option 480

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark.t

Banned
Car
E300 td tomtom sat nav in car dvd
just done a search on my vin, and iam curious about option 480 self levelling suspension...I thought only estates (mines a saloon) had this,....what will it look like and where will the reservoir be if there is one ... :confused:

My previous car, 1986 W201 190E, had the self levelling rear suspension option. If your car is similar to that then look for a mechanical pump that's bolted to the front of the engine, it's driven directly from the cam shaft IIRC. and the reservoir for the hydaulic oil was located close to the off side headlight. Of course it maybe a totally different set up for the W124 but I'm sure that saloons could be specified with this option not just the estates.

S.

The rear shocks will look different to normal and will have 2 pipes running to each and there will also be a load sensing valve on the rear end, usually connected bewtween a lower arm and the body.

Thanks for that....now for the dumb question what are the benefits of this system over the standard as mine has a f/ftow bar as well would this be a reason for the option ....thanks in advance

mark.t said:
Thanks for that....now for the dumb question what are the benefits of this system over the standard as mine has a f/ftow bar as well would this be a reason for the option ....thanks in advance
The main benefit is that the back of the car should remain fairly level no matter how heavy the back is loaded because the system has its fluid pressure maintained by the pump. It's an option that is usually fitted to cars that will do a lot of towing. My 190E also had the MB factory fit detachable tow bar which was a £1.5k :eek: option at the time of ordering so I was told.

*EDIT* Five bodies in the boot? With self levelling rear suspension no one will ever know as the back of the car won't sag/drop. :devil: Sorry for the poor taste illustration. :p

S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom