Opinions sought, please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Giantvanman

MB Enthusiast
Car
FFRR 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography
I have finally convinced the wife that her rather pretty SLK is indeed too small for me (by a long way) and that as retirees we deserve a little luxury (see what I did there :D). With that in mind, we are contemplating changing the SLK for an SL but have no idea on what the appropriate pricing is. Therefor, to give me a guide, is the following about right for age/mileage/options so I have a benchmark?

Used Cars - 2010 Mercedes-Benz SL SL500 Tenorite grey metallic

I haven't discounted the SL350 by the way but this particular SL500 caught my eye. I should add that I can get more for my, sorry our, sorry HER money if we buy non-franchised but for the amount we are looking to spend, we would prefer going to a dealer.

For that sort of price I'd probably be looking at M-B Approved Used .. the rock solid warranty gives good peace of mind with what is a pretty complex car. After a year you'll have a good idea whether you've got a good 'un or not. I didn't bother renewing the Tier 1 on my R129 SL.

No idea about pricing , but that is a very nice looking car .

Looks good but SL65, SL55 and nearly SL63 kind of money.

I don't doubt it but there is something about the SL500 that sits right in my mind if that makes any sense. Just as well because I would be very hard pushed to convince my wife that she needed an SL63 never mind an SL65! I spent many years driving and riding like my hair was on fire and now prefer elegant wafting with a hint of power on tap.

I don't doubt it but there is something about the SL500 that sits right in my mind if that makes any sense. Just as well because I would be very hard pushed to convince my wife that she needed an SL63 never mind an SL65! I spent many years driving and riding like my hair was on fire and now prefer elegant wafting with a hint of power on tap.

No it doesn't make any sense and if you have any hair left you will make the right decision.

500 might be harder to resell just because there are better contenders out there (for the money).

;)

For that sort of price I'd probably be looking at M-B Approved Used .. the rock solid warranty gives good peace of mind with what is a pretty complex car. After a year you'll have a good idea whether you've got a good 'un or not. I didn't bother renewing the Tier 1 on my R129 SL.

If we went for an SL, I could see us keeping it for quite a while so the inevitable quandary regarding warranties will arise; put the money aside or buy the warranty. We shall see.

No it doesn't make any sense and if you have any hair left you will make the right decision.

500 might be harder to resell just because there are better contenders out there (for the money).

;)

I am very much out of my depth here so have to ask what you mean.

Sl65 all day long for that £.

I remember a thread regarding coil packs at £1500 each……I feel slightly nauseous just thinking about needing more than one in one sitting. I am a pensioner after all.:eek:

I am very much out of my depth here so have to ask what you mean.

30 grand buy you ample performance, premium leather and an incredible soundtrack of an AMG car. Who in their right mind will spend that kind of money on a 500? Maybe you. Then you're stuck with it until you decide to sell and that's when your buyers will be saying 'if it was an AMG, I'd pay your asking price but since it's only a 500... blah'.

It's a no brainer. Take your missus to drive all 4 of them back to back and let her make a decision. She will probably go for a red one (I would).

500 drinks fuel like any of those 3 above so your running cost won't be any different.

30 grand buy you ample performance, premium leather and incredible soundtrack of an AMG car. Who in their right money will spend that kind of money on a 500? Maybe you. Then you're stuck with it until you decide to sell and that's when your buyers will be saying 'if it was an AMG, I'd pay your asking price but since it's only a 500... blah'.

It's a no brainer. Take your missus to drive all 4 of them back to back and let her make a decision. She will probably go for a red one (I would).

500 drinks fuel like any of those 3 above so your running cost won't be any different.

I see now. I get what you are saying but as mad and unfashionable as it sounds, silent wafting is our thing. I can see the attraction for 'shouty' exhausts/engines but not sure it is for us……..we'll see though. As for red paint, we have seen a couple of nice red ones and like them!

I see now. I get what you are saying but as mad and unfashionable as it sounds, silent wafting is our thing. I can see the attraction for 'shouty' exhausts/engines but not sure it is for us……..we'll see though. As for red paint, we have seen a couple of nice red ones and like them!

Don't worry about the noise. 55 will be the quietest of the lot. That's why you see people in the AMG section looking to improve the sound.

Take it for a drive, don't discard just because of stereotypes. They are very civilised in regular traffic and not deafening. Not the 55 anyway.

Btw, the 55 will have the same engine displacement as the newer 500 and it's a bulletproof engine (the 55). You'll love it.

It iIs a little known fact but due to the aerodynamics the SL500 has some of the best fuel consumption figures out there. Sixty or even more miles per gallo can be achieved with relative ease.
The Mercedes dealers are so fond of these Mercedes classics that they will price cut to get your business - minor services costing around £100 and major services often coming in a smidge under £150.
Tyres are another surprise. They are a 'standard' size for high performance vehicles and a bit of shopping around will bag you them a around £50 per corner.
The SL class was narrowly beaten by the Lexus LS in the reliability stakes - the Lexus taking the crown.
As a highly desirable car, depreciation is almost non existent - expect to lose around £1k per year after the initial hit.
The only downside is road tax which does not reflect the excellent fuel consumption and can be up to £200 per year depending on the engine size.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

It iIs a little known fact but due to the aerodynamics the SL500 has some of the best fuel consumption figures out there. Sixty or even more miles per gallo can be achieved with relative ease.
The Mercedes dealers are so fond of these Mercedes classics that they will price cut to get your business - minor services costing around £100 and major services often coming in a smidge under £150.
Tyres are another surprise. They are a 'standard' size for high performance vehicles and a bit of shopping around will bag you them a around £50 per corner.
The SL class was narrowly beaten by the Lexus LS in the reliability stakes - the Lexus taking the crown.
As a highly desirable car, depreciation is almost non existent - expect to lose around £1k per year after the initial hit.
The only downside is road tax which does not reflect the excellent fuel consumption and can be up to £200 per year depending on the engine size.

Forgive my ignorance, Ted, but are you referring to the R129 variant or the later SL500 as in the link?

It was just something you could show the wife as a reply to help her decide.
I was fibbing a little bit.

Well a lot actually.

Check with the online Glass's Guide.

A rough check is free. A detailed check, which takes into account mileage, condition, optional extras etc., costs, I think, £3.95 or three for £7.

I've found their prices to be in the ballpark.

It was just something you could show the wife as a reply to help her decide.
I was fibbing a little bit.

Well a lot actually.

Brilliant. Nay, genius. :thumb: And it would have worked if I hadn't LMAO and had to fess up! :eek:

I'm kind of the same mind , having been toying with the idea of getting a R129 for a while , but probably just as a fair weather car and having something else as well , probably keeping the 190 and letting the 270 go .

While I'll only be looking to spend just over 1/10 of what you're looking at , I've driven both a 500 and a 300 , and , although initially pessimistic , have been pleasantly surprised what can be picked up for four grand .

Likewise , I used to 'make good progress' quite a lot , but these days I tend to pootle about somewhat below the speed limits , so a 300 will be adequate for me , uses a little less fuel , is a bit cheaper to maintain , changes direction more readily due to less weight up front and the sound of a straight six is as nice as anything else on the road , whilst quiet and refined .

So , I too don't see the biggest and most powerful engine as an imperative .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom