Opinions and thoughts sought - CLS -> E class estate ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6cyl

Car
CLS320 CDI
My kids are growing up, both secondary school age now. They participate in triathlons, we all love cycling and we're doing having more UK holidays.

I have a 2009 CLS 320CDI thats nicely specced with airmatic. I find it a very nice car to be in, family love it too, it's well suited for long journeys. Now I've been using another car to ferry the bikes around as I have a roof rack for that. My preference is to fit a tow bar mounted cycle carrier, but I haven't found any one that's willing to sell and fit a suitable towbar, citing the lack of conformity certificate. I've found that some have successfully fitted Thule roof bars using the 753 feet and 3049 fitting kit even though it's not marked as being compatible. So this is a a possible solution, though I'm wary of putting 3/4 bikes on the roof.

I don't really want to change my CLS, but are there any former CLS owners that have changed to E350CDI estate (W212) or perhaps the older E320CDI (W211), what are the pros and cons in your mind ?

Are many specified with full airmatic ? (I know the rear is air assisted)

(I've always wanted a V8, so an E55 or E63 wagon would be great too, but the fuel bills would put me off.)

hi i changed my cls 350 for a 2009 last of the 211 320 cdi sport estate 7 seater my reason was the wife fell and broke her hip and the estate was easyer for her to get in and out also for me with my dodgy knees had the cls for 3 years and loved the car had the estate for a year now and am happy with it funny thing the cls was longer then the estate

hmm, liking your post doesn't feel the right thing to do Carlis - thanks for your feedback. I guess the E estate is easier to get in and out of compared with the CLS. What do you think of the ride ?

I loved the CLS when it came out, and loved the sight of a CLS500 that I had to walk past every day on my way to the Tube station.

For its looks, I would buy a CLS in a shot, but I couldn't buy one for a variety of reasons, and instead ended up in an E500 estate (when my kids were sixth formers) and currently an S500.

The downside to the beauty of the CLS is the claustrophobia and limited headroom in the back, the inability to seat five, the inconvenience in loading the over 70's, and just generally the lack of ability to put a shedload of stuff, including bikes, into it for holidays

The S212 is dull in appearance, but they sell 250,000 E Class a year because they're well made, flexible, seat five, seem airy and the estate is one of the largest in the UK.

Like spouses, it's tempting to go for the attractive and impractical, but there's a price to pay. (So my wife tells me)

Like spouses, it's tempting to go for the attractive and impractical, but there's a price to pay. (So my wife tells me)

Mike, you see I have a 09 CLS already, succumbed to her teutonic, shapely figure about 12 months ago.

I'm seeing who has gone from a CLS to W211/2, probably estate for practical reasons. The headroom at the back is fine, my kids are not particularly tall, in fact i fit in the back quite comfortably.

I'm a shallow person, the looks and the ride is sublime. What do I loose by going practical (apart from the looks) ?

Just get an E63 estate, you know you want one. :) My current E63 is the fourth E Class estate that I've owned, as they're very practical and suit my purposes well. Also, I think that all the AMG estates come with airmatic as standard, which give a superior ride to those I've previously owned. The E63 is the first V8 that I've owned and I'm loving it!

Recently bought the CLS 250 shooting brake 2013 a stack of room folding rear split seats can seat 3 in the back all be it the middle is best suited for a child.
Love it or hate it

The 219 has a 40% stiffer body than the E so you will definitely lose some handling and driving fun.

That said the E is a compelling package for your requirements. Considering one myself one day although my first born is only a few months old so may postpone for a while and get a 213.

My other half has a CLS350 CDI and I own an E320 CDI. Both are a pleasure to own and drive and despite being similar are also different.

I’ve said before but the CLS is a bit sharper, more responsive in terms of steering and throttle. Interior is that big more modern too.

The E Class is comfier though, seating position is better adjusted for cruising and it feels more relaxed. Despite being similarly quick when you mash the accelerator.

Similar cars but different. Personally though the CLS is prettier and for every day driving round town a bit more fun. Not different enough for a change.

Although the estate models will be a lot more practical obviously.

The E63 estate would be a worthy replacement for my CLS, I'm sure the V8 will salve the loss of the CLS lines. I drove my CLS a tad over 14K miles last year, an E63 is likely to double the fuel costs (It gets fed Shell VPower GTL diesel exclusively). I got an average of 36mpg last year.

I don't have the space for another car, otherwise I'd probably just buy an older E320CDI with a towbar.

I'm surprised that an E class is comfier, as the CLS has that nailed. I can cover ground very quickly in that and still arrive unruffled. The boot is a good size too.

I went the other way w211E500 to cls55. Everything was pretty similar (Except the engine and exhaust note of course) apart from different optional specs on the two cars although both were heavily spec'd. CLS is a bit sharper being an AMG. However the E500 was fantastically quiet, fast a comfortable and would see over 30mpg on a run. Generally all 500s are well spec'd and have airmatic as standard. Get a later one with the 5.5 engine and you get 388 bhp instead of 306. They are quite rare though and even more so in estate form. Or just get an E55 or 63 and keep putting the petrol in (worth every penny IMHO)

Gotta be CLS Shooting Break then !

5 seats rather than 4 in the CLS and a pretty decent boot. You can get a towbar for the SB.

I had a 2014 350d. Quiet smooth and refined. 36mpg average.

My old E320cdi is more practical - easier to get in an out of and boot is larger and tailgate bigger so easier to load but the CLS SB feels a step up quality and ride wise from the E320/E350.

Paul, good call on the SB CLS, forgot about that. Prefer the purity of the v1 of the CLS, though the v2 isn't too shabby either.

I'm surprised that an E class is comfier, as the CLS has that nailed. I can cover ground very quickly in that and still arrive unruffled. The boot is a good size too.

Don’t get me wrong the CLS is damn comfy and still great for covering long distances.

Of course comfort is subject to height, weight etc. I just find things like the arm rests in my E Class are just the right height for me. In the CLS the feels just that bit too high.

Admittedly I do stints of 5 or so hours behind the wheel so I’m talking long boring drives. So those differences count for me personally :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom