Opinions on market for W124 Coupe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srefre

Car
W124 E220 >> W203 C180 >> W204 C320
Been a while since I have posted, but hoping for opinions or advice.

Unfortunately, my uncle has become severely ill to the point where he needs constant care and certainly can no longer drive, so his car needs to be disposed of. My aunt was thinking to just get it scrapped, but I wanted to get the opinion of the minds here, before telling her whether this is a good or bad idea.

The car itself is a late W124 E320 Coupe - N plate. I believe he has owned it since it was nearly new bought from a main dealer. Always been serviced, and currently taxed and MOT'd so still roadworthy, although it has mostly been sat since the beginning of this year, so will likely need some attention. The bodywork is mostly sound, but there are a few minor bumper scuffs typical of someone that was losing the capacity to drive.

With attention, I believe the car could be bought up to a high standard but is this model considered a classic and are there buyers for this type of vehicle?

Sorry if this reads like a classified, that's not my intent, just trying to understand if the car has any value, if there is a collector worth contacting who takes this type of vehicle on, or if it is better just being scrapped. In different circumstances, we would get the car in top condition, but this is not going to happen, and the goal is to keep things hassle-free for obvious reasons.

There is certainly a market for 124 coupes. If it has a decent spec and service history someone will want it. Value will depend on condition, whether the usual issues of the wiring loom and head gasket have been addressed and the state of the underside - mainly jacking points and rear subframe mounts. If its only been stood a few months it will probably fire up fine - ours stands unused for 3 months sometimes but always fires up instantly. Its definitely not scrap material.

Thanks for the response. Will find out about the points mentioned.

Does anyone know of any collectors or dealers who could advise on spec and condition?
I can get photos of the car if it will help, just need to know what specific areas would need to be captured.

Photos are always good for the inet. Maybe take a look at some other car ads and take some pictures like the ones you like the most.

A beautiful car, please don't scrap it. All that generation of coupes' have a keen following.

There is definitely a market for W124 coupes that are in good condition. Unfortunately cars that "need a bit of work" fall into a car buying no-mans land between runners and those fit mainly for spares. Those in no-mans land tend to attract buyers that are prepared to pay only " fit for spares" prices as a hedge against the unknown. In most case this represents a major drop in potential value which might be realised by simply spending a little money first. As advised a few decent pictures would help. Include a few engine compartment ones as they are often missed out.

The car has obviously been looked after and as it still has an MOT there is absolutely no need to scrap it especially as that would probably yield a return of £100 or less.

It is worth considerably more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom