optimax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

anyone used optimax in the 3.2 V6 Mercedes engines (mine is a 1999 model).... i used it in a 2.0 mondeo and didnt notice much difference (if any), just wondering if anyone has experience with it on the merc engines?

SilverSaloon said:
hi

anyone used optimax in the 3.2 V6 Mercedes engines (mine is a 1999 model).... i used it in a 2.0 mondeo and didnt notice much difference (if any), just wondering if anyone has experience with it on the merc engines?

Put it through my 2.4 V6 a couple of times and noticed no difference at all I'm afraid

Saw the title - thought it meant the Laser eye surgery people:eek: :(

But as for fuel - can't say I notice any difference in anything - I just fill it up and go:rolleyes:

I get better fuel economy in my 2.3 supercharged 4-pot - enough to compensate for the higher price. I did read in AutoExpress a couple of weeks ago that Ad Stds Agency gave them a ticking off about the alledged performance benefits.

I also have 4 more top trumps to collect :D

Must say that the one time I gave it a try the only difference I noticed was how much lighter my wallet was when leaving the garage.

Although, I do get better performance from my bike when I run it on 98 octane unleaded (super plus or whatever they call it)

Guy

Gizmo750 said:
Although, I do get better performance from my bike when I run it on 98 octane unleaded (super plus or whatever they call it)

Guy
Got to agree with that. I ran my last 2 bikes on Optimax and the difference was quiet large. Perhapse because bike engines run at a lot higher RPM and are a lot more demanding on their oil and fuel????

Think it depends on the engine design, compression ratio and timing etc. Optimax has different combustion charcteristics & is much less prone to pinking so the ignition timing can advance itself more.

Certainly makes a very real difference in my old Vectra V6 (even idles more smoothly) and my mate with an older BMW 728 swears by it, but did nothing for a Ford Focus hire car.

Satch said:
Think it depends on the engine design, compression ratio and timing etc. Optimax has different combustion charcteristics & is much less prone to pinking so the ignition timing can advance itself more.

Certainly makes a very real difference in my old Vectra V6 (even idles more smoothly) and my mate with an older BMW 728 swears by it, but did nothing for a Ford Focus hire car.

Hi, optimax did seem to make my 2.5-16v idle better, but nothing more.
My golf definitely does go better and do more miles to the gallon maybe it has got something to do with engine type my golfs turbo maybe that has something to do with it making such a difference ,its most probably only dearer coz we live in rip-off Britain ;)

Worth trying a few tanks full, especially if the cars a few years old. Does seem to do a good job of cleaning injectors etc. Noticed a big difference on an old Saab I ran for a while - idle better, performance better, engine pick up moother, 3mpg more !!

Maybe it was just clogged up from years of crap supermarket fuel used by previous owner ??

Only reason I buy Optimax is that it marginally (5%ish) improves my economy to the point where I can get 2 return trips to the office (only just!), whereas with 95 RON I'm 20 miles short of getting home. The other reason is that my company pays for my fuel, and don't seem to have noticed that I'm using Optimax ;)

This should probably have been posted in the Engine section :) . Moving...

There are two ways that a petrol can affect power - additives and octane rating. I think Shell were claiming that they put in additives that increased power, but it seems that is doubtful. The octane rating is 98 a against the standard 95. This can give a bigger bang because it allows the ecu to advance the ignition relative to the lower octane rating. However, modern Mercs are optimised on 95 Ron. If you put in lower octanes the ecu will retard ignition to prevent pinking, but if you put in higher than 95 the ecu won't advance the ignition any further - unless you have your car chipped. So if you have a standard Merc 320V6 Optimax will make no difference whatever to performance. In theory anyway. In practice, with engines in various states of condition and thae vagaries of ecu management, I guess it's possible that the higher octane rating might make your engine work better.

Last edited:
Makes a massive difference to my 500SEC. In fact, it's the only petrol that the car runs perfectly on. If I even put one of the competitors high octane petrol in, which are 97 RON rather than 98, I start to notice the odd misfire on idle. When I had my 230, there was no difference. But that car ran perfectly on standard unleaded anyway.

Tried it again today in my golf turbo, returning 29.9mpg with mixed driving, if it keeps this up i think i might have to keep using it till its SOLD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom