Opinions on MB or slum it with a VW!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MWCLS

MB Enthusiast
Car
S320 CDI Perlite Gray Metallic 2005
Well I'm back after a brief spell of no personal car ownership and was looking at at S W222 AMG models. I have discounted them purely as I have daughter due in 4 weeks and 2 sons under 5 and I dont think my bank balance could handle the maintenance!
So I've been looking at more compact cars ( I live in Chelmsford ) anyone who knows parking in town is terrible.

So I've been looking at C300 Coupé 18 reg onwards, E Coupé 400 petrol facelift but still strong money. Which led me to a Golf R DSG facelift 5 door hatchback 7.5. I know the new model is going on sale late October but VW have no plans to make a R version.
I like the look of them, I have yet to drive one and the performance figures running costs all look favourable. I'd buy through a main dealer with a budget up to 35k.. so looking at a newish car pre reg at that price.

Has anyone driven or owned one? A Golf R DSG. I couldn't live with a manual so that's not in the running.

I do tend to see men in their 50's driving these cars which I thought was a little odd. But they do fly under the radar nicely which attracts me to!

Any opinions welcome

For that money you could get a new Leon Cupra ST 4drive and have change in your pocket. It's the same car to all intents and purposes.

I looked at the Golf R, very competent but boring. The FWD variants were a more engaging experience, despite being a worse dynamic package on paper. Perhaps the endearment of character flaws? In the end I took the Cupra 290 hatchback over the Golf TCR as it was about 10k cheaper.

It may also be of consideration that Golf Rs are quite a magnet for the unsavoury felons of this country. IIRC someone of this parish had theirs pinched while their C63 was ignored.

Last edited:
Hi

A friend has a 7.5, I’ve been in it a number of times and love it (so does he) he paid around £30k brand new through Drive the Deal. Just had a quick look on DTD and they’re still the same price for a bog standard.

A close friend works for VW - had an R home a few times and has driven since.
It is a serious amount of car for a hatch and rarely feels that pushed - very capable for the money...tho I can’t fault Doodles logic above, comes down to a badge (even an equivalent audi).
They can attract attention but it’s prob certain colours highlight it more than others, just like a GTI over the years.

I do remember the statement when we were both sat in it being “you don’t really need any more car do you?”...obviously with massive grins on our faces and the mpg average a lot lower :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the comments.. the cupra is the same engine from my understanding without the Haldex drive system - its pretty difficult to find a well specced car. I'm not fussed on leather but a pan roof would be a bonus along with the Apro exhaust system. These seem rare. I did look at the TCR and it's a rare car seemingly.. my desire and mind seems to be leaning to the R.. I may change my mind once I get the time to test drive one. Do you think the sales man or woman will be ok with me engaging launch mode from the forecourt?

Cupra hatchback is FWD only with the VAQ diff. Cupra ST is Haldex 4WD. You won't find much spec variance, it's either standard or Lux, which adds ACC, heated seats and keyless. Sunroofs will be rare and weren't panoramic.

You're right, you don't get lining in the door storage in the Seat. Same engine, drivetrain, chassis platform and electronics package, but no furry door bins.

I've seen Golf R with pan roofs ( uk spec ) I think it's a good all around package.

The seat will be a equally capable car but I cant get over their ropey Spanish heritage although now they are a golf with a different badge.

Car thefts.. the pond life are nicking 1.0 ford fiestas.. good security will be a priority if and when I take the plunge into VW Golf R terrority.

Hard to believe the Germans have had their towels on the sun loungers at Martorell for over 30 years now

Had many hot Golfs. The R is brilliant. Don’t buy a SEAT they have no resale value.
Every time I hear about someone buying an R, I have to stop myself heading down to the VW dealer

SEAT's are not "essentially" the same as VW or Audi. Try sitting in both side by side and you will notice the differences. Having said that SEAT cars are nice just lower quality.

Having been within VAG empire, I would contest the fact that Seat are 'lower quality' than VW. All VAG products have to adhere to the very same sign off criteria.
Whilst there is no ruling on furry door bins, the functionality of all the cars are the same. The level of tinsel and lipstick varies by the brand.
I suppose Skoda are perceived as the 'lowest quality' VW brand, but that is 'simply clever' and possibly why they are the most recommended by Whatcar and consistently out perform other VAG brands in reliability indexes:dk:

Well I'm back after a brief spell of no personal car ownership and was looking at at S W222 AMG models. I have discounted them purely as I have daughter due in 4 weeks and 2 sons under 5 and I dont think my bank balance could handle the maintenance!

MWCLS - congrats on the new baby's imminent arrival.

However this means you can not have a Mercedes Coupe or Cabriolet as they are all 4 seaters not 5. (or in case of SL, SLC, AMG-GT derivatives, only 2 seats)....

As a dad of 3, I solved this problem by refusing to sell my SL which only had 2 seats as that was every bit as useless to the whole family as the other coupe/cabs that Mercedes make. So large family car (Mercedes ML at the time) for my wife, SL for me. But for the last 3 years she got her own back (now kids are much bigger) as she has Mini Cooper S and I got the GLC 250 diesel. That latter situation is now fixed though (see signature) ... and I still have the SL 15 years later.

Your next problem is you will have 3 all in car seats, and you will have a problem getting 3 car seats in the back of many cars, so you need to go test that in a Golf - you'll probably be buying car seats as-well to make that fit.

The problem after that is going to be 2 hotel rooms instead of 1 large one when you can afford to go on holiday again :-(. - But the joy of 3 kids outweighs all of this pain !!!

Sorry
R

You're right, you don't get lining in the door storage in the Seat. Same engine, drivetrain, chassis platform and electronics package, but no furry door bins.

All the manufacturers do this now, even across their own ranges. Example (if I remember right) the VWs have damped grab handles, the Skoda does not. On BMW, yesterday I wired in BMW dash cams in a 3 series and a 7 series. The process was pretty much identical with fuseboxes etc in exactly same places (and almost identical) and same panels have to be removed. The 3 series door sill just pulls straight off, the 7 series is much better fixed with 4 screws. 7-Series - Behind the dash there is a lot more noise damping pads (such as behind the end panel there is one, not on a 3 series). On Mercedes, the 'C' class (C, GLC ...) is much better built than the A/B/CLA/GLA etc (the centre console compartments just pull straight out, no tools needed), and E is better again with more noise suppression etc etc.

- VW/Audi just seems to do this between the brands, whereas BMW, Mercedes do it between the different "series" of vehicles.

R

Had many hot Golfs. The R is brilliant. Don’t buy a SEAT they have no resale value.

You're right, lease one instead. :thumb: The rates are ridiculously cheap currently.

Resale is relative, however. A few k extra at the end for a higher amount extra up front, so go for whichever one floats your boat.

Haha thanks Richard, the wife's car now a ford edge ( her choice! ) will be on the children duties!

I'm still unsure about that sort of money for a golf.. ok it's a capable car... problem is there is to much choice.

My sister bought a brand new Golf R about a year ago and absolutely loves it, I’ve got my grubby mits on it plenty of times and really enjoy it, yes 4wd is a bit boring compared to my normal RWD stuff but as a complete package it’s brilliant and literally sticks like shit to a blanket when taking a corner.

My sister bought a brand new Golf R about a year ago and absolutely loves it, I’ve got my grubby mits on it plenty of times and really enjoy it, yes 4wd is a bit boring compared to my normal RWD stuff but as a complete package it’s brilliant and literally sticks like shit to a blanket when taking a corner.
You’re just one of those Yorkshire boy racers in disguise. I’m sure you overtook me on the M62 at the 155 limiter chasing a C63

You’re just one of those Yorkshire boy racers in disguise. I’m sure you overtook me on the M62 at the 155 limiter chasing a C63
You’d do well hitting 55mph on the M62 never mind 155 it’s that busy!

M180 much better for things like that so I’ve been told...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom