Votes: 27 36.0%
  • Take the car as it is.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • Ask for the paintwork to corrected.

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Ask for a discount.

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rather like house price values, this figure demonstrates how meaningless "average" figures can be when applied nationally.

"Meaningless" is something of an overstatement. There will, of course, be regional variations (and regional statistics for house prices/salaries/etc are readily available), but when looking at a trend over time, an average figure serves a valid purpose. You just need to adjust it to reflect individual (or local) circumstances.

I posted the following just last month about the state of MB's paintwork. Seems Lexus can pefect it with water based paint:

Agreed-Modern MBs paint is awful. Saw a black B class at a dealer under a downlighter and it it looked like something my 11 year old niece could have done. I spoke to a salesman about it and asked why the paint finish is so poor. He said it was the water based paint they have to use now. He said all manufacturers are now like that to which I replied that Lexus don't have that problem. I had just stepped out of a Lexus dealer, looking at an IS220 and the paint on all thier cars was spot on-no orange peel there! He couldn't comment further. Have a look at the paint on a new Lexus next time you are near a dealer-It's absolutely superb. Mind you, so is the panel fit too-all gaps spot on

"Meaningless" is something of an overstatement. There will, of course, be regional variations (and regional statistics for house prices/salaries/etc are readily available), but when looking at a trend over time, an average figure serves a valid purpose. You just need to adjust it to reflect individual (or local) circumstances.

I think that "meaningless" is a good description since such a figure isn't even close to reflecting the reality for the majority of working people in Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, northern England, the Midlands, the West Country etc. etc.

I d id look at a red SLK years ago at Donny when it was onthe other side of the road.

When I said it was like Raffertys motor car ( an old Val Doonican song), it was 40 shades of red.
The salesman said, sir we picked this car deliberately it is not a trade in! I laughed and he got upset. I could also get five fingers in the boot gap but another car in the yard I could not get past my fingernail.
I came home looked on auto trader found a car near Ferry Bridge, went over; they were emigrating bought it there and then. R 262 BBU I think?
That salesman put the phone down on me and did not belive me he thought I was a time waster.
I refused to deal with Donny while he was there, and bought my Mercs from Lincoln.
he moved on but I will never deal with him or any dealership he works at.

Is it connected to being Black paint? Also mentioned in post 42.

I suspect the fire red opal looks flat and changes colour after a while as well.

In terms of durability it's supposed to be pretty good.

They introducted 'Nano-particle' clearcoat for the paintwork some years ago. And the current cars are also galvanised - which should help rust-wise on the bodywork.

They'll still get swirled and chipped etc, but the paintwork finish isn't likely to become any more weathered as a result.

A little OT, but in times where we are critical of stuff like this, it's worth noting how cheap new cars are these days. I reckon they're about half the price that they were 20 years ago in real terms.

Quick look on MB's website and the E-class coupé starts at just £31,840 - in 2011.

How much did a base model 124 coupé cost in the late 80s or early 90s, and how did that compare to average earnings?
Not so sure, my car has rust, corneds has rust.

I suspect as steel quality may not be what it was back then, that we will see cars corroding more and more.

I love silver cars so this thread doesn't affect me too much as I would probably only buy a silver Mercedes, bar developers car because that one seems not to breakdown. I just like them.

Well i clicked on to accept the car as what i see in the photo's is industry standard. Which by the way is a pain in the butt because when we repaired a Fiat with 800 Mls on it the owner inquired why the panel we repaired was so much smoother than the rest of the car, we suggested taking the discussion up with the Fiat dealer. But on another point we look after a fleet of cars for a large building company and we have had to wet flat and burnish brand new cars for the managing directors,they like flat shiney ones so the modern paint finish is not as good as it was in the 70's and 80's ( when i was a lot younger ) lol.. George.

That's a particularly bad example, but its a horrifying trend. I suspect that our Detailing friends will say that paint ain't what it used to be.

thats a good example bud i have seen worse paint jobs on mercs than that. i work in a merc dealership and pdi cars every day..the finish on the bumpers is better quality. if only they could spray the body with the same finish
most customers just want a shiny finish out the garage they aint looking for pristine looks ,most would not know what orange peel was.
poss more mercs in my area are lease cars ,they dont even get interior mats in them as the profit is calculated over 3-4 years lease inc servicing and repairs
i am a polishing junkie and have been for years ,when i got my new slk 172 model from my dealership 4 weeks ago ,when doing my own pdi i found dents in the panels chipped paint around the o/s sill at the front and all alloys were scratched in the polished surfaces ,i went balistic ....4 new wheels later dents taken out and a visit to the paint shop i was calm cool and collected then after the clean up the paint was covered in industral fall out that had to be taken off with a claybar i got it in white because it does not show orange peel as much as a dark colour and i hate seeing swirls/holograms in paint
sorry for the rant
geo p:wallbash:

Might have been repaired- a lot of new cars have had a bit of paint here and there before they even reach the first owner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom