opinions and experiences of...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smoothrider

Car
W126 300SE
has anyone had work done with:

cars with stars
steve redfearn
george fraser
automerc

i need a misfire on my W126 looked at - what are your experiences of the above work, attitude and cost wise?

George Fraser was highly regarded sometime ago then later got some bad press.

From memory, I think that it was poor customer relationships and leaving customers' cars out in the street overnight. That didn't go down too well.

Hmm bit far so i dont know sorry. If ever you get to Reading, Star Motors on Send Road in Reading has done excellent stuff to my 126. Really transformed it.

All sorts. Just had my gearbox overhauled there, drives like a dream. They did my timing chain, lots of other random glitches while getting the car up to scratch. They know these cars inside out it seems, i'm very pleased with them.

what did the gearbox overhaul involve? and how much did it cost?
I need to do a few things to mine. downpipe blowing, valve guides worn, probably do distributor and rotary arm too.

It varies, best you call them and see. 01189462750 is their number. Mine wasnt too bad before but it had bad leaks and was starting to misbehave every now and then, made me nervous. Smooth as silk now. Apparently it costs more if it goes completely and has to be rehabilitated..
Good luck :)

mmmm my transmission sometimes takes a while to shift into 3rd, often straining and then shifting with a jerk...all other shifts are smooth..im not sure if theres an issue or not?

George Fraser was highly regarded sometime ago then later got some bad press.

From memory, I think that it was poor customer relationships and leaving customers' cars out in the street overnight. That didn't go down too well.

I thought it was them doing poor work and lending customers cars out as loaners to other customers that was the problem.

yeah i saw that george fraser review and it really put me off...but I had a word with him on the phone at the new place MB Motors GB Ltd and he quoted me £200 quid cheaper than automerc for the same job. anyone been to george recently?

the boss - thats a really high rating for cars with stars.
can you give some more details on why you rate danny highly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom