: July 1839 – October 1842

1842 retreat from Kabul · ‎Battle of Ghazni

I see your point but admit to being mystified by the random bold highlighting.

Well for sure Biden and or one of his top advisors has not taken the Armies advise on how to withdraw,and are now back peddling like crazy.

I think I’ll be in the minority on this one but it’s a big yes from me. Get them out. Get them safe. It’s the right thing to do. Imagine the terror they are experiencing right now. 😑

I think it’s wrong to say ‘we’re alright Jack, let someone else help them’.

Makes me realise how lucky we are to live in the UK. We’ve F all to moan about really have we???

We can announce that we'll take in 1m refugees, it won't make a difference - sadly they can no longer get out of Afghanistan anyway.

As for why it hasn't been debated... the topic can't really be discussed without involving politics, and so the right place for (if st all) is the UK Politics thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom