Optional accessories and value?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
Recently I've been looking for a replacement car and have seen a few in various optional guises.
I saw a CLS 350cdi in completely basic spec, not even heated seats and no fold down back seat, which is a very rare (but desirable to me) option.

On Tuesday i saw a C-coupe with nice spec.

The Spec is:

C-Coupe 250Cdi
Silver paint
Porcelain leather
Comand with Linguatronic
Media gateway
Piano black dash inserts instead of aluminium
Xenons
Adaptive lighting
Split fold rear seats.
Heated seats
Front and rear parking sensors
Eco Stop/Start.

Do you think these options make the car worth more than a standard C-Coupe 125 edition, or are they all standard?

P1040225_zps2270508b.jpg

P1040217_zps92d2018d.jpg

P1040216_zps560a6469.jpg

Last edited:
The Spec is:

C-Coupe 250Cdi
Silver paint
Porcelain leather
Comand with Linguatronic
Media gateway
Heated seats

Do you think these options make the car worth more than a standard C-Coupe 125 edition, or are they all standard?

I have left out the items which I believe were optional.
Which trim is it and which year.

Btw, auto would have been optional as well.

Last edited:
I have left out the items which I believe were optional.
Which trim is it and which year.

Not sure what you mean by that ^. ? Are the ones left in the list all standard fit?

If I read you correctly the Xenons, adaptive lights, parking sensors and folding seats are extras.

The car is a 2012 C-Coupe 125 Sport AMG. Was leather included on those? I do like the porcelain. :)

Last edited:
Looks great, and I agree the porcelain really sets it off.

huge difference between a CLS and C coupe ...

Looks great, and I agree the porcelain really sets it off.

I thought so, which is why I bought it. I didn't tell Mrs Dm and had to pick her up, who on getting in declared She's having it...

Back to the drawing board...:doh:

Last edited:
huge difference between a CLS and C coupe ...

I know, hence I can stomach a 250Cdi in a C-class, but not a CLS. I needed a car quickly, not enough time to get a CLS in the spec I want.
I only saw this by accident, 2 minutes later it was mine.

Really like the whole colour combination of exterior / interior mix. I think it looks 'fresh' compared to having a black interior. The only thing I would add would be some black AMG floor mats before next winter so you dont ruin the nice porcelain ones.

Not sure on the worth of the options or if they were included in the special edition. But, either way, they are all desirable and this will always be attractive to any future purchaser over a less well specced car :thumb:.

Do it I would say

Nice looking car - although with my family the seat would only be porcelain for 5mins :)

The only optional extra that I would really miss out of that list would be the Xenons.

The concept of "worth" is what allows the manufacturers and dealers to make huge margins on the stuff that we like to bolt on. The bad news, as I'm sure you already know, is that you can only get a fraction of the cost of all the bolt-ons back when you sell the car. Unless it's a fully loaded dealer demonstrator of course, in which case they seem to think that the car is still worth a kidney when they sell it on.

The bottom line is, what will give you a happy feeling and not trouble your wallet too badly? If you will keep the car a while then forget about losses when you come to sell. Averaged out, it's not going to be a deal breaker. Unless you keep it for an eternity, in which case maintenenace of doo-dads is going to be pricey.

Assuming you are going to be sitting in the car for many hours, you've got to feel it's the right place to be. If there's stuff you really want or need it's often a mistake to hope that it won't itch away in the long run. Personally, I'd always go for something smaller or older but with a decent spec than the bog standard Ford Cortina. I can also say that the black ash trim and porcelain leather look terrific. I'm going to regret having that colour leather one day, but it looks so much better than driving around with a cockpit like a hearse.

There's only one word of caution I have to offer and that's engines. I thought heart had ruled head when I went into the showroom expecting to buy a 250 but made the mistake of also test driving a 350 (admitted both in E-Class, not C, but you get my drift). I'm happy to report that the 350 is an absolutely bonzing car and I'm all loved up. But if I was a road warrior, doing the miles I'd have gone for the 250 and saved a lot of money on fuel. Overall, I think you've made the right decision.

p.s. Now you've gone for the C, invest in some pukka MB all seasons rubber mats. Those white AMG mats are impossible to keep clean.

Last edited:
The bottom line is, what will give you a happy feeling and not trouble your wallet too badly? If you will keep the car a while then forget about losses when you come to sell. Averaged out, it's not going to be a deal breaker. Unless you keep it for an eternity, in which case maintenenace of doo-dads is going to be pricey.

Assuming you are going to be sitting in the car for many hours, you've got to feel it's the right place to be. If there's stuff you really want or need it's often a mistake to hope that it won't itch away in the long run.

There's only one word of caution I have to offer and that's engines. I thought heart had ruled head when I went into the showroom expecting to buy a 250 but made the mistake of also test driving a 350 (admitted both in E-Class, not C, but you get my drift). I'm happy to report that the 350 is an absolutely bonzing car and I'm all loved up. But if I was a road warrior, doing the miles I'd have gone for the 250 and saved a lot of money on fuel.
I do a fair mileage but still want the 350Cdi for a CLS, this isn't available with a 350Cdi.

The seats are nowhere near as comfortable as CLS seats, so this car may go sideways fairly soon.
This car is a hoot to drive though. :)

Oops just noticed ........ you already bought it :eek:

Not sure what you mean by that ^. ? Are the ones left in the list all standard fit?

If I read you correctly the Xenons, adaptive lights, parking sensors and folding seats are extras.

The car is a 2012 C-Coupe 125 Sport AMG. Was leather included on those? I do like the porcelain. :)

What I left in the quote, post # 2 were definitely optional, these were:

Silver paint (this must have been metallic)
Porcelain leather
Comand with Linguatronic
Media gateway (this could have been standard, if you mean usb/ipod connectors)
Heated seats

What I meant by trim level, is that xenons werent a standard spec on SE, but were on AMG sport. Then as of late 2012 AMG Sport Plus.
All other trims did not include xenon/adaptive lights.

What I left in the quote, post # 2 were definitely optional, these were:

Silver paint (this must have been metallic)
Porcelain leather
Comand with Linguatronic
Media gateway (this could have been standard, if you mean usb/ipod connectors)
Heated seats

What I meant by trim level, is that xenons werent a standard spec on SE, but were on AMG sport. Then as of late 2012 AMG Sport Plus.
All other trims did not include xenon/adaptive lights.

Thanks.
It's early 2012 so the adaptive lights were an extra as was Eco stop-start.

Adaptive lights is probably the one feature on my car that I can't decide whether I like or not. Sometimes I switch it on and sometimes not. Not sure whether I'd pay extra for it.

Nice buy, I also have the Piano Black interior trim and it does look nice.
Remap is a must for better mpg's ;)

That's a lovely car, DM. :cool:
Hope to see it at a curry night soon maybe.

Congrats on the car, Will. The piano black trim looks so much better than the brushed ally with a light colour interior. Mind you, you'll be forever dusting it and polishing off finger marks ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom