Opinions on a New Grille for the CLS SB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, CLK350 'Vert, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
The car is a dark blue 2013 CLS Shooting Brake, with the single large horizontal bar grille. Single and two-bar grilles leave me cold; I much prefer the old-style multi-slatted chrome grille, but in the first place nobody makes them for the 218 CLS, and in the second place I don't think it one of those would suit the car anyway. The swirly diamond thing is an Abomination unto Nuggan, and I wouldn't have one as a gift.

However, I'm warming to the Panamericana-style grille, and I'm minded to fit one. Please see this eBay ad for how it would look (though I'd want a chrome surround if possible as well as chrome vertical bars; I'm not a fan of the blacked-out look either):

Mercedes-Benz CLS 2.1 CLS250 CDI BlueEFFICIEN 4 door grey AMG SPORT | eBay

Sirs, Ladies and Gentlemen, what think you? Any and all opinions welcome, for and against.

I am for chromed grilles in general, but in the case of the Panamericana, I actually prefer it black.... but either way it's a great grille to have.

I am for chromed grilles in general, but in the case of the Panamericana, I actually prefer it black.... but either way it's a great grille to have.
So do I Mark but I also love the swirly diamond abomination too 😁

It's all down to individual taste and what you like and think that matters.

Personally, I saw a face lift W218 CLS last week in black with the aftermarket panamericana grill and imo it looked odd and unfinished. Especially around the headlamp area.

However, pre face lift may possibly look different.

I agree entirely about the Panamericana grille all in black; some may think it looks mean and sporty (like black wheels, and dechromed trim, which I wouldn't want either), but on a dark-coloured car it indeed has an unfinished look to it, and needs a chrome surround as well. It looks OK without on a silver or lighter grey car, but it's all about contrast and balance for me.

Got one fitted to mine the chrome looks great a lot better than the original one

I agree entirely about the Panamericana grille all in black; some may think it looks mean and sporty (like black wheels, and dechromed trim, which I wouldn't want either), but on a dark-coloured car it indeed has an unfinished look to it, and needs a chrome surround as well. It looks OK without on a silver or lighter grey car, but it's all about contrast and balance for me.
I had another look at the Panamericanas on eBay and the other thread on here re these as I too was thinking of one of these a while back. I think it would look good on yours if you have the chrome surround version as you identified. I think it’s to do with the DRLs under the grille line on the pre-facelift version. My facelift doesn’t have that and I think the centre chrome bar in the grille helps the look on it, and the Panamericana grille would unbalance that - it would for me anyway. It’s such a personal thing, and maybe if I see one in the flesh I’d change my mind!

I've ordered a chrome surround version; I think the all-black version would look worse than the current setup, and I'm not keen on MB single or twin-bar grilles at the best of times. I'll put some pics up when I get it fitted.

Arrived yesterday; decent quality, ABS plastic.

Now I need to decide whether to fit metal or ABS plastic mesh. I'm inclined towards ABS plastic; slightly easier to work, and rather easier to stick if both surfaces are the same material. That last matters, because if it came unstuck anywhere, the bumper would have to come off again to re-secure it. Any thoughts, anybody?

ABS plastic mesh and sounds like a job for clear gorilla glue.

A bit late to the party here perhaps but I have the Panamericana (with chrome) fitted to mine, I like it but of course, it is a matter of taste.....

Attachments

• InkedIMG_20201022_190726_EDIT3.jpg
    InkedIMG_20201022_190726_EDIT3.jpg
    642.6 KB · Views: 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom