Operation Stack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martyn_n

Car
W124 E320, W163 ML270 & W166 ML350
As operation stack is now in place until at least 7 tomorrow evening and we are due to take our caravan to France at 10 tomorrow night has anyone got any advice as to the best way of getting to the tunnel terminal from the M25?

The official advice seems to tell you to take the M2 from the M25 and then the A2 to Dover, but it seems to me that this overshoots the tunnel entrance and getting back up the M20 to 11a is a non starter.

I'm thinking of braving the M20 and then dropping off onto the A20 and following that until I can get back on (or reach the tunnel) but have no idea if this is feasible.

If anyone had experience of this and will share their valuable advice it will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Martyn

Take the official advice and give yourself plenty of time.

M20 at J8 is where they've been bringing all traffic off the motorway, LGV then being allowed to go over the island and rejoin, but parked up. the ensuing traffic caused by this filtering etc, is to be avoided at all costs....I use the M2 / M20 most days, and tbh there isn't a good route to take atm. mt 35- minute journey home has been 1hour plus every night since this rubbish began! I would possibly suggest M20 to Maidstone J5, then pick up A20 from there.........good luck!

I had the pain of using the M25 anti-clockwise yesterday on the way to the A3 and from M25 J14 onwards the M20 stacking was causing very slow traffic. There were gantry signs advising drivers to seek alternative routes due to the stacking. Not fun at all!

Just to compound our misery yesterday, having eventually got to Portsmouth, the evening return journey was the trip from hell. Both A3 and M3 were closed after 10pm!!! Eventually found the A31 and made our way up to Guildford and across to the M25. There were no warnings and no diversion routes set up!! Unbelievable!!

Are you a CC member? We used the tunnel last year and stayed overnight at Black Horse site at Densole on the Canterbury road A260. 10mins from the tunnel although using the M20 for one junction.

If you're a member why not phone the site and ask their advice. It's a common overnight for the tunnel and they will know the best plan of approach.

Thanks everyone, both for the advice and the sympathy!!
I've already decided to take my daughter out of school early to give us loads of extra time (Hopefully 7 hours for Leicester to Tunnel will be adequate!).
We stayed at Black Horse last year and the wardens were really helpful then so may give them a call for some local knowledge of the alternatives, thanks for the suggestion Druk.

I've had to tackle this everyday and it's driving me mad.

Probably best route is as stated but an alternative is doing down the A2/M2 and joining the A251 and cutting across. It brings you out at junct 9 (which is still no good) but you can snake thru Ashford town to junct 10 and join there if possible or if not, carry on down the a20 to 11.

Either way, it's a slog so leave plenty of time

We are currently in the south of France and had to deal with this last Friday.
We left at 4 am. Got on the M20 at the junction with M25.
Then diverted off at junc 8 and followed the A20 until we could get back on at junc 11a.
Because of the time we travelled we were fine, but the A20 stretch is pretty much all single lane so I would advise to just leave plenty of time.
Travelling back on Sunday so hoping it won't be so bad

Then diverted off at junc 8 and followed the A20 until we could get back on at junc 11a.
Because of the time we travelled we were fine, but the A20 stretch is pretty much all single lane so I would advise to just leave plenty of time.
Thanks Wayne, the first hand advice is much appreciated. Hope you have had a fantastic break and good luck with your return jouney. They haven't implemented phase 4 of stack to my knowledge so hopefully London bound should not be as big a problem for you.
Martyn

This is very good advice.

I live just off the A249 which is the link road between the M20 and M2. It is hellish during Stack. Last week I couldn't get to Canterbury for a vital PET Scan so was not impressed with the French at all.

Warning: The Police will allow you to drive onto the Motorway (M2 or M20) even if it is shut. They will happily wave on to the slip road then watch you hit the traffic 200 yards down the slip road. They will then tell you you have to queue. Lat week I had to queue for two hour when I was 100 yards down the M20 Slip at Junction 7.

Standard practice during Operation Stack is for drivers to be diverted onto the A249 at Jct 7 for the M2. The M2 then gets blocked with the inevitable crash. All roads off the A249 become single track. These are usually blocked with HGV's that are wedged between hedges, walls, people's houses etc.

Thanks Bruce. You have not given me much of a warm cosy feeling about my impending journey but you have helped me put my relatively minor inconvenience into perspective. I cannot image having to live with this disruption impacting your day to day life and will think of you and your neighbours when I'm in the queue instead of feeling sorry for myself!!

Martyn

Looking just now the M20 is closed again between Jct 8 and Jct 11 so traffic is being advised to come off at Jct 7 and cross the A249 to the M2. You may find it better to leave the M25 and go straight onto the M2 (Southbound). The issue you will have with dragging a shed behind you is if you try and get off the M20. It is all really rural lanes and villages once you pass Maidstone (Jct 7) That is one of the reasons why they like to keep everybody on the motorway ;^(

Just give a huge amounts of time and you should be fine. Have a great break.

There is finally some good news for drivers on the M20, as Operation Stack is scaled back.
The coast bound carriageway remains closed between junctions 8 and 9 but junctions 9, 10 and 11 are now open.
Last night police warned Operation Stack could last into the weekend as cross Channel services struggle to clear the freight traffic.

Freight traffic is being held in a stack on the M20. Picture: Paul Amos

It is still not clear when the M20 will return to normal.
Almost two weeks of disruption has led to an unprecedented backlog of lorries waiting to leave for France.
The loss of MyFerryLink has reduced capacity, exacerbating the problems which have gridlocked parts of Kent over the last few days.
Kent police say Eurotunnel and the ferry services are working to clear the backlog, but the delays may last until the weekend.
Operation Stack remains in place between junctions 8 and 11 coast bound on the M20.
There is also no access to the coastbound M20 at junction 13, in order to prevent freight from jumping the Op Stack queue.
A Kent Police spokesman said: "The Port of Dover and Eurotunnel are working hard to transport freight vehicles still in Kent but due to the impact of disruption in Calais last week, its effect on freight movements and the loss of a ferry operator, Operation Stack and the diversions for non-freight traffic remain in place."
Operation Stack was introduced yesterday after migrants got onto a Eurotunnel shuttle in the early hours of the morning.

Eurotunnel services are delayed

Operation Stack was introduced yesterday after migrants got onto a Eurotunnel shuttle in the early hours of the morning.
A statement released by police yesterday said: "Due to this morning’s disruption at the Channel Tunnel, all motorists are warned of significant disruption to their journeys.
"Anyone intending to travel across the Channel is advised to check with the operator before starting their journey.

"Operation Stack is beingput in place on the M20 coastbound carriageway.

"Non-freight coast-bound traffic will be diverted onto the A20 from Junction 8 (Hollingbourne) and will rejoin the motorway at Junction 9 (Ashford West).
"This allows freight traffic to park on the coast-bound carriageway of the M20."
Police are advising traffic coming off at J8 coast-bound to stick to the A20 if possible.

Lorries stacked up on the M20 between junctions 8 and 9 Picture courtesy: Simon Burchett

A group of seven Kent MPs met with the transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin yesterday to urge the government to find an alternative to Operation Stack.
Meanwhile, services are still suspended on DFDS Seaways ferries between Dover and Calais due to limited berths at the port.
The service is likely to be suspended until at least the end of today.

Thanks Bruce. Hopefully the "immigrants" ( I hate that term) won't kick off again and by the time I get there tomorrow the backlog will be gone. Fingers crossed.

They are attempting to stop HGV's queue jumping on the M20. They come off at Jct 7 then hop down and re-join at 13. Sp I believe that they are stopping trucks at 13.

Good luck.

Oh. The Kent County Show starts tomorrow at Detling (Jct 7 A249 - M20). I get a free view of the Red Arrows.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

We made it. M2 A2, had our fair share of queues but did it in five and half hours. Thanks for the advice guys, bring on the holiday!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 46
Well Operation Stack is still ongoing. 35 mile HGV queues now on the M20 with the M2 and all A/B road becoming gridlocked.

I left home on Thursday morning to take a 1.5 hour commute to work. 3.5 hours later I was still less than 5 miles from my front door and had to return home. Local business are being wiped out with some towns and villages gridlocked with traffic attempting to avoid the M20 & M2.

My neighbour took 5 hours to get from Maidstone to Dover for a Medical appointment. My own Scans in Canterbury are now being moved.

I see no end to this as Migrants are now camped out in Calais throwing themselves onto the roofs of trains and falling off the underside of HGV's on the M20.

We are under siege.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom