Opinions on a non amg mod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charlie2020

Car
E220d bluetech cabriolet
Hi forum,

I have made and will continue to make various personalisations to my a207.

I’m generally trying to avoid anything ‘amg’ as MB didn’t even release one in the 14-17 facelift cabriolet and it was the only one I wanted. So nothing to replicate if I was that way inclined.

So I’m in two minds about ‘ze flag’ I added yesterday. I welcome opinions and honest feedback. I’m a total newb in the Mercedes world and as far as I know this could be a known ‘tackiness’ amongst owners.

43A23FF6-C1EE-4CD6-9CCD-3135574CBB6C.jpeg
(It’s actually quite relevant to other plans eg. callipers were going to be painted blue but not if it stays)

thanks
Charlie

Two schools of thought on this. Some might say its superfluous as its self evident that a Mercedes is "German". ;) However in days gone-by country identifiers were more to do with the nationality of the owner rather than the car itself so people might think its being used as such. :dk: Its your car and your personalisation . What I do like is the level of detail. Its small and unobtrusive and not "in your face" so if you like it fine.:cool:

Yep I agree with both points. Whilst there be nothing wrong with people thinking the driver is German...it’s not the plan. It remains on there today because I guess I like it. I mentioned the idea to a work colleague and he said I should get one of those plastic eye lashes that go above the headlights, turn it upside down and pop it in the middle like a mustash, did make me chuckle!

Italian manufacturers often incorporate the 'tricoloure' into the trim design.

The the new Mini has the Union Jack incorporated into the rear light cluster (in spite of the brand owner being German).

That was exactly what motivated me to put it on - a subtle ‘homage’

It’s absolutely the sort of thing I’ll change my mind about in future. Which is partly why I put it on the splitter to avoid discolour on the bumper (I’m only guessing that could happen).

Last edited:
Its your car and your personalisation . What I do like is the level of detail. Its small and unobtrusive and not "in your face" so if you like it fine.:cool:

I like it, not in your face, your car go for it

kc

Like it!
And welcome, Charlie. :)

It's subtle and I doubt many people will even notice it, looks OK to me. P.S Thanks for not sticking AMG badges all over it, enough of those around already. :thumb:

You will probably end up with 50/50 like/dislike. Your car do what you like. Not my cuppa.

I assume you’re asking why as in why bother at all?

I guess I could answer with why do manufacturers offer colour options to personalise a new purchase?
‘Why customise’ is also a question that’s probably puzzling marketers of the likes of Halfords with a shrinking market for exterior styling...probably due to the growing amount of custom options manufacturers offer. But to give a short answer to the short question.
“Because it brings me happiness exploring ideas that might make my pride and joy look better to me AND increase how much I like it”

Quite nice but, a bit Audi ish ...

Well it will help differentiate your car in the car park....

I noticed the badge on the first photos that you put on when you said you had just bought it and it just made me think I wonder what else the last owner has tinkered with?
It's your car. If you like it, it's your choice.
At least it's subtle. I regularly see an a180 with an amg badge on the rear

I noticed the badge on the first photos that you put on when you said you had just bought it and it just made me think I wonder what else the last owner has tinkered with?
It's your car. If you like it, it's your choice.
At least it's subtle. I regularly see an a180 with an amg badge on the rear

god no, I put it on on Saturday, it was just a mash up of easily available pics I included in my intro which was on Saturday. I probably wouldn’t have bought it if it had any mods at all. (It’s an approved used from main dealer, one owner, 1 year warranty and just had its B service - so no dodgyness there...fingers crossed). I’ve had for 3 months but only just joined this forum. And yes I do have an AMG badge, but it’s still sealed and in the glove box!

Decided to remove ‘ze flag’ today.

Two main reasons;

1 - one of my favourite jackets is a dark green military style jacket, let’s just say the two together could give out the wrong message

2- car booked in to the dealer today to sort a steering whistle when cold and quite frankly I was embarrassed! :oops:

But a couple of quid well spent, I certainly think the size and location of it was spot on, might revisit in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom