Opinions about pre facelift and post C63AMG gearbox!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dashurik

Car
c63
Im seriously thinking to get c63 AMG now.
We all know that pre facelift ones are cheaper(an bit older) than facelift ones.Also main deference is gearbox!
How bad or good is gearbox in both models? Is pre facelift is drivebale at all etc? I like styling of pre facelift more,but thoughts about "slow thinking" gearbox makes me think twice!
Haven't driven any of them yet,just asking for opinions.Thanks

Im seriously thinking to get c63 AMG now.
We all know that pre facelift ones are cheaper(an bit older) than facelift ones.Also main deference is gearbox!
How bad or good is gearbox in both models? Is pre facelift is drivebale at all etc? I like styling of pre facelift more,but thoughts about "slow thinking" gearbox makes me think twice!
Haven't driven any of them yet,just asking for opinions.Thanks

Are you a racing driver or planing to use the car at the track all the time?

Both gearbox are good and are more or less the same, one uses a torque converter and the other a wet clutch setup mainly for launch control.

Both are fast enough, doubt you'll notice much difference.

Changing from 3rd to 4th via the paddle on my 2014 C63 seems to be hit or miss whether it's acknowledged on the first pull of the paddle, not sure if I'm pulling it to quick and need to hold onto it for a tad longer. Other than that I can't fault it, rest of the time including down shifts it does what it's requested to do

Changing from 3rd to 4th via the paddle on my 2014 C63 seems to be hit or miss whether it's acknowledged on the first pull of the paddle, not sure if I'm pulling it to quick and need to hold onto it for a tad longer. Other than that I can't fault it, rest of the time including down shifts it does what it's requested to do

Mine with valve body done and solenoids is a lot more responsive and quick.

Sorry I can't answer your question directly as I've never driven a pre facelift, but the gearbox on the C63 is its weakpoint, it's pretty poor compared to other cars I've owned or driven, and mine was a 2013.

I've had both on a PPP car. 2010 and 2012. Both boxes are more than adequate in auto as they were never designed to be a manual. The faclelift car is the quicker car though because of the MCT upgrade in my opinion. I had both of mine mapped, both with LSD and both were / are PPP saloons. The facelift is a couple of tenths to a half second quicker in every sector, and I do a lot of vbox testing.

If you have the cash then buy the facelift, if not for the box but for the interior upgrade.

Mine with valve body done and solenoids is a lot more responsive and quick.

Without going off topic to much, was this something that you found happening prior to the work you had carried out. Only seems to be 3 to 4th up shift. If you don't mind me asking where did you have the work done and roughly what was the cost

Thanks and sorry you the Op for going a tad off topic

Without going off topic to much, was this something that you found happening prior to the work you had carried out. Only seems to be 3 to 4th up shift. If you don't mind me asking where did you have the work done and roughly what was the cost

Thanks and sorry you the Op for going a tad off topic

No I never thought the gearbox was slow in normal use only had it done since supercharged.

Sorry I can't answer your question directly as I've never driven a pre facelift, but the gearbox on the C63 is its weakpoint, it's pretty poor compared to other cars I've owned or driven, and mine was a 2013.
Interesting point!What do you compare it with?Thx

Both gearbox are good and are more or less the same, one uses a torque converter and the other a wet clutch setup mainly for launch control.

Both are fast enough, doubt you'll notice much difference.

This.

DCT it isn't but in all honesty I havnt really been bothered about the box.

Interesting point!What do you compare it with?Thx

I've had a few autos. From best to worst, just my opinion obviously.

1 Porsche PDK (Cayman)
2 VW DSG. (Golf R)
3 ZF (Jaguar F-Type)
4 ZF (Maserati GranTursimo)
5 MCT (C63)
6 SMG (E46 M3)

I'm probably going to order a new M3 DCT soon, the DCT is a million miles away from the old SMG, and from the few test drives I've had its miles ahead of the MCT in my C63, I'm not sure what the new C63 is like as I haven't driven one.

My only beef with it on our facelift model is sometimes it doesn't give you the gear you want fast enough on the downshift when in manual mode. I find its best left in sport + mode and let the computers do the work.

If only Mercedes had the twin clutch technology like the box out our new S3. Far superior in manual mode.

Anyway the engine more than makes up for the gearbox short falls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom