Opinions wanted for R63AMG 21 Inch wheels on a Mercedes S Class W221 AMG pack?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam87

Car
S65AMG V12 BiTurbo & S63AMG V8 BiTurbo Designo
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all keeping well!

As some of you have seen here I have a Mercedes S600 that I have done a lot of work to it.

When I was looking at buying some wheels for the car, there was only 2 style of wheels I was after, the GLE63AMG 21 inch or the R63AMG wheels which are also 21 inch

I bought the GLE63AMG wheels which are 21 inch and 10j front and back. It took me a long time to find them in the spec and colour I was looking for.
The other wheels that I was considering R63AMG ones are very very hard to come by!

I am happy with the wheels I got and I think wheels make the car. They fill the arches perfect and even though the car is lowered with big wheels, the ride is still very smooth.

About 2 weeks ago I was bored and was looking at some videos on youtube. There is a black S65AMG W221 with the R63AMG 21' alloys and that was the car that I saw 2 years ago when I was doing my car up. I thought those wheels really go well with the s class. Then it got me thinking, maybe I should try again to see if I could find this wheels. First place I looked for was on ebay and to my surprise there was a set of genuine ones for sale! I wasn't going to let anyone win them! :D
Just as the auction was about to end I put a bid and I won them.

They needed a refurb. The next day after picking them up, I dropped them off at an alloy garage for a full refurb.
I also got tyres for the wheels and I went for 255/35/21 fronts and 273/30/21 rears.

I was so excited to fit this wheels and I thought i'd have them as winter wheels. This way the car would look good summer time and in winter but i'll be honest, I don't really like them on the car :(
I don't know if it's because they need some big spacers as they are too far in or what but to me the car has lost the wow factor. It just looks to plain, too simple!

Before I put them for sale, I thought i'd ask here to get your opinions.

Should I buy some spacers and keep them or should I get rid of them? I think i'd have to buy 20mm spacers for the rear and 15mm for the front?

The only reason why I'm still thinking of keeping them is because they are so rare to come by in this size and I don't want to regret selling them later on

This are the wheels I currently have fitted to the car which I really like

This are the R63AMG alloy wheels that i'm not so sure about

Last edited:
Love them both. The R class wheels I would say are more in keeping with the cars age. The others are a bit, sorry but cheap looking. Look like you are trying too hard. But its only slighly.

I personally would keep them both.... But yes spaced out properly.

I think you’re new wheels are perhaps a little flat in colour. If you could get the face diamond cut, and the recessed areas painted then that might lift the colour.

PS the first set of wheels show are factory option/upgrade for the facelift W164 ML 63 AMG.

FWIW, I don't think the R class wheels do your car justice. Personally I do like them, but they don't look as nice as the one you had fitted previously.

Get rid of them. They just look very dated compared to what you have.

R63, i am biased as i have the 20" on my S-Class. They came when you ordered the AMG Pack, in 2008 !! I do like the GLE wheels as well.

I would keep them both :thumb:

R-Class wheels were available for the 221 in "smaller" 20-inch size. Mine came standard with the car but, same as you - I found them a little too bland looking. I'd go smaller and lighter, not bigger and heavier though - 19" in the front, 20" in the rear:

ux0bMMO.jpg

tXXBl0d.jpeg

Love them both. The R class wheels I would say are more in keeping with the cars age. The others are a bit, sorry but cheap looking. Look like you are trying too hard. But its only slighly.

I personally would keep them both.... But yes spaced out properly.

Thank you
Maybe they would look better if spaced out properly. I was so happy when i found them and thought i'd love the look but they just don't seem to do it for me. I think i'll buy some spacers and see how i feel

I think you’re new wheels are perhaps a little flat in colour. If you could get the face diamond cut, and the recessed areas painted then that might lift the colour.

PS the first set of wheels show are factory option/upgrade for the facelift W164 ML 63 AMG.

They do look a bit flat in the pic's or when it's dark but i asked the garage when they refurbed the wheels to have extra glitter on the paint and when the sun hitst he wheels they do look nice up close but maybe like you said, it might have looked better if i had done soomething with the wheels, maybe dimand cut the face would have looked better. I thought i'd go with the oem look. It wouldn't have costed me anything extra either as they do a good deal for me. I could always get them done again :D

FWIW, I don't think the R class wheels do your car justice. Personally I do like them, but they don't look as nice as the one you had fitted previously.

Thank you..... I don't know why i always thought they were from a GLE Mercedes. I like them as well but like you say i don't think they do the car justice

Get rid of them. They just look very dated compared to what you have.

My wife said the same thing 😂

R63, i am biased as i have the 20" on my S-Class. They came when you ordered the AMG Pack, in 2008 !! I do like the GLE wheels as well.

I would keep them both :thumb:

To be honest that was one of the reasons why i wanted this wheels as well as they came from factory with this design but in 20's as you say and being 21'' i thought they fill the arches better. I wish the rears were a bit wider though. I think this design wheels in 19'' and 20'' have a deeper concave for the rears whereas the R63 wheels are the same all four

R-Class wheels were available for the 221 in "smaller" 20-inch size. Mine came standard with the car but, same as you - I found them a little too bland looking. I'd go smaller and lighter, not bigger and heavier though - 19" in the front, 20" in the rear:

ux0bMMO.jpg

tXXBl0d.jpeg

Alex, you have the best looking S65AMG in the UK in my opinion. I wish i could buy it from you! I really like the wheels you have now, they fill the arches very nicely and go so well with your car. That colour combo is something else and i was being nosy and checked the mot history as i remember reading your car is very low mileage but it's nice to see that since you've had it, you actually drive it. I've seen a few S65AMG's on autotarder this past few weeks and a couple of them look very nice but i'd still choose your car over any of them

I did put the ML63AMG wheels back on the car..... I think i'll buy some spacers and try it again. If i don't like them with the spacers on, keep an eye on ebay if anyone would be interested on some 21'' AMG wheels :)

I did put the ML63AMG wheels back on the car..... I think i'll buy some spacers and try it again. If i don't like them with the spacers on, keep an eye on ebay if anyone would be interested on some 21'' AMG wheels :)
As mentioned they are too dull a diamond cut face would do wonders to them

The wheels on Alex's car suit the S-class much better than the 21" wheels on the OP's car, I think. Both sets of 21" wheels really do look, as someone has already said, as though he's trying too hard.

I decided to keep the 21's i fitted in the first place and the R63AMG wheels will go for sale at some point when i have time to put an advert up.
If anyone from here is interested in them, just let me know.
They will come with tyres for an S class

Personally speaking, I would keep the ones you have on. Changing the new ones to diamond cut or contrasting paint is just a variation on a theme. I have to say that I loved the ones that the car originally came with, but you won me over with present ones. I keep going back and looking at your original thread. That car is stunning. Never been a fan of older cars, but looking at yours:). As a serial S class owner, changed every three years for the next shiniest one, I may have been barking up the wrong tree. I love my S63 Coupe & the only change I would have is the Panamericana grille, but anywhere I look, its says " does not fit S63". Keep the pics coming.

Just had another look at your car. Initially, I said no, but looking again, I think they look pretty classy. Depends what you want bling or elegance. Car looks totally different, not so in your face. First looks aftermarket, second looks OEM. Don't now know what I prefer. One month bling, next month elegance. Keep both sets. Either way, as previously stated, beautiful:cool:

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all keeping well!

As some of you have seen here I have a Mercedes S600 that I have done a lot of work to it.

When I was looking at buying some wheels for the car, there was only 2 style of wheels I was after, the GLE63AMG 21 inch or the R63AMG wheels which are also 21 inch

I bought the GLE63AMG wheels which are 21 inch and 10j front and back. It took me a long time to find them in the spec and colour I was looking for.
The other wheels that I was considering R63AMG ones are very very hard to come by!

I am happy with the wheels I got and I think wheels make the car. They fill the arches perfect and even though the car is lowered with big wheels, the ride is still very smooth.

About 2 weeks ago I was bored and was looking at some videos on youtube. There is a black S65AMG W221 with the R63AMG 21' alloys and that was the car that I saw 2 years ago when I was doing my car up. I thought those wheels really go well with the s class. Then it got me thinking, maybe I should try again to see if I could find this wheels. First place I looked for was on ebay and to my surprise there was a set of genuine ones for sale! I wasn't going to let anyone win them! :D
Just as the auction was about to end I put a bid and I won them.

They needed a refurb. The next day after picking them up, I dropped them off at an alloy garage for a full refurb.
I also got tyres for the wheels and I went for 255/35/21 fronts and 273/30/21 rears.

I was so excited to fit this wheels and I thought i'd have them as winter wheels. This way the car would look good summer time and in winter but i'll be honest, I don't really like them on the car :(
I don't know if it's because they need some big spacers as they are too far in or what but to me the car has lost the wow factor. It just looks to plain, too simple!

Before I put them for sale, I thought i'd ask here to get your opinions.

Should I buy some spacers and keep them or should I get rid of them? I think i'd have to buy 20mm spacers for the rear and 15mm for the front?

The only reason why I'm still thinking of keeping them is because they are so rare to come by in this size and I don't want to regret selling them later on

This are the wheels I currently have fitted to the car which I really like

This are the R63AMG alloy wheels that i'm not so sure about

Hi, I think the wheels on a car make all the difference and the ones you have on now make your car look classy, sport and elegant at the same time. The new wheels may look good on another model, but just don't do your car justice. Stick with what you have on now is my vote ! Good luck in deciding.

I think your car looks really good.
I put 20" front and 21" rears on my S class a decade ago, but in my case it was to get the 285/30/21 rear tyres on to benefit the traction. The looks were very much a secondary consideration.:doh:IMGP5774.JPG

You're an exception, though; most put on larger wheels purely for the appearance - fashion victims to whom function is secondary.

@Sam87 hi mate I really like the look of your wheels amd really debating on a set of those 21 gl63 alloys. I wanted to ask are yours the 10j all round et46 and what tyre sizes are you using if you don't mind me asking? This is mine in the picture.

Thank you
Maybe they would look better if spaced out properly. I was so happy when i found them and thought i'd love the look but they just don't seem to do it for me. I think i'll buy some spacers and see how i feel

They do look a bit flat in the pic's or when it's dark but i asked the garage when they refurbed the wheels to have extra glitter on the paint and when the sun hitst he wheels they do look nice up close but maybe like you said, it might have looked better if i had done soomething with the wheels, maybe dimand cut the face would have looked better. I thought i'd go with the oem look. It wouldn't have costed me anything extra either as they do a good deal for me. I could always get them done again :D

Thank you..... I don't know why i always thought they were from a GLE Mercedes. I like them as well but like you say i don't think they do the car justice

My wife said the same thing 😂

To be honest that was one of the reasons why i wanted this wheels as well as they came from factory with this design but in 20's as you say and being 21'' i thought they fill the arches better. I wish the rears were a bit wider though. I think this design wheels in 19'' and 20'' have a deeper concave for the rears whereas the R63 wheels are the same all four

Alex, you have the best looking S65AMG in the UK in my opinion. I wish i could buy it from you! I really like the wheels you have now, they fill the arches very nicely and go so well with your car. That colour combo is something else and i was being nosy and checked the mot history as i remember reading your car is very low mileage but it's nice to see that since you've had it, you actually drive it. I've seen a few S65AMG's on autotarder this past few weeks and a couple of them look very nice but i'd still choose your car over any of them
Hi mate I hope you don't mind me asking but what tyre size are you running on the diamond cut wheels pls? And spacers. It looks gorgeous 😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom