Optimal used car mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ This is absolutley spot on;
" too many really good cars get a bit neglected in this country, when they get to 6 years old they are classed as old, which is silly really."

If you looks at the W124 - 1990's Eclass - they keep going forever, with the occasional suspension re-fresh. IMHO - much more "green" than buying a new battery car every 5 years as the main part of the car has run out of re-charge capacity.
I'd have one tomorrow if the ULEZ rules coming in let me...

I know this is still a bit controversial - but buying a used car with a big engine, and extending it's life is still much better than buying a new battery car, or even a new car with a small engine provided I drive less than 8K miles a year.

I also think the super cheap PCP deals post 2009 didn't help. M140i and Gold R for £179 a month + VAT, M3 for £399, S350 or 730d for £349.

I know my old man was given a price of £140 a month to renew the warranty on his S Class, plus it was still depreciating at £400 a month, so a new one was the financially sensible choice.

But those silly cheap PCP deals seem to be disappearing now, and with it I am sure we will see a return to more buying of older, still decent cars.

Many of my friends have gone from M3s and C63s, to 340i's, and now looking at 320i's or similar and still paying more a month, and then thinking "why don't I jut buy a 5 year old C43 or similar for less money than a new 320i or C200?"
With new car prices going through the roof, and the pcp deals doing the same I hope we will see more folk buying older, more fun used cars again. Many new cars are also a bit bloody boring too imho.

Friend of mine got a new C220d coupe a couple of months back, nice car, but the reality is after 6 cylinder diesels and petrols for the last 15 years or so he is not happy with his engine choice. I gave him a lift to the station the other day in a 2013 E350 Coupe that I had taken in part ex against my 5 series I was selling, and he said that it felt so much nicer than his car, I didn't have the heart to tell him I paid £200 less than the deposit on his new car, that he is now in for 47 months, and is bored of after about 2. You have got to really, really want a brand new car, and it has to be something you totally love too.

LOL, too true - a good friend of mine asked me what car he should buy - hasn't owned a car in ten+ years - and doesn't drive far.

My Answer - 8 -10 year old Volvo for £6-8K

His loaded brother persuaded him into a A200, brand new( On lease, £250 a month+ deposit)....and is he happy?

Obviously not, Do I have to listen to his complaining? Of course i do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom