Opinons needed W204 220 CDI noisy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulW204

Evening all,

I've just acquired my first Mercedes having come from BMW and Audi.

It's a 2011 facelift W204 220cdi sport estate 7G auto.

It's covered 70k and has a full merc history.

One question...

Are the 220CDI engines supposed to have a metallic rattle noise, like the sound of worn lifters when cold started? Appreciate it's a diesel but it does sound more like a knackered cab when it's cold. Fine once it's warmed up.

It's still in warrantee so if anything could be worn/faulty I'd like to get it fixed soon.

What do other people's CDIs sound like cold?

Thanks in advance

check oil level straight away as i find on mine it only lets you no its low WHEN ITS LOW!
it should not be that noisy i have owned some audi,vw pdi engines they are pretty noisy when cold then ok once warmed up i have 79k on mine c220 cdi and its pretty quiet compared to vw,audi alot more so when up to temp.
were is your oil level when car,s been stood for a while?.

Oil level is good, sitting on max mark.

I'll get mercedes to investigate it....doesn't sound like a usual noise.

Although it was a different engine and injection system, during the first winter that I owned my pre-facelift W204 C220CDI I'd notice a noise that I would have sworn was a sticky hydraulic lifter on first start-up from stone cold. It would disappear after a few seconds running which reinforced my view that it was oil related. But it wasn't...

Fortunately there was a top-notch technician at the supplying dealer who diagnosed it as pre-ignition caused by a faulty injector - which was replaced under warranty.

Not saying your car is the same, but it's certainly worth checking out.

Thanks for the reply. Does sound very much like pre ignition but not what I'd expect from an 11 plate car. From what I understood injector issues were/should be resolved on my car?

Hi, thought I'd follow up with progress incase somebody else suffers similar.

Took the car into main dealer and they found numerous injector faults, the injectors have had to be reconfigured as they were running out of sync.

Result was rattling, rough running from cold, harder starting and mixed hot idle performance. As the car is still in warrantee they seem keen to resolve it. They are confident injectors are not worn prematurely.

Hopefully I'll see a difference as they are telling me it runs much better.

Hi, thought I'd follow up with progress incase somebody else suffers similar.

Took the car into main dealer and they found numerous injector faults, the injectors have had to be reconfigured as they were running out of sync.

Result was rattling, rough running from cold, harder starting and mixed hot idle performance. As the car is still in warrantee they seem keen to resolve it. They are confident injectors are not worn prematurely.

Hopefully I'll see a difference as they are telling me it runs much better.

Hmmmm

I don't believe any of that from them.

I wonder if your engine is covered by the injector recall from MB.

Last edited:
Well being a 2011 facelift model I did kind of hope they would have sorted the injectors by then...

Any way of checking?

oh god, see mine is rattly too but i thought it was an issue because it was a diesel. IF MB found injector issues would they replace if car is out of warranty?

How much would MB charge to have a look? And how would I go about doing this?

2010 W204 C220 Sport Blueeff

GAH:(

Last edited:
I have a 2013 W204 C250 sport BE and it is FAR from quiet, so much so that I have posted in the past about how rattly the engine is.

It did go back to MB and they said one injector was replaced and I was reassured that it all sounded normal after that. Still sounds like a tractor in the mornings!!

If it wasn't for the fun if driving it, I'm not sure I could put up with the noise.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

Does anyone know if they do it out of warranty because of the recall?

I came from a VW diesel to the MB diesel, the VW was way quieter and smoother.

I had expected it though from press reviews eg whatcar giving it a 2 star rating for being so noisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom