Opinions on this SL 600 please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
09 E320 cdi Sport Estate, 98 E300TD Estate, 99 SL 500
Both seem outrageous value for money.

Whilst a V12 would be tempting, I suspect a V8 might give you most of the thrills but with a slightly smaller impact on your wallet should the unthinkable happen.

The 500 is nice, the 600 has ADS and very few people can fix them if it goes wrong, the 500 has everything including the wooden wheel and the only other extra that was available is the pano roof, so it has everything. and it is the right colour

Everything that was extra in early 98 was standard in 99

Last edited:
Agree with Television, I'd go for the 500 over the 600 any time. The V12 are quite different engines and few people can work on them. The V8 gives you all you want in terms of driving.

Agree with evreyone go for the 500 what a car!:bannana:

I've got to say, that SL500 is an amazing looking car and seems great value. Miles look a little high for an SL (I know 89k is nothing of great concern MB wise, just that most seem to have quite a lot less?) Might affect resale somewhat, but it is priced accordingly it would seem.

I'm sure Stats and the other 129 owners/ex-owners ;) will add words of wisdom. All I can assume is that if it's remotely tatty it's a waste of time as 129s must be pricey to put right - better off buying the best available in your budget :)

Have you seen/driven many examples yet?

Will

Hi

Viewed/driven a couple of 300's and 500's all pre facelift though.

Think i will give the V12 a miss though.

The search goes on.

including the wooden wheel and the only other extra that was available is the pano roof, so it has everything. and it is the right colour
:devil: :D It hasn't got a colour! That colour wood for me looks lkike someone didn't enjoy a rotten vin de loo (where's the loo) Sorry, but apart from the lack of colour and that choice of wood that most folks appear to like, then the 500. :)

John

attachment.php

The 600 has the wooden center console, I bought one for the 129 320 that I had from Ebay Germany

:devil: :D It hasn't got a colour! That colour wood for me looks lkike someone didn't enjoy a rotten vin de loo (where's the loo) Sorry, but apart from the lack of colour and that choice of wood that most folks appear to like, then the 500. :)

John

John, thats is chestnut and it is still offered today on the current 230 SL.

The only listed option that it has not got is the APS30

Last edited:
John, thats is beech and it is still offered today on the current 230 SL.
:) It is still not a colour that appeals to me. :devil: I just prefer something tht is not so 'in your face' I dread to think of having something that colour in my face :D :D

Thanks for the info and I do like that 500.

Regards
John

yes i agree that beech colour is horrible in the flesh... it comes up on S class's quite often at the auctions, ive never seen one make reserve...

Agree with the V12 opinions too, you wont get much more bang but your wallet will suffer maybe twice as much...

:) It is still not a colour that appeals to me. :devil: I just prefer something tht is not so 'in your face' I dread to think of having something that colour in my face :D :D

Thanks for the info and I do like that 500.

Regards
John

I must be honest John, when looking for a 230, I viewed one at MB in Dorchester that had the beech wood trim, when I told the salesman that I did not like the wood, he rang me back and said that if I bought the car they would change it to walnut free, but that was an offer I could refuse and did :):) as I did not like the car anyway

he rang me back and said that if I bought the car they would change it to walnut free, but that was an offer I could refuse and did :):) as I did not like the car anyway
:) You've answered a question I was about to ask, I dread to think of the cost involved with the larger S-class, but if they are not making the reserve, then could it be a viable option?

Thanks again

John

yes but John, for the dealer this may be viable as it may be a 50K+ car and an extra £1-2k in parts may be relatively small... doing that on a 10-20K car would be pointless...

yes but John, for the dealer this may be viable as it may be a 50K+ car and an extra £1-2k in parts may be relatively small... doing that on a 10-20K car would be pointless...
thanks very much for confirming my thoughts.

Regards
John

One can always have the existing panels re finished, but you are still looking at a few hundred pounds unless you do your own as I would do. On the SL its quite feasible, but as Jay says on a S or E class its just too much work

Ahem! What exactly are you people with no taste saying about my s-class' interior colour scheme? :devil:

merc6.jpg

It's chestnut and actually looks very nice with the black leather - as well as having some personality and individuality :devil: ;)

Ahem! What exactly are you people with no taste saying about my s-class' interior colour scheme? :devil:

merc6.jpg

It's chestnut and actually looks very nice with the black leather - as well as having some personality and individuality :devil: ;)

I think that your car looks great and nice, I think that the difference is the on your car its moulded and goes all the way round, on the SL it has a few pieces stuck on and stands out too much. In a CL it also looks ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom