Optimate on multiple batteries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A question... does anyone have a cost effective way of maintaining multiple batteries?

I have an optimate on the duke, which is absolutely great. I was thinking, if I get a second optimate, and hook up the other 10 or so car batteries in parallel, would the optimate be able to keep them all maintained?

I really don't want to buy 10 optimates (or optimate like things) - can anyone think of a solution?

M.

Contact Accumate (the distributor of Optimate & Accumate chargers) and ask them?

Last edited:
Just rotate. Give each car a couple of days and rotate onto the next one.

Just rotate. Give each car a couple of days and rotate onto the next one.

That's a lot of work... especially as some cars sit parked for the entire winter...

I'm going to pick up a second (larger, higher amperage) optimate tomorrow as my current one is more for motorbikes (0.6A). The one I'm picking up is a 2.8A one... so it'll do at least one car for now.

I'll email the manufacturers, but I was hoping someone has personal experience with a smart new device that I don't know about :p Something like the battery minder, which seems to be able to charge 2-3 batteries at a time (but can't find people with experience of it)
http://batteryminders.com/static_page.php?nick=b_multi (but can't find the product in the UK)

M

Last edited:
Having given the matter some further thought, wiring multiple batteries in parallel won't work with an Optimate-type charger as it actually monitors the discharge rate of the battery to decide when to switch into or out of float charge mode.

You need to use a separate charger on each one I'm afraid. Either that, or invest in one or two of these :D

Having given the matter some further thought, wiring multiple batteries in parallel won't work with an Optimate-type charger as it actually monitors the discharge rate of the battery to decide when to switch into or out of float charge mode.

You need to use a separate charger on each one I'm afraid. Either that, or invest in one or two of these :D

That actually works out £40 cheaper than buying 5x optimates... I may actually get one of those!

EDIT: After some reading - they don't seem to do the 20V desulphating bit, so I would need to ensure that I still have an optimate handy.... but could be useful nonetheless.

This is what I need:
http://www.accumate.co.uk/optimate pro-4.htm
but at £400 - it's cheaper to buy 4x optimate5s at £50 each

Last edited:
You don't need anything sophisticated once you are happy to have got the battery into an initial good state of charge with your Optimate so I reckon a few cheapo trickle chargers hooked up to individual batteries would prevent any self discharge? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VS7VVE/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

edit:- changed the amazon link to one that gets better reviews- there are bound to be others?

Last edited:
There is a trade optimate that our local bike dealer uses which can maintain 4 batteries at a time. Only thing is that the leads are short so the batteries have to be on the workbench rather than on the bikes.
I have 4 individual ones for my vehicles, and use a normal bike one on my 500SL and it keeps the battery fully charged no problem.

(Just read ST13phil's link and that is similar to the optimate one)

Last edited:
That actually works out £40 cheaper than buying 5x optimates... I may actually get one of those!
I knew you wouldn't be able to resist a gadget :D

I did look at the Optimate Pro-4 (and Pro-8) but decided it was probably a bit expensive unless you were running a dealership or workshop.

I've always found Shadowfax Engineering / Accumate good to deal with and very helpful whenever I've had any queries, so it's worth giving them a call to discuss what your best option is.

Lidl are doing their 13.99 charger/trickler from Thursday. Great value :thumb:

Last edited:
Those lidl/aldi ones have gotten some pretty good reviews... but I've never been able to find them! (edit: found it LIDL )

Do you have a link? I'll pop by lidl to look... is it from yesterday or from next week thursday?

M.

From 17th. Here you go:-

LIDL

The guys at accumate responded :)
Thank you for your email. You may use the OptiMate to charge two 12V batteries in parallel if they are installed on the same circuit. If the batteries are on separate vehicles then you would need to ensure that the sufficient precautions are taken to prevent against accidental short circuits.

So reasonably positive. That said, I'm thinking that at £14 a unit, I'll buy a load of the lidl ones and use those instead...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom