Opinons on a Very high spec W210 with monster mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
A mate of mine (No its not me :) ) has asked me about this 2001 W210 E430 Avantgard.

Its currently for sale for £5995 due to its monster mileage and looks from the pictures like its mint. (One owner)
Its Avantgarde with every possible extra, AMG alloys (Reps)

He hasnt contacted the dealer yet to find out exactly what the mileage is.

Any opinions as to buying a W210 with maybe 250+k miles?

Obviously we will have to check for rust everywhere but apart from that whats likely to be an issue? gearbox etc?

Im thinking it has been a special hire taxi for long business pickups etc.

The dealer seems to be legit, selling cars up to 70k Bentleys.

Opinions!?!

media1.jpg

media2.jpg

media3.jpg

media4.jpg

Well someone has a 400k miler on this forum.
it looks great but i will suggest buy with your eyes and price accordingly

Looks pretty tidy from the photos.

Shame those replicas are not real Style IV Multipiece's (have a thing for wheels).

Is the price not high for such a high miler?

Have you or your mate driven it? I think that the gearboxes were go-able after around 130k miles, but I read that on mbworld.org when I used to have a W210, and had no history of mechanical problems with them at all.

Last edited:
If it's done a 1/4 of a million miles then I'd say it's overpriced.

There's no point buying one with such high mileage when they are relatively common cars and not expensive anymore. I am an advocate of well maintained, higher mileage cars but only where it makes sense.

If it had 200k miles less it would only be a grand or two more. Look at E55 prices now as well, genuine wheels on those too ;)

Just IMHO :)

Will

Looks immaculate from the pics and seems cheap for a 2001 car.

Any idea on the exact spec for it? Might give people and idea of price.

All I would imagine is that the V8 would easily cope with a big mileage. Don't know a lot about the W210 though.

Well, heres the spec:

FACELIFT MODEL, finished in brilliant silver metallic with anthercite black full leather upholstery, massive specification inc coms pack, sat nav, Tv, linguatronic, heated ventilated front seats, multi function steering wheel, 3 x RHR, multi airbags, pas, abs, air con and climate control, cruise and traction control, nokia phone prep with bluetooth, full electric pack, power folding door mirrors, bose audio pack with cd autochanger, F+R parktronic, remote c/locking alarm and immobiliser, xenon lamps, front fogs, colour coded bodywork, 18" AMG split rim pace car alloy wheels, and much more, long mot and tax'd, this car has covered a massive but effortless motorway mileage, by 1 non smoker suit and tie previous owner, but has been meticousley maintained regardless of cost from new, suit and tie non smoker previous owner, absolutley showroom condition both inside and out, looks and drives like a low mileage example, AA/RAC inspection invited, first to see and drive will definatley buy, please note the class's guide recommended retail price on this car is over £9,500, hence low price reflects the high mileage, so no time wasters please, at only £5,995 may p/x

I was thinking for the monster spec, and being a 2001 the price wasnt too bad?

Might be able to knock him down a bit by explaining that the wheels are copies ....

£6k for a car with more miles than the Enterprise seems steep , but what do i know .... :rolleyes:

Knock another 3p off for that !!! :D

The catch on the ashtray lid could be faulty as it is open in the pics

Its powering the Speed camera device - note the cable attached.

Only strange thing I can see is the gear knob is too high...

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but when cars get to that sort of mileage, and are still running most of the things that can go wrong, have and have been fixed. At least it is still a relatively "new" car, so age related failures/faults will not show yet. However, wear of mechanical components will be an issue, and would suggest a good indie inspection. £100 well spent if you ask me, especially if your eyes are glazing over with the spec!!:D :D

check the vin for all the extras if factory fitted or retro...check with dealer on warranty work .....get it on a ramp check for rust underneath ...remove plastic try under engine guard and check cross member plate for rusting through..... ask when glow plugs + injectors were changed + chain + gear box oil if none have been done then these would need doing on that millage

Last edited:
After speaking to Karl last night I thought I would give the dealer a call this morning.

It does apparently have power memory seats.
The mileage is 230K and it has a full MB history.
Comes with a 6 month warranty.

After speaking to Karl last night I thought I would give the dealer a call this morning.

It does apparently have power memory seats.
The mileage is 230K and it has a full MB history.
Comes with a 6 month warranty.

erm , no it doesnt unless the car pictured is different. The location for the memories is on the front doorcards in that big blank space below the window in the top pic.

What it will have is partial memory seats without the backwards/forwards motion and no memories.

Hmm. wonder why spec a car like that then and not have power seats :confused:

erm , no it doesnt unless the car pictured is different. The location for the memories is on the front doorcards in that big blank space below the window in the top pic.

What it will have is partial memory seats without the backwards/forwards motion and no memories.

If it does not go backward or forwards, what does it remember, who sat on it last ? :confused:

Sounds expensive to me, recently saw a similar spec & age E320 with 120k miles(if memory serves) for around £7300 (retail) from a dealer I know well. Petrol versions (especially larger ones) are currently valued well below what Glass's is quoting in the trade.

Just as an example I recently bought an E270 CDi which glass's trade valued at £13,900, trader friend reckoned he'd give no more than £12,500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom