Opinions: W124 E320 conversion from an E220

Shall i carry out an M104 E320 swap on my E220?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BillyW124

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E320 coupe, W211 E320 V6 CDI, W211 E63 V8 AMG, R129 SL 280 V6, W215 CL 600 V12 Bi Turbo.
Hello :)

(BIG IF) :rolleyes: i wanted to go down this route, what's the obstacles involed in such a conversion?

'It will be cheaper to buy one' comments are not what im looking for please gents.

Besides I have already got one sitting all intact at the moment. I'm just figuring out if i should shift the engine and box or keep it for myself!

Pretty simple it seems- or not, take M111 out put M104 in. What's the probs that can arise from doing this?

Is there the need to change components such as engine mounts to accomodate a more heavy engine together with any other other components you may be able to think off?

From my understanding, as well as the actual engine big bits like the following will need to be swapped over:

• ECU
  • Gear box
  • Brakes
  • Diff
  • Exaust System
What programming will need to be carried out to sync ECU in terms of correct fuelling and running of the engine once swapped over?

And what is the rough costings of doing this type of conversion given the fact it wont be me carrying this out myself.

Doesn't sound such simple swapover now does it!

..but reading on crazy conversion threads on the net and here, this would look like a walk in the park. (Remember I have ALL components i need)

Last edited:
You forgot option 4,since you have evrything it'd be crazy not to do

Why not go for dropping a diesel in it?..........and leave the other one as is?

Why not go for dropping a diesel in it?..........and leave the other one as is?

The only thing is that he's got a donor car so the only expense would be the labour

There are possibly lots of things to consider .

As already mentioned , brakes need to be upgraded ( bigger calipers may mean wheels/tyres need to be changed ) , exhaust will be different , wiring loom may be different , landing panel/radiator may be different , front springs will be different , possibly shocks too to cope with extra weight , speedometer will be different with different ratio / max speed indication , propshaft may be different , pipe work from cooling system/ air-con may be different , throttle linkage/cable may be different , ECU's will be entirely different and not a matter of reprogramming existing ones on car .

That is just off the top of my head and there may be more .

I had one of these engines ( actually the 3.0L version out of my written off 300TE-24 with only 60K on it ) and had similar thoughts about putting it into my Fintail until I began to look into it and ended up selling the engine on .

Since there are plenty of 320's out there , I'm sorry to say but it really would be easier just to sell yours and buy a 320 if that is what you aspire to . The other way is guaranteed to be a headache as well as much more costly when you consider all the parts you'll have to buy ( unless you still have the complete donor car ) .

^ Derek I have the whole car, so buying parts is not going to be needed.

My obvious gut is not to do this, but i thought there isnt any harm in asking really and get the knowledge.

I can then make a proper decision.

I really want to know whats involved and what obstacles there will be.

I assume the 320 you have is not in as good condition as your 220? Would it not make more financial sense to yank all the good bits off the 220 and stick them on the 320?

I would think doing that along with a respray etc would still work out cheaper?

Loom
Radiators
Propshaft
Brakes
Cluster

Why bother when there are so many cheap good E320s out there?

People never finish these conversions, it will all end up getting scrapped...

I see where you are comming from, so with so many engine swaps do these people really change all these things?

Seems an awful lot in conjunction with the other bits i suggested that should be changed. In the grand scheme of things then, is changing bits that is thought of not making much of a difference a waste of time? i.e. does changing the prop shaft really make a difference for example?

I assume it may be bigger in size/fitment issues perhaps?

you are right though, if i was to do it it would be full whammy.

Doesnt look likely though now however! :dk: head says yes heart says no really.

I assume the 320 you have is not in as good condition as your 220? Would it not make more financial sense to yank all the good bits off the 220 and stick them on the 320?

I would think doing that along with a respray etc would still work out cheaper?

The engine in actual fact isnst at all bad, has full history and has pretty much MB stamps. Ok so it has 140k on it but its nothing really, however compared to my 103miler in comparison on the m111 its a lot!

Last edited:
Loom
Radiators
Propshaft
Brakes
Cluster

Why bother when there are so many cheap good E320s out there?

People never finish these conversions, it will all end up getting scrapped...

Who`s people Nick???I was the one telling him to do it considering he`s got everything needed for the job.Is not like he`s doing it to sell it on or anything,the car is a keeper

Who`s people Nick???I was the one telling him to do it considering he`s got everything needed for the job.Is not like he`s doing it to sell it on or anything,the car is a keeper

My car will be a keeper what ever happens, engine swap or not. Unless i get wiped out by an unfortunate accident!!? (touch wood)

I just cant help thinking i might be putting my foot in it for the worst (who knows what might creep up after the swap)

Currently i have a perfect engine that runs like a dream - seriously runs real good.

In any case, logically before i even put it in, the gear box and the engine will need to be fully refurbed so its all in tip top shape. Bills for sure will amount!

My expectations differ vastly to what another one may see as just a a simple swap. It really is quite a bit more than that with my frame of thinking and the way i would go about this.

The problem isnt my expectations. Well it is actually :doh:

If i had an unlimited budget my expectations can be met. But drawing the line somewhere would be needed. However Its drawing that line somewhere that wouldnt make me 100% feel like ive done it properly if ya'll get my drift.

Do somthing do it proper.

Its possible---- theoretically. You have all the "bits" necessary with a complete donor vehicle. BUT---- the things that will drive you daft are the unforeseen snags and consequences. First--originally is everything with these cars-- transplant a different powertrain and you have lost that----means it may be unsellable - I know you have no intention of selling at present but life has a habit of changing things? You will definitely need a full engineers report to insure it for example. Little practicalities --you will need 2 Vin numbers to order spares for example in the future. You will have a 4 speed hydraulic box in the 220 ----the 320 may have a 5 speed--- not so reliable. You will horsing around with the wiring a lot - not a good idea on cars of that vintage to be honest.
If you really want to mod the 220 car my inclination would be to stick a turbo or supercharger on the existing engine + mod the suspension and brakes= much easier and retains the original car's identity.

I'm not entirely convinced a 320 is actually a nicer car than a 220. The 320 is irritatingly thirsty, not especially powerful and front heavy.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people like them, but both a 220 and a 320 is a compromise; in many ways I prefer the compromise the smaller 4 pot engine gives you. It lacks the grunt, but more than makes up for it with better fuel economy and greater agility.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the responses and the poll votes.

Im leaving as is, the 220 will keep calm and carry on!!

If you are going to go to all the time trouble and expense, imho it only stacks up if you are creating something special, not a "knock-off" copy of a factory 320. Or if yours had a knackered engine and box. So for example - sticking in a 300-24valve would make it unique and a bit attractive to 24v fans, or of course the holy grail v8 or quick diesel.....

Its possible---- theoretically. You have all the "bits" necessary with a complete donor vehicle. BUT---- the things that will drive you daft are the unforeseen snags and consequences. First--originally is everything with these cars-- transplant a different powertrain and you have lost that----means it may be unsellable - I know you have no intention of selling at present but life has a habit of changing things? You will definitely need a full engineers report to insure it for example. Little practicalities --you will need 2 Vin numbers to order spares for example in the future. You will have a 4 speed hydraulic box in the 220 ----the 320 may have a 5 speed--- not so reliable. You will horsing around with the wiring a lot - not a good idea on cars of that vintage to be honest.
If you really want to mod the 220 car my inclination would be to stick a turbo or supercharger on the existing engine + mod the suspension and brakes= much easier and retains the original car's identity.

I think you have hit the nail on the head in that originality is everything.

Leave your M111 well alone, you are crazy! The clear winner. :thumb: + the 4 votes for NO!

Thanks chaps!

Last edited:

There's been a few engine conversions on here, but the only one that actually ran afterwards was Andy's C43 to C55 conversion?

Did the 190E with a 380SE engine ever go again, or the 107 with a C36 engine in it?

I agree with Grober - originality is everything with these cars. It saddens me to see some of the conversions that have been carried out on W124s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom