opinions on BMW F01/02 2011 year model on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
I thinking of jumping ship back into a BMW, i did see a rather nice metallic Blue F02 the other day 730LD, they just seem so much car for the money.

I'm not overly keen on current MB offerings, the ones I am are way out of price range.

Anyone had any experience with a F01 or F02.

Any feedback please, what to look out for desirable options such as comfort access, active seats, HUD etc.

I will be putting an ad together for the CLS this Weekend 3 years of ownership, it's time for change for car and brand .

Thanks

Michael

We have just bought a 3 yr old 730Ld with low miles for 22+vat. Such a lot of car for the money.

We have just bought a 3 yr old 730Ld with low miles for 22+vat. Such a lot of car for the money.

The 6 and 7 Series drop like a stone from new.

I think the market makes sure they find their proper value. Part of the problem with BMW is that basically once you get to the 5-Series in the range that's it. The 6 and the 7 are both out of the same parts bin and structure.

MB make a bit more effort to differentiate the S from the E-Class and CLS.

Though I think MB should take warning from this because they seem to be sharing a bit too much across the range - such as having the next gen SL and SLK share the same platform - and the E Coupe and C share the same platform.

My Dad has an F01 730d and I have an F07 5 Series GT (pretty much the same running gear as the F01).

Both have been pretty much faultless, nothing of note to watch out for. Spec is important but I'd choose colour combination carefully too. My F07 is the same colour combo as the link above on the Audi forum.

They're quite highly specced as standard, some options that are desirable:

Reverse camera
Lane departure warning
Rear entertainment (if you have kids)

The front camera's aren't that useful (my uncle has them on his F07 and a friend on his F01 and they hardly ever use them).

Can't remember if the fully adaptive suspension is standard on the F01/F02

Can't remember if the fully adaptive suspension is standard on the F01/F02

The F01/F02 have been about for a while so there is presumably a facelift/update at some point since it was introduced.

Air suspension was standard on the 7 when I was looking at BMWs in early 2013.

The 8 speed ZF box would presumably have been brought in about 2011.

The F01/F02 have been about for a while so there is presumably a facelift/update at some point since it was introduced.

Air suspension was standard on the 7 when I was looking at BMWs in early 2013.

The 8 speed ZF box would presumably have been brought in about 2011.

Yes, there was a facelift in 2012 which is when the 8 speed box came in (the F07 always had the 8 speed box and self leveling rear air suspension). Just can't recall the standard setup on the earlier F01's. The facelift revised the headlights and taillights and mildly re-profiled bumpers. The key differentiator for the 2012 is that the angel eyes are much whiter (the pre-facelift are a little more orangey).

Also note that the new generation 7 series (2016 model) has just been announced, called the G11/G12 so I'm sure used prices of the current model could fall further.

Last edited:
The 6 and 7 Series drop like a stone from new.

I think the market makes sure they find their proper value. Part of the problem with BMW is that basically once you get to the 5-Series in the range that's it. The 6 and the 7 are both out of the same parts bin and structure.

agree with above. 7 series is a nice car, but in my opinion it very quickly looks out dated and almost old fashioned. They are very anonymous looking cars, especially compared against your CLS anyway ;)

Had one of those....still considering to go back to but need to look out for few niggles bothered me with the one I had:
- plastic like rattle from headliner
- rattle in passenger seat (really annoying)
- drivers seat edge worn in m sport seats, squeezed or pressed in
- arm test leather worn out
- few buttons on controls worn
That was with 70k miles
Quality far from Merc S class
Other then that great, specially 3.0d engine - brilliant!!!!

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm in no major rush and as said a new model is imenent so prices will soften, think I'll wait a few more months see what happens.

I'm very weirdly attached to my CLS! I think it's the colour combo and spec plus they are a very marmite car.

Why follow the heard?

I had a 2011 740d M Sport

Absolutley loved that car and tbh I should never had sold it.

it only had 25k on the clock and was covered with all the insurances they sell you at the main dealer because I bought it from BMW and they did me a deal for everything.

I have no complaints whatsoever, spec is very hit and miss and now I'm looking at a 14/15 plate 760Li M Sport and none have the spec I want and if they do they aren't int the right colour.

For daily driving a 730d is more than enough, for motorway 740d but I want a 760Li just because lifes to short for regrets and coffins don't have pockets ;)

Here's a couple of pics of mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom