Votes: 27 36.0%
  • Take the car as it is.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Ask for the paintwork to corrected.

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Ask for a discount.

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
On a recent visit to a Mercedes Dealership I noticed the paint finish on this black 250CDI.

The pictures show a shiny finish to the paintwork, but the "Orange Peel" ripples would cause me to reject the car.
If the ripple finish was evident after an accident repair I would assume that the work had been contracted out to the cheapest available bodyshop.

How can the ripple finish be deemed as acceptable for any new car form any manufacturer.

Orange peel can be caused by a number of things - Thinners evaporating too quickly, too thick a coat of paint, spraying too close, incorrect pressure etc..
I'd have thought that a premium brand such as MB would have this sort of thing off to a fine art, but what they are offering with this car, however shiny, is below the standard I'd expect from any manufacturer.

I can't even think of a cost-cutting reason that would justify such shoddy workmanship.

Standards are falling.

Photo696.jpg

Photo698.jpg

Photo694.jpg

Photo698.jpg

That's a particularly bad example, but its a horrifying trend. I suspect that our Detailing friends will say that paint ain't what it used to be.

That's a particularly bad example, but its a horrifying trend. I suspect that our Detailing friends will say that paint ain't what it used to be.

Agreed.

I couldn't photgraph other parts of the car for fear of being rumbled.

That car has been through a supposed quality control system at the manufacturing plant and a PDI. It would seem the whole process is manned by "That'll Do, Nodding Dog's". :rolleyes:

Next time I visit a showroom I'll take DM along with me, armed with the dreaded paint gauge. :devil:

The kind of orange peel you saw has been in evidence on MB (and other) cars for the past 10-15 years. I remember asking about it at my dealership some years ago, and was told that it was due to the water-based paints that manufacturers now have to use. That was also one on the theories posited in this recent thread on the subject: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/110286-quality-paint-finish-mbs.html

I voted for the paint correction option, as I've heard it said that this kind of orange peel is actually a problem with the finish of the clear coat rather than the paint itself. Rejecting the car won't really help you, as the next one will probably be just the same. And what amount of discount would you be happy with, bearing in mind you'd still have to live with the issue.

..with you on this one ringway and as above thread that i previously posted on this topic. it really is crap

..but not as bad as BMW, have you seen the new 3 series front wings?!:crazy:

voted to be corrected

Last edited:
I voted to take the car as it is.

That is exactly how any new MB will be delivered - hence it's of normal quality.

A discount won't alter the paint finish and would not be offered either.

You might be able to flat and polish some of the peel out, but do you really want to start aggressive wetsanding and compounding a brand new car (?)

It's not just MB paintwork, most new cars as like this. VW/Audi group, BMW too I think. All have been for some while too.

I guess the option to purchase is that of the buyer. That's how the cars come these days, take it or leave it :eek:

'They don't make them like they used to' :doh:

Will

the so called orange peel affect is caused as Mocas says the clear coat because of VOC contents thick clear with min thinner hence no flow out and they are painted by robots which cannot see the finish they are putting on !, all paints are done this way
and have been for over 12 years straight colour or metalic is all clear over base system they even now use one coat wonder clear yes just one coat !

Sshhhh!! Don't advertise this to the dealerships - or MB.

The next thing you know they will charge extra for the novelty paint finish.

"Option 853 - Matte wrap - £1500"
"Option 854 - Orange-peel effect paint - £1950"

:rolleyes:

I guess the more people reject cars that are what they consider to be sub standard then hopefully the message will filter back so things improve. Hitting sales is the only thing manufacturers will notice.

Wasn't the change to water based paint something to do with 'enviroMENTAL issues'?

There are also going to be a proportion of cars refinished after damage in transit? Many owners would be dismayed to find their new purchase has " history" even before its left the showroom floor.

This would be a great opportunity to bait the dealership sales staff.

"Please tell me, exactly how does a paint finish like that exemplarise your much-publicised ethos of 'the best or nothing'?"

Well Sir it would appear that in this case you are in receipt of one of our "nothing" cars. :p

Orange Peel?

Some years ago, I met the marketing director of a well known car maker. I asked if I could buy the car on display-answer 'No but we can supply an identical car'. When questioned about it being identical, it turned out 4 men had spent a week denibbing, polishing and buffing up the paintwork of the car on display !
For the record it is possible to get an orange peel free finish irrespective of the type of paint used.

Most people just want their cars to look clean and shiny. They don't even notice the orange peel, even the car in the pics wouldn't be seen as a problem so most would just accept it.

Only a small percentage of the population would find the quality of the finish objectionable, I'm one of them (and as such wet sanding My C at the end of the month.)

A degree of orange peel is inevitable. Manufacturers can do something about it but it means hand polishing which is expensive and 99% of people won't pay for the extra for it. Detailers exist to cater for the 1% of those who would.

A full wet sand would probably cost £1000+ and take 3 days. You would be blown away by the results though.

As far as the car in the pictures is concerned I'd put money on that having been repaired after manufacture.

I voted to take the car as it is.

That is exactly how any new MB will be delivered - hence it's of normal quality.

A discount won't alter the paint finish and would not be offered either.

You might be able to flat and polish some of the peel out, but do you really want to start aggressive wetsanding and compounding a brand new car (?)

It's not just MB paintwork, most new cars as like this. VW/Audi group, BMW too I think. All have been for some while too.

I guess the option to purchase is that of the buyer. That's how the cars come these days, take it or leave it :eek:

'They don't make them like they used to' :doh:

Will

Hi Will,

not a good idea to flat and polish factory paint just not enough on there

Hi Will,

not a good idea to flat and polish factory paint just not enough on there

There is. But it isn't something you should try without a good paint thickness gauge and a very good understanding of what you are undertaking and the techniques you should use. In fact it is best left to a professional.

The clearcoat on modern cars makes up about 50% of the total coating thickness. I would expect most clearcoats to be in the region of 40-60 microns with repaired sections generally having a lot more (there is no guarantee of this of course and you should always check regularly.) Wet sanding with 2000/4000 grit discs will remove 10-15 microns of clearcoat to remove the orange peel and another 2-3 microns to achieve a very deep reflective surface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom