Or exterior clk500 a209 hood repair?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
So has anyone any ideas how to remedy this? The fabric on the underside gets bunched up and is forced pass the window outer seal.
F183C343-6B1E-49BA-B467-AF5638AAFC74.jpeg

The car has an elastic strap on either side. The job of this strap is to pull the water pocket in as the roof closes.

These straps break. I have the same issue on mine. I will take a picture for you to show exactly where the elastic straps are. I have not got around to fixing mines yet but have seen suggests to use safety pins, super glue etc.

I have the same on mine, but looks too complicated , so I will be interested in how to sort it aswell

As a temporary measure, when closing the roof I always leave it open a little, this allows the water pocket to be tucked in by hand and then the roof can be fully closed. That way it is not damaging the trim and of course it looks a bit better tucked in properly.

Broken elastic on mines. To see this, the roof has been partially opened so that the rear window is upright. I did take another photo to show this but it is too large to upload.

5E6E710E-4622-4E5D-824F-65DD99C3B2F0.jpeg

Space is pretty tight, I was going to see if I could get a plastic rivet to hold this elastic together.

Last edited:
Quite a detailed video on replacing the water bags. Quite useful to see how everything is put together.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I had a quick look yesterday, and indeed the elastic has broken both sides.

Hopefully this weekends job is my wife and I are going to attempt to stitch the elastic back together will try and get some pic's lol

Hopefully this weekends job is my wife and I are going to attempt to stitch the elastic back together will try and get some pic's lol

Look forward to the pics.

I have heard that some CLK owners have carefully cut out the water bags (silly name they are not there to hold water) to prevent this from happening. It doesn't appear to affect the hood in any way or its ability to keep water out.

I have heard that some CLK owners have carefully cut out the water bags (silly name they are not there to hold water) to prevent this from happening. It doesn't appear to affect the hood in any way or its ability to keep water out.
That puzzled me too. Wonder why they are there. Maybe they are there from the days that Mercedes over-engineered? (long gone sadly!)

If that's the case , I'll do that with mine as its started to push the plastic out!

Just got this reply from Rudeney on BenzWorld.org (really useful dedicated W209 section on there)

They do "hold" water. The canvas is not sealed around the side rear window. The glass and its frame just sit on the canvas. The water bags are the seal between the canvas and the sides of the glass frame. The reason that they are "bags" is because they expand and collapse as the top is opened and closed and the glass articulates. If you remove them, you will get water coming in around the glass. If they are broken, they can be replaced with a repair kit:

https://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/RearWindow.pdf
https://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/RepairWaterPocket.pdf
https://benzbits.com/w209/soft_top/ReplaceWaterPocket.pdf

You don't really have to buy the official MBZ repair kit. There are aftermarket kits, and even a good vinyl repair kit would probably work. It's also not necessary to cut the old water bag out if it's just a tear - that can be repaired in place with the right material and adhesive.

Now, the the water bag is not properly folding in so that a bit of it sticks out between the glass and canvas, that is because one of the elastic straps that pulls it back in has broken or detached from the frame.

Did you get the broken strap sorted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom