Opinions sought re: economical car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kusanku

Car
A180cdi Avant Garde
My wife has just got a new job, which will involve her driving around 500 miles a week, possibly more. I'm quite happy to let her have the CLK for this, as I hardly use it, but she wants something more economical (plus she hates two door cars).

So I'm looking to spend around £8k. Requirements are diesel, automatic, four doors, reliable and economical. Prestige and image are not a concern. My initial thought was something like a Citroen C4. She seems to have her eye on a Volvo S40. Any thoughts on either of these cars, or alternatives we should consider? Have roughly a month to buy something.

A Skoda perhaps?

If it has to be a diesel then I'd be looking at VAG group cars. Like Markjay, I'd be looking at Skoda - probably the Octavia - or maybe a Seat.

Hello

Have to say the VW engines do seem to give great MPG. As do the BMW's 118d ?

Not sure what the above are like combined to an auto though as most are manual.

My wife has a B class Cdi and that will do 45 to 50 mpg on a run easily (7 speed CVT auto)

Big inside, good sized boot, quite rare.

There are a few models such as the Volvo 'e' and Skoda greenline that way 75mpg or more... I guess these are for manual cars though and not sure what the real world MPG would be like?

Ours I know does 45 to 50 and is Auto, 4 doors, etc etc

Hello

. As do the BMW's 118d ?

Not sure what the above are like combined to an auto though as most are manual.

Why not go for a test drive today? Just let us know where so we can avoid the area, well at least until the snow has gone.:D

Update.

Volvo garage seemed totally uninterested in selling us anything - not the first time I have had this experience at a Volvo garage. Seat dealer a little better, as was Skoda dealer, but no diesel automatics in stock. Had an extended test-drive of a Citroen C4 for an afternoon and evening. Verdict - shockingly bad car, with the worst autobox I have ever encountered. Also averaged 44mpg, which is a long way short of the 66mpg average figure quoted.

Next stop was Honda garage, who did at least try very hard to sell us something. Tried an Insight Hybrid and a Civic Hybrid, both of which were possibilities. The Civic was a far nicer car to drive, but taking both of them on the same test drive route, the Insight gave 44mpg whereas the Civic gave a measly 33mpg.

Next stop, Mercedes garage for potential A/B class. Well the B class didn't seem to offer a lot over the A (more boot-space perhaps?), but did cost more. My wife just took to the A-class, so got an A180cdi.

Diesel Starlet, THERE IS NO BETTER! :):):)

My daily runner is a Mondeo Diesel, I do an average of 25K miles a year and it will cover 700 miles on a tank full, comfortable, bluetooth, dab etc etc. ideal as a work horse.

not as much fun as my 190e !

cheers

Si.

I ran a Citroen C4 diesel with the EGS gearbox for 3 years. Regularly got over 60mpg with 73mpg once on a 260 mile run ( motorway at 60 - 64 mph)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom