Opera Fans....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never quite got the hang of opera. The first one I went to was at the Royal Opera House in London, from where I was ejected for joining in. :mad:

Never quite got the hang of opera. The first one I went to was at the Royal Opera House in London, from where I was ejected for joining in. :mad:

Yes, but they like to keep the sword swinging on the stage :D:D

Puccini touches me...

Don't drag it down guys - what Puccini writes really is beautiful.

Always happy to see Opera being made widely available. Live it is absolutely unsurpassable.

John - Puccini was an extraordinary composer. I tend to think of Tosca as pared down (and obviously more Italian!) Wagner, immense emotion conveyed in a few notes.

Always happy to see Opera being made widely available. Live it is absolutely unsurpassable.

I'm betting being on stage during the performance would be fun. I'm sure they could sell non singing extra parts.

Not quite the same, but I was once in the middle of the Treharris Male Voice as it let rip....fun evening.

Performing makes me feel the most alive I have felt. Singing is exhilarating. It is though a very different sensation from listening in the audience, you rarely hear the whole, but the sense of total engagement and common purpose is extraordinary.

I've sung alongside a Welsh male voice choir, the sound is unique.

I actually like opera believe it or not, but only when watching it on DVD with subtitles.

I utterly fail to see the point of watching it live when you haven't got a clue what's going on. However, having said that, I'd go see Pavarotti or a Bocelli concert.

I actually like opera believe it or not, but only when watching it on DVD with subtitles.

I utterly fail to see the point of watching it live when you haven't got a clue what's going on. However, having said that, I'd go see Pavarotti or a Bocelli concert.

Good luck with Pavarotti, he died in 2007!

You don't say :rolleyes:

Charles Morgan said:
Performing makes me feel the most alive I have felt. Singing is exhilarating. It is though a very different sensation from listening in the audience, you rarely hear the whole, but the sense of total engagement and common purpose is extraordinary. I've sung alongside a Welsh male voice choir, the sound is unique.

Quite agree Charles, one of my regrets is training to sing and then just joining the commercial world

I really really ......really despise Opera ...and yet i like when ELO fused it in their music.
BBC programme on Castrati was fascinating.Ouch!
Wonder if there is a Director's cut?

tali said:
I really really ......really despise Opera ...and yet i like when ELO fused it in their music. BBC programme on Castrati was fascinating.Ouch! Wonder if there is a Director's cut?

"Despise"? Can't you save such an emotion for the properly bad things of this world?

Quite agree Charles, one of my regrets is training to sing and then just joining the commercial world

I have numerous friends, one sadly now dead, all of whom are opera singers who have had to make ends meet doing other things, the money in singing universally being poor, the only exception being for the stars of that world. Oddly most are serious wine lovers, so you're not alone!

Not really about opera, but all here who enjoy music, try some singing. It is extremely relaxing, great fun to do and gives the most tremendous buzz. If you are in the Thames Valley please come along to Slough Philharmonic Chorus we could seriously do with some more basses and tenors! We'll even teach you how to read music and all the technical skills. (selfish plug)

Never mind Hollywood blockbusters - Opera is all about sex, violence, disease, murder, love, passion, humour, spectacle......

e.g. Film which includes a plot about a lord who would dearly like to boff his employees intended, so plans to get shot of him....

Now THAT is the way to get youths interested initially and the love of the music and drama must surely follow in the majority of cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom