Opening the door with the wrong hand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So he "smashed the door in" then "Rode off as quickly as possible" Something doesn't tally there; when you say "smashed in" do you mean slightly dented. Speaking as someone who has "smashed in" a car door that was opened on me there is A) a damaged bike that is not rideable and B) a damaged human who is only leaving at the speed of the nearest ambulance.
I am not defending anyone riding the wrong way down a one way street, it's indefensible, but this narrative that you can have a significant accident with a car vs. cyclist and the chances are they will shrug it off and do a runner is not one that promotes careful driving.

I should imagine if the cyclist was going the wrong way down a one way street he hit the exterior of the car door which has more movement less likely to cause serious damage to the cyclist than hitting the inner side of the door ?

So he "smashed the door in" then "Rode off as quickly as possible" Something doesn't tally there; when you say "smashed in" do you mean slightly dented. Speaking as someone who has "smashed in" a car door that was opened on me there is A) a damaged bike that is not rideable and B) a damaged human who is only leaving at the speed of the nearest ambulance.
I am not defending anyone riding the wrong way down a one way street, it's indefensible, but this narrative that you can have a significant accident with a car vs. cyclist and the chances are they will shrug it off and do a runner is not one that promotes careful driving.
I’m not getting into the semantics of what happened. Bottom line, he damaged the car enough for it to have to go to a bodyshop for repairs and then ran/rode/limped away before she could get his details.

For example, while I always give priority to pedestrians who are actually crossing a road I'm turning into, if I'm riding my motorcycle I will absolutely not stop while turning into a road just on the off chance that a pedestrian standing on the pavement might be intending to cross when to do so would put me at risk of being rammed by a vehicle behind me.
Obviously.

How is that not a “duty of care” to yourself and the bloke in the car behind you?

How is that not a “duty of care” to yourself and the bloke in the car behind you?
It's exactly that. But the Highway code revisions establish a priority in which I'm beneath the pedestrian in the pecking order but above the car driver.

It's exactly that. But the Highway code revisions establish a priority in which I'm beneath the pedestrian in the pecking order but above the car driver.
Where’s that?

Where’s that?

"Hierarchy of Road Users

The ‘Hierarchy of Road Users’ is a concept that places those road users most at risk in the event of a collision at the top of the hierarchy. The hierarchy does not remove the need for everyone to behave responsibly. The road users most likely to be injured in the event of a collision are pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders and motorcyclists, with children, older adults and disabled people being more at risk. The following H rules clarify this concept.

Rule H1

It is important that ALL road users are aware of The Highway Code, are considerate to other road users and understand their responsibility for the safety of others.

Everyone suffers when road collisions occur, whether they are physically injured or not. But those in charge of vehicles that can cause the greatest harm in the event of a collision bear the greatest responsibility to take care and reduce the danger they pose to others. This principle applies most strongly to drivers of large goods and passenger vehicles, vans/minibuses, cars/taxis and motorcycles.

Cyclists, horse riders and drivers of horse drawn vehicles likewise have a responsibility to reduce danger to pedestrians.

None of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety.

Always remember that the people you encounter may have impaired sight, hearing or mobility and that this may not be obvious."

Here's some thoughts for you. If you take a boat out to sea around mainland Europe you have to have a test and get a license, not applicable for the UK, but if you do hold a license and collide with another vessel, through no fault of your own, you are to blame as you should have known better.
Crazy.
About time cyclists were held to account and took a test so they can display a registration number, that way they might think twice about jumping light and the such. As for accidents with doors, both parties should look.

What peeves me is the current penchant for youths to ride along, often in groups, on their back wheel. (Wheelie) reduced steering/control/braking, often down the middle of the road 🤬🤬🤬

What peeves me is the current penchant for youths to ride along, often in groups, on their back wheel. (Wheelie) reduced steering/control/braking, often down the middle of the road 🤬🤬🤬
Same here - it took me into my 40's to be able to do that! And im still rubbish.

"Hierarchy of Road Users

The ‘Hierarchy of Road Users’ is a concept that places those road users most at risk in the event of a collision at the top of the hierarchy. The hierarchy does not remove the need for everyone to behave responsibly. The road users most likely to be injured in the event of a collision are pedestrians, cyclists, horse riders and motorcyclists, with children, older adults and disabled people being more at risk. The following H rules clarify this concept.

Rule H1

It is important that ALL road users are aware of The Highway Code, are considerate to other road users and understand their responsibility for the safety of others.

Everyone suffers when road collisions occur, whether they are physically injured or not. But those in charge of vehicles that can cause the greatest harm in the event of a collision bear the greatest responsibility to take care and reduce the danger they pose to others. This principle applies most strongly to drivers of large goods and passenger vehicles, vans/minibuses, cars/taxis and motorcycles.

Cyclists, horse riders and drivers of horse drawn vehicles likewise have a responsibility to reduce danger to pedestrians.

None of this detracts from the responsibility of ALL road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders, to have regard for their own and other road users’ safety.

Always remember that the people you encounter may have impaired sight, hearing or mobility and that this may not be obvious."
Precisely. No requirement in there to
“ stop while turning into a road just on the off chance that a pedestrian standing on the pavement might be intending to cross when to do so would put me at risk of being rammed by a vehicle behind me.”

“ stop while turning into a road just on the off chance that a pedestrian standing on the pavement might be intending to cross when to do so would put me at risk of being rammed by a vehicle behind me.”
Read rule H2.

Hi , understand the reasoning for this rule but I have been opening the drivers door the British way for over 50 years.

I use my mirrors and turn my head to see if cyclist or any other road users are in the vicinity.

Read rule H2.
"Should" not "must"

You're imagining a legal requirement that isn't there.

Junctions haven't been turned into pedestrian Zebra crossings.

Yep, that’s a great idea when turning in to a side street from a major road 🤦

The other change that I think will be abused (because some already do it) is the requirement for cyclist to stick to the middle of the road and ride two abreast 😤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom