Opinions please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moultoneer

Car
CLK320
This is a CLK 320 that I will be viewing this Sat, (23rd.) Anybody see any red flags?

Mercedes Benz CLK 320 V6 Auto | in Darlington, County Durham | Gumtree

Had a 1/2hr chat with the seller and he seems OK. The gearbox was done before he got it. I thought that the only gearbox issues this model had was the one associated with the rad problem, but he says that there is no record of a new rad at the same time.

Seems to have had work done so I'll have to wait and see what paper work he has to back it up.

Had a lot of owners though and he did say that it suffers from the stepper motor clicking problem. Is that something you can just learn to live with or does it presage a bigger problem down the line?

Although they look good, not sure I'm going to like the wheel/tyre combo. I want comfort/quiet. They look a bit harder/sportier.

Thanks,

LGO.

So, did you buy it?

Hello and welcome,

The details surrounding the stepper motor have been covered by the learned members of this excellent forum, try the following link please:

W209 Infamous stepper motor click inside dash

Otherwise check every single electrical item for operation, including the headlamp washers, be noticeable of any fluctuation on the water pump and when the vehicle is cold turn the wheel from lock to lock and listen for moans/groans! Service history is more necessity than luxury, oh and make sure it has a spare key, there's a couple of members already in the Darlo area who may offer more advise, good luck! :)

Thanks guys. I rang the seller as arranged on Friday night. No answer so left a message asking him to ring me the following day but didn't get a call, and haven't since, so maybe he sold it.

LGO.

In my past experiences of buying used cars at that price point - half decent ones sell to the first viewer...if a bit cheap even a trader.

So i just made sure I viewed what I could within hours- within a reasonable distance.

Leaky sumps were always a problem on these, no gasket, only sealant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom