Opera Browser

Discussion in 'PC and I.T support/Advice posts' started by MikeL, Apr 26, 2007.

1. MikeL

MikeL Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 3.0 TDI
    A quick question regarding Opera.

When I start a video link from BBC news site, the "BBC News Player" window opens but nothing plays, loads, etc.

If I click on the "Launch in stand alone player" link, a new window pops up and plays fine - the new window is standard WMP 11.

Not critical but annoying.

Have the latest versions of all software and am running Vista Premium. Have tried a few Opera settings to no avail.

Ta

Mike

2. BonzoDog

BonzoDog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    280 cdi Break S211 Avantgarde, B200 CDI, W245, Autotronic
    No technicalities but continually irrittaed by the Beeb's lofty approach to video clips. Originally many people criticised them for their adherence to RealPlayer. Real Player offered a free viewer but you had to be mighty determined to work your way through the download and set up process and dodge Real Player's tricks to get you to pay. On every subsequent use Real Player would send a messgae telling you that your player needed to be upgraded (and you pay). Now they offer you alternatives but I've given up. Twice I've written to them suggetsing they adopt a commercial approach a la Youtube and implement a system that people can use.

3. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    Must confess though that the radio player works well in either it's own window or as a standalone MediaPlayer window.

However, gotta love the way that the RealPlayer option comes up first and there is a delay before the MediaPlayer option appears - wonder how much the Beeb pay RealPlayer for that little trick? :D

Speaking of RealPlayer, I reckon it could make a good PS2 game - how to install without all the nasty's, reminders, intrusions etc. :devil:

4. BonzoDog

BonzoDog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    280 cdi Break S211 Avantgarde, B200 CDI, W245, Autotronic
    Just to go OT, yes I agree the radio player is great and often have Radio Five or Four going when I am at home. Thankfully I can receive the incredibly boring World Service on the car radio but it does have occaisonal gems.

5. OP
    OP
    MikeL

MikeL Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 3.0 TDI
    Just don't start me on Real Player - it is even on my damn mobile now!

Mike:mad:

Tags: