Opinion from a builder please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
We've been given a double glazed UPVA porch measuring 3m x 1m

Our house was built in the fifties and is BCS (British Consolidated Steel) construction. Two years ago we had it surveyed by a structural engineer and "cladded" (very well researched!) and it has been given a new lease of life as well as being MUCH warmer! Further research tells me that a very solid concrete raft was laid and the house framework bolted together on top. There is absolutely no sign of subsidence at all and particular attention was made to that aspect by the engineer. We will be using breezeblock not brick as it will be rendered anyway to match in with the house

My question is footings or not? A few of the same houses round here have porches and as far as I can establish, footings were not used. Our intention is to have it put up with a single skin, so I don't think footings are needed. Looking for opinions please. Also, if I changed my mind and went for a double skin? Pics are of the house it came from and our actual house (walls not dirty - just had a downpour! If you look to the left you can just see what the original façade looked like)

Opinions most welcome.

Porch 3.jpg! House 2.jpg

Attachments

• House.jpg
    House.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 9
I'm not a builder but I'm assuming that the house footings don't extend out to where you're putting the porch. You definitely require footings and the brickwork plinth and porch need to be tied in to the house , otherwise you'll have the "leaning porch of Preston". You'll also need to make sure you have a good joint between the porch roof and the house.

I'm not a builder but I'm assuming that the house footings don't extend out to where you're putting the porch. You definitely require footings and the walls need to be tied in to the house , otherwise you'll have the "leaning porch of Preston".

Cheers. It's just that I understand with this type of house construction there are no footings as such. It is basically steel bolted together on a concrete raft that is some 10% larger that the house footprint. The raft acts as the footings. Hence the question

The original raft will not extend as far as where the porch will sit, if you have a concrete drive you could put the porch up on that but I would advise a footing. Nothing massive, 400 deep by 200 wider than the block work providing you hit something reasonably solid.
In my opinion it is not worth not digging as the dig and pour would take about half a day.
Just a word of caution I would not employ a builder who suggested putting any structure up without a foundation.

We've been given a double glazed UPVA porch measuring 3m x 1m

Our house was built in the fifties and is BCS (British Consolidated Steel) construction. Two years ago we had it surveyed by a structural engineer and "cladded" (very well researched!) and it has been given a new lease of life as well as being MUCH warmer! Further research tells me that a very solid concrete raft was laid and the house framework bolted together on top. There is absolutely no sign of subsidence at all and particular attention was made to that aspect by the engineer. We will be using breezeblock not brick as it will be rendered anyway to match in with the house

My question is footings or not? A few of the same houses round here have porches and as far as I can establish, footings were not used. Our intention is to have it put up with a single skin, so I don't think footings are needed. Looking for opinions please. Also, if I changed my mind and went for a double skin? Pics are of the house it came from and our actual house (walls not dirty - just had a downpour! If you look to the left you can just see what the original façade looked like)

Opinions most welcome.

View attachment 105956! View attachment 105958
Pretty sure will need planning permission won't you? My friend did last year for a porch (which was replacing a wooden one) and they paid a lot of attention to footings, requesting an engineer to provide specs etc. The foundations had to be inspected by the Local Authority when laid. His property is built on a raft as well. That was Fylde Council though, not Preston.

Concrete raft could be used but get engineer to design
What soil type are you on?

Well you will not need planning it creeps in a 3mx1m as permitted development,I would dig out what looks like tarmac where your step is and lay no more than150mm of concrete for the porch to sit on and then rebuild the step,I do not suppose you were thinking about removing the old front door,if you do then planning is required.

Then you need 1m deep trenches, 450mm wide, filled with a minimum of 600mm of concrete. If the hedge is substantial or has trees in it you may need to go deeper.
Or consult an engineer regarding a raft

Look it is a porch,not a extension,so tree lines and the such do not come into it,all you have to think about is a solid raft of concrete,most drives have less than 150mm of concrete in them,but what you will have to take care with is your damp course,this is a nice little job for a small builder just before xmas,go on line and get some quotes

Planning permission or not, you will still have to comply with local building regs. so important to get the depth and style of the footings correct. My mate used a semi retired engineer in (I think) Fleetwood who was very quick and cheap! You may be able to track him down - sadly my mate passed away very recently so I can't ask him.

Definitely need footings imo i use to do concrete base's for conservatorys never built on a raft and never needed planning permission unless over 30sqm floor space as fair as im aware porch is classed the same

Well you will not need planning it creeps in a 3mx1m as permitted development,I would dig out what looks like tarmac where your step is and lay no more than150mm of concrete for the porch to sit on and then rebuild the step,I do not suppose you were thinking about removing the old front door,if you do then planning is required.
Except it is going infront of the building's primary elevation, so might do. Easy answer, check on the government planning portal.

Just found an interesting site here with foundation details that may help to give advice? Sadly the site's forum has been closed :( House no longer has asbestos roof construction which was an issue some years ago

H1.jpg H2.jpg H3.jpg

Last edited:
My mate inherited some money.

He and his wife argued about whether he should have a pen!s extension or use the money for a conservatory on the side of their house.

He blew the cash on the penis extension.

The builders were rubbish and it looks awful.

You are getting some truly awful advice as per a car related internet forum, consult either an engineer or your local building control.

You are getting some truly awful advice as per a car related internet forum, consult either an engineer or your local building control.
Its a porch not a bungalow he's asking advice on ask the PM his opion aswell 🤣

Definitely need footings imo i use to do concrete base's for conservatorys never built on a raft and never needed planning permission unless over 30sqm floor space as fair as im aware porch is classed the same
I have never put up a conservatory but I have had to pull lots of them down that were built on footings of a scrape of concrete and a prayer.

Well Steve a lively thread on a Saturday afternoon,as I said you do not need planning for certain,you do get some funny posts,a porch normally goes on the front door which is normally in the front of the house,and no matter where it is if it measures 3mx1m it is permitted development,now there is a little grey area with building regs,but no planning department will bother with them because it relates to the fitting of the double glazed windows and the electrics if any are used,the last bit can be complied with at a later date if you get a electrician test all your electrics as you should every few years :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom