Order process - build slot or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkJL

Car
CLA
Hello all,

Ordered a new CLA at my local dealership in a specific colour where they found one in stock. Was called a few days later to be told that one car was no longer available. I guess this colour in particular is quite uncommon as I also could not find any used ones nationwide.

I asked whether they would build a new one in that specific colour and they said it was just a case of waiting to see what Mercedes HQ sends them each month. They said there was no point requesting that they build it as that could take longer.

Separately I was in touch with two other dealerships via Carwow who gave conflicting info and offered me much better discounts. They both said they had build slots allowing for a March delivery. I was reluctant to go with these as they are quite far away and I would not be able to speak to them face to face to discuss the details or part exchange. My local dealership said they were probably lying about the build slots.

Can someone please help me clarify who is giving the correct info here?

I think your dealer is saying they might be lying about having build slots as he does not want you to go to them, can you push him a bit harder to try to fulfil your need if he wants to keep your business. When I ordered a Jaguar XJL 9 years ago my dealer ( who I have now known 30 years ) told me they used to pre-book build slots with Jaguar so they had some slots ready for when a customer was to order a car, they did not need to finalise details of the order until couple of weeks before. That was still a 3 month wait for the car though but at the time I did not think unreasonable as I was getting exactly what I wanted in a rare colour choice as well.
Regarding part exchange values etc a lot of dealers just go by an online valuation for your car nowadays as opposed to the old fashioned way, give the other dealers your part exchange details and ask for a ballpark figure over the phone first and explaining you are not local but may consider dealing with them if they can help you out.
This time of year any dealer will be glad to get another sale as it is Christmas and New Year time so people are hardly rushing to buy a new car.
some years back a friend of mine and his pal took a look in a Mercedes dealer's showroom between Christmas and New Year and ended up buying 2 S-class there and then, they were both brand new cars that were already in the " network". They got a brilliant deal and the sales person could not believe his luck on a quiet day !!

Thank you both for your replies.
@JBD I would be grateful if you could let me know if you have anything to add.

It’s completely down to what the individual dealer has available. The UK has had January and February allocation already, awaiting March. We’ve used all our slots up to Feb for existing orders and still have some outstanding.

It sounds like your dealer is awaiting March allocation to place your order. Hopefully that will be happening in the next week or so, so you should have a confirmed slot soon

I think your dealer is saying they might be lying about having build slots as he does not want you to go to them, can you push him a bit harder to try to fulfil your need if he wants to keep your business. When I ordered a Jaguar XJL 9 years ago my dealer ( who I have now known 30 years ) told me they used to pre-book build slots with Jaguar so they had some slots ready for when a customer was to order a car, they did not need to finalise details of the order until couple of weeks before. That was still a 3 month wait for the car though but at the time I did not think unreasonable as I was getting exactly what I wanted in a rare colour choice as well.
Regarding part exchange values etc a lot of dealers just go by an online valuation for your car nowadays as opposed to the old fashioned way, give the other dealers your part exchange details and ask for a ballpark figure over the phone first and explaining you are not local but may consider dealing with them if they can help you out.
This time of year any dealer will be glad to get another sale as it is Christmas and New Year time so people are hardly rushing to buy a new car.
some years back a friend of mine and his pal took a look in a Mercedes dealer's showroom between Christmas and New Year and ended up buying 2 S-class there and then, they were both brand new cars that were already in the " network". They got a brilliant deal and the sales person could not believe his luck on a quiet day !!

There’s hundreds of S Class in physical stock, but models like CLA, B Class petrol and A35/45 have fairly significant backlogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s completely down to what the individual dealer has available. The UK has had January and February allocation already, awaiting March. We’ve used all our slots up to Feb for existing orders and still have some outstanding.

It sounds like your dealer is awaiting March allocation to place your order. Hopefully that will be happening in the next week or so, so you should have a confirmed slot soon

Thanks JBD. The impression I got from the salesman was that he was not going to place a factory order at all, and I just needed to wait to see what stock gets allocated to their dealership each month. This confused me as well as I did not think that dealerships just get what Mercedes gives them rather than selecting what they want. I have been waiting for him to call back for nearly 2 weeks.

Thanks JBD. The impression I got from the salesman was that he was not going to place a factory order at all, and I just needed to wait to see what stock gets allocated to their dealership each month. This confused me as well as I did not think that dealerships just get what Mercedes gives them rather than selecting what they want. I have been waiting for him to call back for nearly 2 weeks.

We get allocated cars, which will come through with random specs on. We can then go in and change them to customers specs for forward orders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to give everyone an update....

I went to another dealership further afield and by chance they had a 3 month old C class coupe demo that was not on sale but they offered to me as it was in the colour I wanted. I decided to go for that due to the uncertainty of the CLA.

When I phoned the original dealership back I found out my sales consultant had left the company! The other consultant said that they had no build slots available and even had orders from October that had no delivery dates yet. They had no issues with giving me a deposit refund.

Thank you for everyone's help. Now the happy owner of my first Mercedes. :)

car.jpg

From the pic I can't quite work out what colour it is....does it have a tinge of gold?. Either way it looks great. I think the C class coupe in any colour, just such a nice shape.

Thanks! It's called Mojave Silver but I think it's got more of a hint of gold instead. Definitely a deeper and warmer colour than iridium silver.

Can someone tell me when likely I may be getting my CLA 250 2020?
I ordered if since Oct 2019 and yet to receive it. My dealership initially said I should be getting it by mid/end of january 2020 but I have not, they kept on postponing it when ever I call them. They said it is already manufactured and waiting for transport.
How can I track it myself? Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom