Opinions please... Alloy wheel option for W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks Jimti, that's very helpful. I miss the 'Elegance' ride but enjoy the better cornering of the W210, very good for such a big car.

aka$h said:
Looks better with the wheels you have IMO :)
If you like the look of your wheels, why dont you just get them refurbed, take a look at this link
http://www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk

I emailed the wheelrefurbishing people linked above and have so far had no reply, but will call them soon if I hear nothing. My wheels may be perfectly salvageable and their prices are very good.

Otherwise I'll probebly end up with something alon the lines of Monty's wheels, whe I first looked at that set of OE wheels I thought they were hideously expensive until I saw they come with new Dunlop tyres. I'll find out why they don't match (one different).

Ian.

How exactly are kerbed alloys restored, are they filed/sanded down, or are the rough edges filled in and blended to match?? How much would refurbing 4 alloys wheels cost aprox.?

Sorry to rake up an old thread... ;)

Thought I should let you all know what I did in the end. I bought some 17" wheels very similar to the Avantgarde alloys fitted to late 210s. Here's the listing... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2480556383

A set of bolts was supplied but I've found them to be about 5mm too long, so I can't fit them yet. Hopefully I can sort that in time for the meet at the weekend, as I've been busy and replaced all of the discs and pads in the last couple of days.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

Ian.

if you want a better ride, stay away from Continentals. Read about my experience:

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7207

IanT said:
Sorry to rake up an old thread... ;)

Thought I should let you all know what I did in the end. I bought some 17" wheels very similar to the Avantgarde alloys fitted to late 210s. Here's the listing... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2480556383

A set of bolts was supplied but I've found them to be about 5mm too long, so I can't fit them yet. Hopefully I can sort that in time for the meet at the weekend, as I've been busy and replaced all of the discs and pads in the last couple of days.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :)

Ian.

Well, I went for Dunlops in the end... among the cheaper big brands and non-rotational tread, which is an advantage if I want to renew them in whole sets with equal wear.

Thanks for the tip though - Contis were almost on my list but were some £25 more expensive per corner.

Ian.

look great how'd you find those pepole to deal with,they've got a set listed that i like.

tony

Great look! No wheel gap whatsoever despite going up a wheel size. Makes the look car very sporty

Great job :rock:

Last edited:
tonyw said:
look great how'd you find those pepole to deal with,they've got a set listed that i like.

tony

Well they seemed to be fine. I made my winning bid and arranged to pick them up, but the chap had to attend a funeral and so he posted the wheels to me for £10 (even supplying bolts and centres) . I paid £380 inc postage which I think was fair. They came well packed in sturdy boxes and are exactly what you'd expect.

The chap was easy to deal with and I am happy with his service.

Ian.

gklau said:
Great look! No wheel gap whatsoever despite going up a wheel size. Makes the look car very sporty

Great job :rock:

LOL... but it's a DIESEL!!!

I agree though, hopefully no one thinks mutton and lamb. ;) I look at it this way - when I have saved up some more I might change for an E240 (2.6 V6) and the wheels can go on that if I look after them. I just need to get the old ones refurbished so that they will be presentable for sale.

The drive is better too, the steering is much more lively than it was on the (narrower and taller) GoodYears, although the road noise is increased, which wasn't part of the plan, albeit not unexpected. The reason there's no problem with the fitting is that the size is listed for the E220CDI in the owners manual and the running circumference of the tyres is exactly the same as for the old wheels.

I'll bring a bucket of polish along to the GTG so I can keep them sparkly clean for the day ;)

Ian.

IanT said:
I emailed the wheelrefurbishing people linked above and have so far had no reply, but will call them soon if I hear nothing. My wheels may be perfectly salvageable and their prices are very good.

Ian.

I've had prices of about £50 per wheel from www.chipsaway.co.uk and others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom